Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,281 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving myself and my fiancé don't to NC in February. I am RUNNING from NJ. While I love it here and have a strong connection, I do not want to raise a family here. As horrible and Ghetto as this sounds, my fiancé is getting out of jail in Feb, and he is a recovering addict. I want to live somewhere very safe, not ghetto, and where drugs are not prevalent (I know I cant avoid them totally). I just want a safe place where we can thrive, but where job opportunities are plentiful. I am working on my BA in sociology and will be done in a few months, my fiancé needs his G.E.D. So I need a place that will be able to give these things. We are both very religious and are Christians, so Church is important. I just want a safe place to start a family, and one where we can find jobs and affordable housing. I will be renting for the first few months and am also looking for a month to month rental, or a short term lease rental, preferably a house. I am taking all suggestions, so please help.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 11:24 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,392 times
It is wonderful that you want a new and safe life and that you have chosen N.C. However, it would be in your best interest to get your degree first and find a job before you move. Read different posts in all the areas and you will find out that things are difficult everywhere, even in N.C. The advice that you will constantly read over and over again, is have a job before you move to any new city or town. Read about the different areas so there are no big surprises or disappointments. Best of luck.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Welcome and thanks for choosing NC!!! I must say that you are one of the most "real" individuals I've ever seen post on city data and I admire that. The fact that your man is in jail is not ghetto at all to me. Things happen and that is just life. I will also say that I admire the fact that you are sticking by him through this trying time. My thoughts and prayers goes out to you and your man throughout this holiday season and difficult time. I lost my mother to a lung disease a couple of days before x-mas just last year. Prayer is about the only thing that got me through that experience.

As far as moving is concerned, I would try to secure employment before making the move. This is just not a good time to be moving anywhere without a job first.

Safe place
North Carolina as a whole is a very safe place. You can't go wrong there in any part of this state.

Where we can thrive
You can thrive anywhere in NC, but it is what you make of it.

Where job opportunities are plentiful
Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham are your best options here.

My fiancé needs his G.E.D.
Community colleges are quite vast in NC. Just about every county has one.

Church
NC is in the "Bible Belt". You will find an active Church life all over this state.

Safe place to start a family
That can be done anywhere in NC

Affordable housing
This can be found anywhere in NC

Short term lease rental, preferably a house
Ah yes!!! The ole flexible lease with possible option to buy. This can be found in the local paper of most areas of the state. The thing to look for in a flexible land lord is "lease option" or "owner financing available". These are your flexible loose contract land lords.

I am not sure on what you specifically are looking for, but from what you have told me so far, I feel the need to fill you in on somethings you should know.

NJs standard of "ghettos" makes NC's "ghettos" look quite clean and nice. What I don't (and need) to know is your idea of affodable. Coming from NJ, you might have a higher number in mind when you say "affordable" than required for "affordable" in NC. In some parts of NJ, under $1,200 a month is considered very affordable. In NC, affordable can mean $500 to $700 per month. Your definition of affordable is needed to help us help you.

At the moment, I think Durham and Charlotte would be your best options, but I need more info. Specifics like large town or small town would be a big help. In Charlotte, mass transit is pretty darn good. I am thinking this might be a plus for you, but I am not sure. At any rate, here are some videos of Charlotte's transit system to give you and idea of how the system looks and operates. The first video is taken less than a mile away from Central Peidmont Community College. This school has an excellent G.E.D. program.

(click the "high quality" blue icon on the bottom right corner of these videos for a clearer picture)

YouTube - Urban Charlotte

YouTube - Urban Charlotte

Here is a link to CPCC (G.E.D.)
GED General Educational Development — Central Piedmont Community College (http://www.cpcc.edu/community_development/programs/ged?searchterm=ged - broken link)

I hope this info helps. Good luck!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 PM

Default Thank you Urban

Well, I am looking to spend about 650 a month on rent that will easily hold us over for a few months (about 6) if it is hard to find work, and Yes Ghetto is a lot different here I think. My best friend and I were on the way to her house and all of a sudden cops from every direction. Where they going, the HIGH SCHOOL. Trenton high is so terrible, the whole police force had to be called out (30 cars) it was so bad even the under covers where out there because the kids wanna be in gangs and fight and the little 15 year old girls are too fast. This why I want to move out of this hell hole. My main thing is the drugs. I want to avoid them at all costs. Its hard to know if the drug problem is bad unless you are looking for it. As far as I am concerned Trenton's drug problem on the surface, if you are not an addict is just bad. If you are an addict everyone you know is a dealer. They are like roaches, the dealers just wont die no matter how much you spray them. I would say that I understand that I should not go anywhere without a job, but this is one of those times where that logic has to go out the window and I just have to trust in God. I am afraid if he is here he will get into those old habits, at least if we go down there it will be a new experience, and I am not scared of being down there alone for a while if it doesn't work out. I want to live there either way. I have such fond memories as a child of going to my cousins house for summer vacations outside of Fayetteville. It was such a shock to see people just being still. Up here we are on tight schedules and no one cares about anything or anyone but themselves, I want to live in a community where everyone cares about each other. Ahhh maybe we should just join a cult that would make life easy, We just gotta stay away from the cool aid.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:39 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
i'm sorry to tell you this, but if your fiance' is an addict, he will find the drugs anywhere he goes. it wont matter that he is in a new place, he will quickly figure out where to get them.
i think he needs to go into a program before doing anything else.
there are planty of places in NJ to move to where life is not like in trenton.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks findinghope, but i already know he will find them everywhere, the point is I dont want them selling drugs in front of my house.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:14 PM

51 posts, read 91,521 times
I applaud you for wanting to better your life and I am very pleased to hear you are a christian wanting to live here. Best of luck and God bless NC IS THE BEST!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina