Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:40 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjjxcg View Post
Well for one you're wrong on one account: Kinston is like less than 15 minutes from Seymour Johnson Air Force Base. It's actually closer to the military than most of NC's largest cities. Oops.
Kinston is 30 miles from Goldsboro... Maybe it's 15 minutes in an F-15 (including landing approach of course)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,782 times
Smile Kinston NC

Kinston is an historical little town with a ruch history. Its quiet now but once upon a time it was a jumping soul music kind of town. In fact, New Orleans might not have become big Jazz town, it might have been Kinston instead. In fact, the Godfather of Soul recruited his best musicians to play intricate role in his band years ago. There used to be a,church on every cornet in Kinston. Religion us still very large part of the people's there. You wont see many homeless people sleeping on the street. Kinston feeds everbody. The history there is rich. Once upon a time, a large amount of the BIG Tobacco companies were planted in the area, which was the backbone of the United States! 49 minutes to the beach, and few minutes to best barbecue in U.S.A, Pete Jones Barbecue, an affiliate of the Cong. Walter Jones. If u r fortunate to have a yard, u can have your own pet goats, peacock birds, pretty roosters and beautiful Hydrangea bushes. People flock there just for a peace of mind & spirit, despite the mean, ignorant and or prejudice folk because that's everywhere. Excuse my typos, but I will not b proofing this post. God bless u.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:09 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Eastern NC/Coastal Plain is like the Mississippi Delta of North Carolina. Economically depressed, crime, poverty, etc. This region has seen better days, for sure. Kinston has horrible crime, for one. It's like other towns in Eastern NC like Lumberton and Rocky Mount. Trust me, look away from these areas of NC.
Mississippi resident here. Eastern NC and the Coastal Plain are not as bad the Delta.

At least those parts of NC have things going for them in parts of them. the Delta, however, has nothing going for it. it is still shrinking, year after year, and no one wants to go there.

And Kinston is in a part of NC so that where, depending on what happens, it could possibly make a comeback. It has a big gang and crime problem, yes, but it is still possible that it could come back.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:30 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,524,628 times
Kinston has the Chef & the Farmer Restaurant, made famous by UNC-TV.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,650 times
Yep, been there. A fun experience. That restaurant and another one associated with it have become well known in other parts of the state/nation. We drove there from Raleigh. May other people are doing the same. It remains to be seen whether or not this changes the Kinston Landscape.

I got a kick out of the reference on this thread to Davis as a small town. I didn't know Davis had ascended to small town status!

Old 06-06-2016, 09:31 AM

838 posts, read 1,352,836 times
Older people say that Kinston use to be a nice town up until the 90s. The Hills are throwing a lot of money at the town and opening new restaurants and small bars. I've noticed they are fixing up some of the older houses in the area too. Kinston has some very nice old big houses that have been left to run down. They would be beautiful if people had to money to keep them up.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:39 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,810,396 times
I'm just amazed that Vernon Park Mall is still open. There's hardly anything left there. I always thought VPM would close before Parkwood Mall in Wilson would. How VPM manages to stay open after all this time is beyond me..

Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I'm just amazed that Vernon Park Mall is still open. There's hardly anything left there. I always thought VPM would close before Parkwood Mall in Wilson would. How VPM manages to stay open after all this time is beyond me..
I didn't even realize the mall in Wilson had closed. I too am shocked Vernon Park is still open. They barely even have any stores left in there. If I recall they even lost the JCPenny anchor store.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:55 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,810,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I didn't even realize the mall in Wilson had closed. I too am shocked Vernon Park is still open. They barely even have any stores left in there. If I recall they even lost the JCPenny anchor store.
Yeah, the indoor section of the mall in Wilson closed in January 2013. The indoor tenants were given their notice in November 2012. All that remains there is Roses, K&W Cafeteria and Carmike Theater. I was there last September and the building and parking lot looks like ****. You're right, the JC Penney at Vernon Park Mall is gone. I don't know when they left, though.

Closing of Wilson Mall leaves memories behind :: WRAL.com

Old 01-12-2019, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 959 times
Do not move to Kingston. My best friend moved there a few years ago. There are no jobs and she sees crime happening all around her. It has the worst crime in the state, which has a bad crime rate nationally anyway, and there is very little to do there. It is flat and without culture. People there are 40 years behind the times. NC also is among the worst in health care. It is one of the worst places i have ever visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina