Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:42 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisekat
We have used every possible item and treatment we could find...all with the same results. A few days they are gone, at best, then new mounds pop up all over again, just in new spots. Our patio is crawling with them, we spray it and it keeps them away until it rains, then they're all back again once the pesticide gets washed away. It gets very expensive! And because it never gets too cold, they are a problem all year long.
I know when we had just regular red ant hills in our front yard I read a helpful hint book my mom had laying around the house and it said to poor boiling water down the ant hill. So, that's exactly what I did, do it a few times and be very careful not to burn yourself. It will temporarely kill the grass but I'll tell ya, it worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2006, 08:29 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
One thing on the pouring gasoline on the ant mounds.
In searching for that perfect house I have found many have, wells and septic systems. I would be careful if you have a well for your water that you don’t contaminate your water with gasoline. Just an FYI.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:48 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
here's something I found on Hydramethylnon (Amdro).

"Hydramethylnon controls target insects with a single feeding. It is effective in the control of roaches and ants because both insects serve as carriers of the active ingredient to harborages and colonies.
Ants carry hydramethylnon bait back to the colony where the larvae digest the solid bait and regurgitate it as a liquid to feed the queen(s) and the rest of the colony.
The delayed-action of hydramethylnon works well with this behavior because it allows foraging workers to return to the colony with the bait before they are killed."

It had a nice little segment in the middle about how roaches eat their own excrement and carcasses, and how one infected roach could kill 50 other roaches. But I thought I'd spare y'all the nitty gritty details of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina