U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:17 PM
TLA TLA started this thread

9 posts, read 63,241 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family is moving to NC from PA and are interested in the Salisbury area, to be more specific, the towns of Granite Quarry, Rockwell and China Grove. Can anyone provide information or advice for us on these areas? We are looking for a nice quiet area with low crime, and friendly neighbors. We also need some advice on where my husband can find work, what are some major companies or business' in the area that are good to work for or hire often? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2006, 12:59 PM

27 posts, read 134,372 times
Here are some threads on Salisbury:

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...salisbury.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ight=salisbury

You might want to PM Jasonkruk or Silverwing with questions. Silverwing works in Salisbury and Jasonkruk moved there from NY. I have to say, DH and I considered moving to Salisbury. Our visit went great and it is a beautiful town, but we wound up not buying a house there because it would be too far a commute from our work possibilities. Keep in mind, commuting towards Charlotte is getting more congested by the day. And if you work on the Triad area, it's going to be approximately an hr. commute each way. Food Lion headquarters are located on Salisbury. You might want to check there for openings.

You can search for employments around the area (to have an idea) on :

http://www.ncesc.com/

Hope that helps!

Old 06-11-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Thanks for the info

You're information did help, thank you. We fell in love with the area while traveling from Kernersville, where we were going to move, to Mooresville to visit a race shop. We considered him working in Charlotte but like you said, knew the commute would be killer. We are hoping to get work in Salisbury or Mooresville. I will check out the links you mentioned, thanks again! One thing, I am new to the whole forum thing, how do I PM the 2 you mentioned?
Thanks again!

Old 06-11-2006, 06:30 PM

27 posts, read 134,372 times
Default Sending a PM

To send a PM, click on "quick links" at the top right of this forum. Click on "private messages", then click on "send new message" on the left and you can enter the persons name on the recipient username field. You can enter both names and send one PM if you wish.

Good luck on your search!

Old 06-11-2006, 07:19 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,676,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLA

You're information did help, thank you.
Hey TLA, caught your post.

jardeny is right. I work in Salisbury, have for over 10 years.

Food Lion has their corporate hq here. They have an office with the usual corporate/IT job structure and also a large warehouse configuration. If you/SO have skills that might fit these venues, check http://foodlion.com/Employment/ It's located off Jake Alexander. I don't know if you recall the area from your visit, but it's not that far from the mall. In other areas, Salisbury is growing commercially with restaurants and retail expansion. I think there is the anticipation that the city will grow as more Charlotte workers look for a less hectic place to live, plus the anticipation of the biotechnology research park that is being located to the south, in Kannapolis.

At this point, we like the town. It has retained a lot of the southern/small town/Main Street America feel that you don't get living in the larger metro areas. And town planners, I believe, are trying to get a grip and formulate growth plans so that the town will retain those qualities as it grows. One sign that there is increased interest in the area is that a Charlotte tv station has reopened their facilities downtown. There are a couple of colleges: Catawba and Livingstone, the VA medical center is here, plus Rowan medical center (though I think people prefer to go to Concord or over to Winston-Salem to have health issues treated).

To the north are the Spencer Shops, a restored train hub that is really neat. Spencer itself, while trying to clean up its act, is sort of a run down town. Lazy 5 Exotic Animal Ranch is close to Salisbury. To the north is Lexington where one of the NASCAR fellows is opening a winery/restaurant/retail complex. Bob Timberlake has a showroom in that area and the town has a big BBQ festival each year. For a bit of infamous history, google Sheriff Hege

Shopping-wise .... ehhh A small mall, the usual big Walmart, several Food Lion stores, a Big Box electronics store. The downtown area is not the dead zone that usually befalls towns, though you'll find mostly small restaurants and specialty stores.

The previous poster is correct about the commute to Charlotte - it is getting worse, though there are people who work there and commute to this area or vice versa. The town is located right off I-85 (exit 74/75 and 76). You can also take (mostly) 4 lane 29 down to Charlotte, though at one point you will be traveling thru Concord, where it is very congested around the mall/hospital area.

If you find work in Mooresville, there is access to Salisbury via 150 (almost all winding 2 lane). Mapquest gives a route distance of ~22 miles. Access to travel is found via nearby I-85, while Hwy 70 (currently being widened and quite a mess ) will take you north where you can hookup with I-40.

If you prefer living in a town that has a slower pace, then Salisbury will be a good fit. Homes range from moderate (low 100s) to more expensive (a frou-frou golf development just outside town). There is land available in outlying areas if you don't want to be stuck in a subdivision. It's a town where you'll have to travel out to enjoy the big shopping areas/entertainment venues, but be able to enjoy a quieter home life.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:20 AM

Silverwing,

Thank you so much for all of your information. Salisbury sounds like a great place for our family to live. We live in a VERY small town right now and want to have the best of both worlds, sounds like we can there. We like the feel of a small town but like the fact their is a Wal-Mart, Food Lion and other such stores close. Right now we are traveling about 20 miles to shop so that will be a nice change. We live in "the country" right now and would like to still have some of that so we would pick the outskirts of town instead of a sub-division. Do you know anything about the towns I listed before, Granite Quarry, Rockwell and China Grove?

We have been trying to move for a while now and are really having trouble with the job situation. We put resumes in online and hear nothing, we are assuming the reason is because we don't yet have an address in NC. We are putting our house up for sale this week and hope to be down soon, hopefully living there, we can find something.

My parents are also moving and we were pleased to see the VA medical center is located in Salisbury as my dad is a Vet with medical issues.

Thank you so much for all of your help, hopefully soon I can say I am a citizen of Salisbury!

TLA

Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 AM

787 posts, read 3,465,938 times
I wish we could get a Walmart. The closest one to us is in Kinston, some 15 miles away.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
I wish we could get a Walmart. The closest one to us is in Kinston, some 15 miles away.
Our local walmart is also about 15 miles away. know where you are coming from!

Old 06-14-2006, 05:03 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,676,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLA
Silverwing,

Do you know anything about the towns I listed before, Granite Quarry, Rockwell and China Grove?
Thank you so much for all of your help, hopefully soon I can say I am a citizen of Salisbury!

TLA
What I mostly know is from passing through and knowing people who live there.

Miker2069 gave me the inspiration to get my digital camera out, take some pictures of my area, Salisbury, and the towns near to that (I ain't going to Charlotte. that place gives me the heebie jeebies ) and dump them in my Yahoo bucket. I plan to take my motorcycle out soon**; any reason for a ride is good enough ; and get some snaps. I'll post when I get the pictures.

[**as soon as it gets out of the shop. my plans for the end of this week were shot when - I think - my drive belt cacked as I was headed down Jake Alexander in Salisbury. nothing like hearing a *SNAP*, a loud, emphatic "reeen" and smoke pouring out around your feet, to scare the crap out of you ]

Old 06-15-2006, 12:09 PM

Default Photos would be great

We took some pictures when we were in Salisbury but I would love to see some of the other towns I mentioned.

So, what do you know from passing through (towns listed) and from people you know who live there. You never said.

Hope you get your bike fixed soon. It isn't very often we get good enough weather here to ride, so people here take full advantage when they can!

Thanks so much for everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>