Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 04:28 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
My husband and I lived in La Grange 10 years ago.Greenville's nicer. Though I think the Piedmont area of NC is much more attractive and has a lot more to offer.
If it's been 10 years since you've been to Greenville then a visit today would be quite a suprise. It's changed a lot since then. Lot's of new housing and shopping to satisfy anyone. The west and south of Greenville is where they've been concentrating the development and now they're moving over to the east by Simpson and Bells Fork.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 06:48 PM

45 posts, read 218,547 times
Default kinston

Hi! I did some student teaching in and around Kinston (almost 10 years ago) and it was something I would not want to do again. The students (and some teachers) had so much anger and a lot of the children came from very difficult home situations. It was like a missions field for me ... very difficult emotionally. Not a place I would want to raise a family. I'm sure not all of the schools are like the ones I was teaching but I do agree with another poster who said the area is depressing.

We drove through Kinston 2 weeks ago when we drove from Wilmington (great place) to Greenville (nice) and it seemed exactly as I remembered it. A building that was crumbling then is still that way today. There may be some nice parts of Kinston ... so definitely check it out for yourself. When you do, head up the road a bit and check out the area surrounding Greenville.
Good luck!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 10,582 times
Post a little info on kinston nc

If you make it to Kinston would you like to step back in time a little? If so try going to the Model Art Barber shop in the kinston plaza, up in the breezeway, the red double doors. Go in on say, a sat. morning when every one is sure to be there. You will have great service and a great haircut! The shop has been there around 50 years and the owner is still working with three other stylist that can do just about anything with hair. It is different in a good way. There are some very good restaurants to choose from. Snow Hill is a very nice area to live. New Bern would my #1 pick!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 15,622 times
Default Whats so bad about Kinston NC?

Hi,

I live in Kinston, NC. It isn't so bad at all. It is a small town. We do like to live quietly. We thank the Lord for our food, family, friend and yes our town. When you get to Kinston check out TACC9 (a local television channel) for what is going on in the area. There is a pool close to where I live called West Water Park. It is on Hwy 58 just down the road (not further than a few miles is what we call "just down the road") from Lenoir CC. If you daughter likes to swim, she may be able to meet a few friends there. If you would like to attend church, Southwood Memorial Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) is two doors down from the water park. We would love to have you.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:41 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
I like Kinston ok, worked there right down on East Vernon Ave for a couple of years. I will say Kinston has a straight up THUG problem. Alot of people seem to concentrate on trying to aquire what other people have worked for. I had the trim pieces stolen off my truck at the mall (!???!).
I have two very nice friends (incidentally a mixed race couple in their 50's...very rare for East NC) who live on N. Queen in a very nice older brick home. I asked the husband had he ever heard gunshots (we were discussing the thug problem), and he said yes quite frequently. He also said he wished I would buy the house next door but that he couldn't recommend raising young children in his neighborhood. That being said there are some very nice well built large houses for sale at rock bottom prices.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:00 AM

144 posts, read 419,440 times
Hoops,

Have you visited Kinston this summer yet?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 AM

6 posts, read 58,624 times
In Kinston you have to be able to except life as it is! There are great parts of it but the people are too into themselves to stand up at town meatings and help clean it up!!90% of the good people do not work there, they live there! It has come to me that the saying " You can't fight CITY HALL " is very true. Most of the people in North Caroline can't seem to get it, People all up and down the east coast wants to buy and live there!! The old timers do not care about trippling there money. Well I'm from the north, 25 years ago I bought a house for 20k and I just sold it for 450k. What a profit!!! Kinston can be that but people there can not see the concept of cleaning up the streets and bring good job forming companies there.There is nobody there that can help city hall. City hall has all old time N.C. people in it. They do not like people from the north, south or west. But they sure can try to sell something that is worth 100 dollars and get 1000!!! But they really dont understand the new commers would pay 5000 or more in there other states!

Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 58,624 times
Default THUG problems???

The problem is THUGS and people that don't care about anything!! They should just bulldoze bad blocks like they do all over the country and put all in jail or ship them out. If you think about it the thugs are there bacause they can afford to!!!Clean up the area and flood them with police and new houses and new people they will leave!!!

Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,814 times
Default Kinston, NC

It's hard to know what to say to people about Kinston. Yes, there is crime, some run-down areas, poverty, etc. I grew up in Dayton, Ohio & things are much sunnier/safer here in Kinston! I guess it depends on what you're used to or what you expect. I have only lived in Kinston for over a year, but I love it. The schools do have a lot to be desired, but there are ones in the area that are good. You have to work with what you got. We found a great home in the county with lots of privacy & acreage. It is very quiet & friendly. I have felt nothing but goodwill from everyone I have met here. Anyone & everyone has made me their friend, rather I like it or not. It is a small town & there is not too much to do, but there are larger towns all around. I love it here & am proud to raise my family here! Good luck to those of you!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 17,601 times
Hi family of 4 Moving near BY Kinston or in Kinston, BY windsong Road, never been to NC, we are moving from Maine, job relocation for my husband, what other areas are alright near Kinston or in Kinston, safe and non safe, I have 2 kids 1 will be 14 in july the other 11 in Sept, I know nothing about the area or NC, I do have family in wilmington & Salsbury, however We dont want to travel too far for my husbands new job. if possiable.
we are seeking 3-4 bedrooms, which will except 2 cats & 1 dog, the dog is my parents dog and my parents will be staying with us alittle while till they find a place, we plan to be in kinston Area may11th-12th. There dog is mixed but mostly golden lab.. she is 10..
Please help, Email me at Lynnrose2@yahoo.com
thanks
also My son is speical needs, and want to know about good schools and bad ect,
I am also on disabilty, where would we go to transfer our disabilty income ?
Also does anyone know if unemployment benefits are transferable when moving? For my husband currently collects unemployment benefits,
thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina