Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:33 AM

34 posts, read 97,877 times

Advertisements

Great so when I drive the 800+ miles to go visit my family in CANADA, the state of NC is going to tax me on that? Niiiiiiiiiiice. <insert sarcasm here>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:40 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Ah but there is one "UNTOUCHABLE" in NC, and though it costs taxpayers millions and millions every year, it shall not be taxed as it is sacred beyond reason in NC.

Tobacco states weigh higher taxes, but not NC | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Quote:
But in North Carolina, the nation's leading tobacco producer, Gov. Mike Easley's plan earlier this year to boost teacher salaries never took off because it required raising the tax another 20 cents. The tax was just 5 cents until 2005, when lawmakers agreed to a 30-cent increase.
Guess it is clear where state leaders have their alliances, and it clearly isn't with our children or their future.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ah but there is one "UNTOUCHABLE" in NC, and though it costs taxpayers millions and millions every year, it shall not be taxed as it is sacred beyond reason in NC.

Tobacco states weigh higher taxes, but not NC | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Guess it is clear where state leaders have their alliances, and it clearly isn't with our children or their future.
Why do you feel it's OK to increase the tax on cigarettes?

Old 12-21-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Why do you feel it's OK to increase the tax on cigarettes?
It is an optional purchase, i.e. luxury goods kinda thing.

It might cause a certain percentage of people to give up the habit, drastically improving their life, improve their health, improve their job performance, reduce the number of sick days they take every year, save them lots of money.

And for those that don't quit, it increased tax revenue will help offset the billions spent caring for the health related issues that are a direct cause of tobacco use.

OBTW, I am a former smoker, quit 22 years ago, it just takes will power, and the results (personal experience, not theory here ) are great.

Oh and finally: Tax revenues are down, and the state needs to look at revenues from non-essential spending, or just put the full load of tax back on something like food, and punish everyone equally, but the poor more so than anyone else.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It is an optional purchase, i.e. luxury goods kinda thing.

It might cause a certain percentage of people to give up the habit, drastically improving their life, improve their health, improve their job performance, reduce the number of sick days they take every year, save them lots of money.

And for those that don't quit, it increased tax revenue will help offset the billions spent caring for the health related issues that are a direct cause of tobacco use.

OBTW, I am a former smoker, quit 22 years ago, it just takes will power, and the results (personal experience, not theory here ) are great.

Oh and finally: Tax revenues are down, and the state needs to look at revenues from non-essential spending, or just put the full load of tax back on something like food, and punish everyone equally, but the poor more so than anyone else.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I don't smoke.

However I think singling out a particular group of people to pay higher taxes that go towards things that don't benefit those people is unfair as well. If taxes are raised on registration fees that money (theoretically) goes toward expanding the road system. Property tax goes toward funding police and fire fighters. Etc. I know in practice the money is all thrown into the general pot and each service has it's budget but that's the idea anyway.

If you raise taxes on people smoking the extra revenue should go to something related, health care facilities, etc. That's my thought on the subject at least.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 AM

549 posts, read 1,741,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Congratulations NC. It looks like you're starting to get more like us in NJ.

They LOVE taxes here.
True. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. You people moved South to "escape" the problems that you faced up north (traffic, crime, taxes, rudeness, high cost of living, etc) but you brought those problems with you. It serves you right but I feel sorry that my fellow native North Carolinians have to suffer too. Such is life.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If you raise taxes on people smoking the extra revenue should go to something related, health care facilities, etc. That's my thought on the subject at least.
We are paying for the results of smokers health problems out of the general fund for a long time, time to replenish the general fund.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drool-Collector View Post
Great so when I drive the 800+ miles to go visit my family in CANADA, the state of NC is going to tax me on that? Niiiiiiiiiiice. <insert sarcasm here>
Yes, even in Canada, you can't escape the pickpockets of the NC Department of Revenue

Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 PM

Mileage tax seems to be a non-starter | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Maybe this one is headed to the really bad idea file, the trash can.

And in all the back and forth I have seen about this idea, no one has answered the legality of NC charging for mileage driven in other states or even other countries. But that would require those in Raleigh to think beyond the tip of their nose, so I wasn't holding my breath either.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:10 AM

13 posts, read 31,215 times
I have e-mailed my NC Senator and NC House member and voiced my opposition. I suggest everyone here should do the same. Maybe they need to plant less trees and shrubs along our roadways in order to save money rather than to raise taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina