Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:51 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Advertisements

Congressional Quarterly Press has released their annual ranking of city crime across the U.S. New Orleans was ranked the most dangerous city in America this time.

NC Cities in the top 100:

Greensboro - 57
Charlotte - 62
Wilmington - 80
High Point - 93
Fayetteville - 94

Winston-Salem and Durham were not ranked this year due to incomplete data.

The crime rate rankings of the cities and metropolitan areas are calculated using six crime categories: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft.

CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2008

Last edited by mm34b; 11-25-2008 at 04:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 41,574 times
That's scary

Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcarolina93 View Post
That's scary
There just stats? Almost no one on this board fits into the demographic of being a victim of violent crime. It's funny hearing someone talking about being scared of an entire city, when they're more than likely moving into an upper class neighborhood, with almost zero crime.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:45 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
There just stats? Almost no one on this board fits into the demographic of being a victim of violent crime. It's funny hearing someone talking about being scared of an entire city, when they're more than likely moving into an upper class neighborhood, with almost zero crime.
You are so right!!! Crime is localized in most cases. I have lived in Greensboro (college) and I currently live in Charlotte. Neither of these cities strike me as being remotely unsafe. Here in Charlotte, I have left my garage door open a few times and my neighbors would shut it for me without stealing anything. Then again, there are areas of town where a drive-by might occur in broad day light. The truth is that those people involved in the drive-by knew each other and probably had a drug related dispute. So if you are a dope dealer or buyer in Charlotte, you are likely to get "sprayed" like a roach. If you are not, you will most likely be fine. This is the real story behind the numbers.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Yes, why don't you tell that to the person who was driving to work and stopped at a traffic light and had a person with a gun steal their car. Surely no one would steal a car from someone they do not know.

Add to that the people who come home from work and find someone emptied their home and they no longer know where their furniture is.

And how about those who have their doors knocked down while they are hiding in the closet and trying to dial 911 with the cell phone and the call won't go through.

Crime in NC is out of control and needs some special attention. I used to feel safe. I don't any more. Localized? That's a joke!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Yes, why don't you tell that to the person who was driving to work and stopped at a traffic light and had a person with a gun steal their car. Surely no one would steal a car from someone they do not know.

Add to that the people who come home from work and find someone emptied their home and they no longer know where their furniture is.

And how about those who have their doors knocked down while they are hiding in the closet and trying to dial 911 with the cell phone and the call won't go through.

Crime in NC is out of control and needs some special attention. I used to feel safe. I don't any more. Localized? That's a joke!
It is also based on a person's background. You call yourself "country girl" yet your location is "Metrolina" ROTFLMAO!!! All jokes aside, you will probably NEVER see Charlotte metro as being a safe place. Most people that hail from the "country" thinks metro Charlotte is a "cesspool of crime and corruption". I have traveled the entire country. Trust me, NC as a whole (including Charlotte) is quite safe. I won't name all of the progressive and growing areas of this country that are unsafe. I will say that NC is not even in the top 15 when it comes to crime. Keep in mind that NC is the 10th largest state by population. Here is a link to the 15 most unsafe states. NC (tenth largest state by population) is not on this list. SC is however. Imagine that!!! SC is also more rural or "country" than NC too.
Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance

Here are the 15 safest states. NC is not on this list either.
Safest States to Live In - AOL Money & Finance

Now ask yourself. Are these 15 "safe" states places you wish to live?

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-25-2008 at 07:49 AM..

Old 11-25-2008, 11:21 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It is also based on a person's background. You call yourself "country girl" yet your location is "Metrolina" ROTFLMAO!!! All jokes aside, you will probably NEVER see Charlotte metro as being a safe place. Most people that hail from the "country" thinks metro Charlotte is a "cesspool of crime and corruption". I have traveled the entire country. Trust me, NC as a whole (including Charlotte) is quite safe. I won't name all of the progressive and growing areas of this country that are unsafe. I will say that NC is not even in the top 15 when it comes to crime. Keep in mind that NC is the 10th largest state by population. Here is a link to the 15 most unsafe states. NC (tenth largest state by population) is not on this list. SC is however. Imagine that!!! SC is also more rural or "country" than NC too.
Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance

Here are the 15 safest states. NC is not on this list either.
Safest States to Live In - AOL Money & Finance

Now ask yourself. Are these 15 "safe" states places you wish to live?

That's one thing I can agree with you on. These people who run around and scream NC is unsafe, need to see other cities of similar size. They'll be crying to come back to NC.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,590 times
Default Interesting Crime Report.....

The latest National Crime Rankings. CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2008 Kind of interesting...Charlotte ranks #62....New Orleans #1

#62...not great but, not as bad as people make it out to be. I think Charlotte is on the right path.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I wish we weren't in the top 100, but it could be worse. Look at ATL. Dern.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:52 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
Default Metro numbers...

The Metro numbers are much worse. The Charlotte metro area is #27, worse than NY, LA, St. Louis, Houston and hundreds of others.

How can this be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina