Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 08:30 PM

9 posts, read 74,865 times

Advertisements

I've been reading the posts trashing Kinston with increasing dismay. What is so bad about this town? Mind you, I've never been there but I have a vested interest in it being far better than the posts would lead one to believe since it is very high on my list of places to move to as soon as I can get the heck out of Southern California.

Yes, I am one of those, a native Southern California who has finally reached the saturation point with the traffic, the crowding, the cost of housing, the people who have little concern for anything but what they own, what they used to own or what they plan on owning. Eastern NC seems to be the polar opposite that I am looking for (sorry no mountains for me, nice place to visit would not want to live there).

How did I arrive at Kinston as my choice of places to live in this giant country of ours?? 1) It is not within close proximity to a military base (which is not easy to do in the south). I love our armed forces (used to be one myself) but I have a daughter and I am selfish enough to not want her to fall for some soldier and move away. 2) The curriculum at Lenoir CC seems to fit said daughter's interests. 3) From what I see on the real estate web sites I could actually afford to buy a home (even on retirement income) and it would even have a yard big enough to require a lawn mower. 4) Close to the coast but not on the coast. 5) Even though it appears to want to be a big city when it grows up it is really just a small southern town. And we really want to live in a small southern town.

So, what is so bad about Kinston? Does it have a bad area like most towns or has the entire town gone to seed and they just have really good photo touch-ups for their chamber of commerce, real estate, etc website? What about the people? A few bad eggs but for the most part quite nice people?

We are planning a trip to NC this summer and Kinston is our number one destination. We need to solidify it and make our plans or rule it out and look elsewhere. So tell me please, what is so wrong with this town? And maybe there are some people out there that can tell me what is right about this town?

And one more thing (to those of you out there groaning about yet another Californian moving to your otherwise lovely state): we are very sorry, we know you are sick of us but put yourselves in our shoes . . .
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 07:47 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Well for one you're wrong on one account: Kinston is like less than 15 minutes from Seymour Johnson Air Force Base. It's actually closer to the military than most of NC's largest cities. Oops.

Nothing "bad" about Kinston...it's just there's hardly any major economic engine that's attracting people to it. It's traditionally a blue-collar town that depended on agriculture and manufacturing. And we all know how that type of economy has been doing in the past two decades, right? But other than that, I haven't heard anyone say that it's a "bad" town really. Just a small one without a ton of things to draw newcomers.

What do you plan to do once you get there? Do you have a job lined up? I certainly hope so...cuz I cannot fathom someone moving there then expecting to just find a job later on. You'll be competing with a lot of unemployed locals who would most likely have the "first shot" at any openings.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:53 AM

129 posts, read 754,078 times
Default additional info on Kinston

As a resident of western NC there isn't much I can truly add to this post on Kinston except one little thing. If you happen to be in Kinston stop at Kings Barbecue and have a "pig in a puppy". It's a great eastern style barbecue sandwich that's served in a hushpuppy instead of on a bun. It's to die for. My husband and I go to Beaufort every year and I always have to stop for one on the way down and usually on the way back . So there's a plus for Kinston

Old 03-02-2007, 08:23 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
It really depends on your perception of bad. I live about 14 miles from Kinston and it is all in what you are looking for. The town is there, it serves its citizens with what they need to live but there is not a lot of growth there. Like I said, if you are looking to find a place to really being in the business world, then Kinston is not for you. But if you are looking a place to live and enjoy life, then the place is not all that bad.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:19 PM

Thank you all for your postings. It's a good start . . . I have learned that southern kindness is alive and well in Snow Hill, that I can't get away from the bases and that I can get a wicked good sandwich in Kinston (is it true you don't use red sauce in your barbeque??). I'm not ready to rule out Kinston but I will try to broaden my focus a bit when I'm back there and give some of the surrounding towns a look see as well.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:23 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsShorty23 View Post
Thank you all for your postings. It's a good start . . . I have learned that southern kindness is alive and well in Snow Hill, that I can't get away from the bases and that I can get a wicked good sandwich in Kinston (is it true you don't use red sauce in your barbeque??). I'm not ready to rule out Kinston but I will try to broaden my focus a bit when I'm back there and give some of the surrounding towns a look see as well.
If you will contact me when you get here, I will attempt to help you. As I said I am only about 14 miles from the place and it is a straight shot right down Hwy 58. The worse areas of town are around the King Street Bridge on the eastern part of town. Ironically, that is where the courthouse is as well. They have a respectable mall off Vernon Ave, numerous restaurants and Kinston is close enough to the coast to warrant a day trip to New Bern and points eastward. Goldsboro, that houses Seymour Johnson Airforce Base is less than 20 minutes away as well. I have never eaten barbaque with red sauce on it although I have used it on chicken before. I have lived in the area almost all my life. In fact, I was born in Kinston. The hospital is adequate but we are only a few miles from Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville which is a top of the line facility if you need it. Like I said, if you are looking for a quality of life that means stability and not a rat race, you might actually find Kinston to your liking. Also, you might want to check us out, Greene County. We are situated right in the middle of Pitt, Wilson, Lenoir, and Wayne Counties and a lot of people make these 14-23 mile commutes daily and enjoy the country life we have to offer with affordable housing. You might think I am lying but in 1992 we bought an 8 year old brick ranch house, about 1700 square feet on .9 of an acre of a corner lot for less than $62,000.00
I bet there aren't many places that can say that. Granted the house would sell for in the $90,000.00 range now but that is still a bargain.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Kinston just plain depresses me. As you drive in from the north past the empty Global Transpark Development Zone you go right through the worst part of town. Make a left hand turn and you're in the downtown district. Lot's of empty buildings (a staple for most eastern NC towns) and people hanging out on the corner.

It was never on my list.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:02 PM

How is life in the smaller towns around Kinston such as La Grange and Snow Hill?

Geographically is it pretty easy to make your home in a small town but head for the bigger towns for shopping, etc? On the map it looks like a straight shot of maybe 12 miles but how's the drive?

How receptive are these small towns to outsiders actually moving into town, especially out of state outsiders (but easy going should have been born in a small town to begin with kind of outsider)? Can you ever really become a part of their community or will you always be perceived as an outsider?

What is the availability of houses for rent in the smaller towns? We would be looking to rent a decent size single family home (3 bed 2 bath). Is there availability or are you back to the bigger towns if you want to rent instead of buy?

Thank you all for your continued helpful responses. If the people who post in this forum are any indication of the quality of people in NC then we have definitely made the right choice in wanting to move there!

Last edited by HoopsShorty23; 03-04-2007 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-04-2007, 02:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsShorty23
How is life in the smaller towns around Kinston such as La Grange and Snow Hill?
Generally slow. One of the few issues I've had since I moved here back in May of 2006 was getting someone to do what they say they will. I've seen it in the people and some of the companies I've tried to deal with. I'll talk to someone and set up an appointment to either get work done or whatever and they never show up.

Quote:
Geographically is it pretty easy to make your home in a small town but head for the bigger towns for shopping, etc? On the map it looks like a straight shot of maybe 12 miles but how's the drive?
Usually 12 miles will be about 12 minutes. I moved here from the Washington DC metro area and getting around here is easy. The only place in eastern NC I've run into any real traffic was the bigger towns/cities like Morehead City and Greenville. Note that all of the roads in NC are 55 mph unless they are posted otherwise. Some of what you would call "surface streets" are real narrow and not really suited for a 55 mph speed limit but they are. There are no minor accidents out in the country.

Quote:
How receptive are these small towns to outsiders actually moving into town, especially out of state outsiders (but easy going should have been born in a small town to begin with kind of outsider)? Can you ever really become a part of their community or will you always be perceived as an outsider?
Get ready for a good bit of teasing but when you get down to it the people here are really nice and some will bend over backwards to help you once they get to know you. They do tend to keep to themselves out in the country so it may take a while to meet them.

Quote:
What is the availability of houses for rent in the smaller towns? We would be looking to rent a decent size single family home (3 bed 2 bath). Is there availability or are you back to the bigger towns if you want to rent instead of buy?
You may have some trouble renting a decent house. Most of the homes are owner occupied especially out in the country.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
My husband and I lived in La Grange 10 years ago. It's a nice small town. I liked it alright. We made our way into Kinston on a regular basis. I worked at a store at the "mall" there. Not much to that mall. Some of the stores closed while we were there. Not sure how the mall's doing now.

The thing I didn't like about Kinston was that it just seemed like a blah, going-nowhere kind of town and it wasn't attractive to me. I didn't like Goldsboro any better. Greenville's nicer. Though I think the Piedmont area of NC is much more attractive and has a lot more to offer.

I wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina