Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Isn't this the NC board? Are you refering to what you have written here?
Yes, I meant to write, I have written ... here on the NC board..."
but as you may have noticed from the typos, I was just dashing it off before getting back to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 04:37 PM

219 posts, read 853,011 times
We are moving from NJ to NC SHORTLY.
I am finally retiring and we cannot afford to live in NJ on my retirement income. The taxes are insane.
And finally, the decision was made when our little town (next to Camden NJ) has now change dramatically. We either move or become prisoners in our own home.
Here we come NC. It helps that my brother and three friends have moved there in the last four years. The will be close..........but not that close.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:43 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,007,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Yes, I meant to write, I have written ... here on the NC board..."
but as you may have noticed from the typos, I was just dashing it off before getting back to work!
Well you made me wondering if I was missing out on another board I couldn't bare to think I had missed something!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton View Post
I’ve been reading this newsgroup for awhile, and I see many people trying to talk themselves into whether or not they want to move. I’ve moved to many states, and I’ve also felt that desire to give yourself pep talks about how your new home will be a utopia. I hope you don’t mind, but I would like to tell you some of the things I’ve learned (sometimes the hard way).
First the good news: For the most part, I’ve enjoyed each state I’ve lived in. Moving has mostly been a positive experience. I also think NC is a good choice for many people.

But… NC is not utopia, it is not paradise, it is not heaven. It’s a very nice place with some good things and some bad things, and you're going to find a lot of the same problems you left behind (because they exist everywhere).

If you are moving here to escape something, you need to know that making a geographic change is not enough. You will find the same problems in your new home unless you also make changes in yourself. Changing schools will not keep your child from encountering drugs. Moving to NC will not help you escape crazy drivers, or aggressive coworkers, or sleazy guys in nightclubs. Every city has problems, including homeless people, crime, and gangs… some places have more of these problems than others, but ask yourself if there is something you are doing that makes you a magnet for the problem you are running away from.

Sometimes people move to make a fresh start. I’ve done that—it was great, but be aware that moving will not bring back your lost youth, help you find a girlfriend, help you exercise/pray/study more, or make you appear more successful/sophisticated. I repeat: moving will not bring about these types of changes, and… you don’t need to move to make these changes.

In my case, I told myself that I wanted to come home to my family. I thought moving back home would repair a dysfunctional family situation. We always blamed it on the fact that I had moved away… until I moved back. The family is still just as dysfunctional, we just found a new thing to blame it on.

Good reasons to move: The cost of real estate. Higher salaries. Company transfer or other job opportunity. You’ve visited your new home and feel happy there. Major life change such as divorce, retirement changes your needs. Health care facilities. Weather (although every place has weather problems of one sort or another).

Bad reasons to move: Cost of living (other than housing, it’s just about the same no matter where you live). Boredom. You’re sick of traffic (traffic is bad just about everywhere, for a variety of reasons). To impress other people.
Right on! Love it!!!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 AM

27 posts, read 81,074 times
I may be the only one with this reason for moving--my whole family got Lyme disease in CT, and we never saw a tick, or bulls eye. We sprayed, did tick checks, etc. The recovery has been difficult and there's a good chance of reinfection. Ct is beautiful, but the price is too high.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:53 AM

425 posts, read 1,257,170 times
My husband and I have moved from AZ to TX and now to NC. Each move has been challenging, although I have to say this last one to NC has been the hardest since we left out two children, 21 and 22 years old, behind in Austin. We moved because my husband is a Hardware Test Engineer and the companies he has worked for, for the most part, have chosen to outsource his expertise to other countries. Since he brings home the main income, it has always been important that he stay on top of his career choice. Making the decision to move before he doesn’t have a job has proven to be in our best interest. I gave up a great job in TX, but I will find another one here. Looking forward to this new adventure, but I do miss our kids. Attitude and realistic expectations I think will help most folks have a successful and happy move.

It seems the day of living in the same area forever isn’t practical for everyone these days. My older siblings, (all in their 60’s) won’t ever consider moving from the state where we were born and raised. They just don’t like change. I’m the odd duck of the family and really wouldn’t have it any other way. Good luck to everyone who has the courage to move and start another chapter in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina