Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,006 times

Advertisements

We are currently living on Long Island and are considering moving to NC. We have three young children ( 2 year old twins and a kindergartener). We were looking into the Salisbury or Woodland area but are unsure of where to really move. We like the simple relaxed feel of the south, but do not want by any means to be in the middle of nowhere. Looking to be in a cute quiet neighborhood, with a main street full of shops and restaurant . We are open to suggestions. Also, how hard/easy is it to find a job? My other half is a mechanic and I am a medical assistant, phlebotomist and ECG Tech. So where are the best places to find good paying jobs? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrystalle237 View Post
We are currently living on Long Island and are considering moving to NC. We have three young children ( 2 year old twins and a kindergartener). We were looking into the Salisbury or Woodland area but are unsure of where to really move. We like the simple relaxed feel of the south, but do not want by any means to be in the middle of nowhere. Looking to be in a cute quiet neighborhood, with a main street full of shops and restaurant . We are open to suggestions. Also, how hard/easy is it to find a job? My other half is a mechanic and I am a medical assistant, phlebotomist and ECG Tech. So where are the best places to find good paying jobs? Any help would be appreciated.
You need to do a LOT more research than this--it appears you know nothing about the state nor about the job market in your field?

First, research jobs in your field in cities you're interested in.

Take a VISIT to the area you're thinking of moving to--you might hate it and no further research is necessary.

Nobody can tell you "Where in NC?" is best for you as it is a very diverse state that covers from mountains to coast. You would need a better reason to move than "we heard NC is a good place". You have honed in on Salisbury, so I would recommend a trip there to scout around; it is probably a good "middle ground" of not being a big city nor the middle of nowhere--but check into the job market in your field before thinking of moving.

Are you considering others parts of the US as well?

Old 01-15-2015, 11:58 AM

135 posts, read 162,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrystalle237 View Post
We like the simple relaxed feel of the south, but do not want by any means to be in the middle of nowhere.
When you got that "simple relaxed feel", where were you? Did you feel like you were in the middle of nowhere? If not, I'd suggest looking further into that area for jobs and neighborhoods or asking about areas that would be similar to it. If you got that feel from anything other than a visit, then you should definitely do more research to pick one or more places to visit to see if you get that feeling while there. MANY very nice areas all over the south including NC, but just because I like them doesn't mean you will!

Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 PM

16,760 posts, read 8,228,532 times
In Salisbury mechanic positions open often. There are a couple listed in the Salisbury Post classifieds. One that I remember is for LKQ (I think) a national company (42K/yr) that salvages and resells parts. Salisbury is the county seat with a good hospital and VA center. Check out Faith, Granite Quarry and Rockwell nice areas with easy access to Salisbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina