U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to charlotte, looking for moving companies, luxury homes, for sale by owner homes.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,965 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was wondering if anyone would be able to volunteer advice/information about an upcoming move my husband and I are attempting to make.

My husband (30) is from Queens, NY and I (23) am from Kansas City, KS. We were both born and raised in our hometowns, and met in Naples, Fl where we currently live. We have both lived here for about 3 years and are DYING to move. Naples is a pretty vacationing/retirement town, but that's about it. It is a little too sleepy for our tastes, and we're both looking for something different. We have looked at moving almost everywhere in the states that we have friends and family. From LA and Vegas to ATL. In all of our research, we fell in love with North Carolina. We had focused all of our attention on Charlotte (we even went up there recently to interview for a few positions), but soon discovered Raleigh. It seems as though both would make a great place to live, but we wanted input on where would be the best place for us.

What we're looking for:

Job Opportunities.
Of course this will be low no matter where we move right now.

Good night life.

Safe.

Good Schools/neighborhoods. For when we decide to start our family. Also, my sister's family may be following us with their two preschool aged children.

Friendly.

Any information/advice anyone could provide would be so helpful! Thank you!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 PM

2,567 posts, read 8,552,085 times
Both Charlotte and the Triangle region offer what you're looking for. My advice, especially given the tough economy right now, is to keep yourselves open to both areas, apply for jobs, and see where you might land. I'd strongly advise against moving to either area hoping to find a job after arriving.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:35 PM

6,601 posts, read 10,960,782 times
Job Opportunities. Of course this will be low no matter where we move right now.

Raleigh
America's best jobs in the hottest markets | 3 | Business 2.0
Charlotte
America's best jobs in the hottest markets | 4 | Business 2.0 (Wachovia has been bought BTW)

Good night life.

Charlotte

YouTube - urban charlotte

Bobcats' arena station (watch in "high quality" icon is on the bottom right corner of this next video)

It is not night life, but here are some "high quality" Panthers Sunday videos

YouTube - Panthers Sunday

Safe.
Raleigh is known for being more safe than Charlotte. I would have to say that Charlotte is safe too if you stay out of "certain" areas. I would not worry because these "certain" areas are rarely ever seen by a newcomer. You would probably have to go out of your way to see Charlotte's "dirty" unsafe side.

Good Schools/neighborhoods. For when we decide to start our family. Also, my sister's family may be following us with their two preschool aged children.

Raleigh, Greensboro, and Charlotte all have top rated High Schools nationally. Raleigh's system is overall better than the other two. This is what I've heard and read. I am not a personal witness to any of this.

I attended private school in Charlotte K-8 then went to a public high school. I am only 28 so this was not that long ago. From my own experience, going to school in Charlotte was quite pleasant and safe. The atletics in some of Charlotte's schools are awesome too!!!

As for neighborhoods, Raleigh and Charlotte have great neighborhoods. I am not sure what you are looking for (city or suburbs). In either case, Raleigh and Charlotte offer both. Here is a suburban example in Fort Mill SC. This is a suburb 15 minutes south of Charlotte's uptown. You can escape NC's higher property taxes in metro Charlotte!!! There is also an amusement park in Fort Mill as well!!!

Baxter Village (safe neighborhood)
Carowinds | North and South Carolina's Themed Amusement Park (amusement park less than five minutes away)

Friendly.

Everywhere in NC is friendly!!! This is the south LOL!!! Good luck on your search and definately find a job first before moving. This is a must no matter where you move!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 PM

9,728 posts, read 28,498,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Both Charlotte and the Triangle region offer what you're looking for. My advice, especially given the tough economy right now, is to keep yourselves open to both areas, apply for jobs, and see where you might land. I'd strongly advise against moving to either area hoping to find a job after arriving.
^^ That's good advice IMO. Both places are great. If it were me, I would check out bout places and go where the best job offer comes from. Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 PM

Thumbs up Where to rent?

Thank you all so much for your responses! It will definitely help in our deciding process. That was great information.

The "Job Opportunities" I had listed under what we're looking for was more on my behalf. My husband has had offers in both cities, and we are pursuing both at this time. We would DEFINITELY not move until he has a job in one of the cities. I, however, most likely will not have a job upon our arrival, so I'd be the one hitting the pavement.

Right now we are looking to rent instead of own. Our rent budget is $1,000-$1,200. The only area we are really familiar with is south Charlotte (Ballantyne/South Park). We've only just started looking at Raleigh, and if my husband does get that position it would be in Apex. Any suggestions on some good communities around these areas?

Thanks again for the info.!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:38 PM

6,601 posts, read 10,960,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready to Relocate! View Post
Thank you all so much for your responses! It will definitely help in our deciding process. That was great information.

The "Job Opportunities" I had listed under what we're looking for was more on my behalf. My husband has had offers in both cities, and we are pursuing both at this time. We would DEFINITELY not move until he has a job in one of the cities. I, however, most likely will not have a job upon our arrival, so I'd be the one hitting the pavement.

Right now we are looking to rent instead of own. Our rent budget is $1,000-$1,200. The only area we are really familiar with is south Charlotte (Ballantyne/South Park). We've only just started looking at Raleigh, and if my husband does get that position it would be in Apex. Any suggestions on some good communities around these areas?

Thanks again for the info.!
Here is a link to rentals in South Charlotte
South Charlotte*North Carolina Apartments for Rent | Search Charlotte & Vicinity, NC Apartment Rental (http://www.apartments.com/NorthCarolina/Charlotte&Vicinity/SouthCharlotte - broken link)

If you are interested in other areas of town, the University and South End/Uptown areas are nice. I will admit that the closer you are to Uptown, South Park, and Ballantyne, the higher the rent. You can avoid going over your budget in such "high end" areas by simply keeping your rental at two bedrooms tops. Three or more bedrooms can run well over $2,000 per month near Uptown and South Park. Ballantyne can run that high too. I would highly suggest areas like Pineville or Fort Mill SC if you want large real estate for $1,200 or less in South Charlotte.

Here is another good link to rentals in Charlotte
Rent.com: Search Results

Old 11-20-2008, 09:04 AM

Good information and great links! Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina