Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2006, 09:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,091 times

Advertisements

I am in the retail field and live about 45 minutes west of Philadelphia. My wife and I have become discouraged with the cost of living and the work ethic of the area. We have 2 small children (3 and 1) so there future is our number one concern. The company I work for is possibly opening a store in the Pinehurst area. We are trying to gain as much information as we can, because unfortunately a trip there is not an option. I have visited the Raleigh/Chapel Hill areas a couple times and the Outer Banks once, but do not know much about Pinehurst other than golf. We relocated here almost 2 years ago from Columbus, OH. We both loved there and if a promotion wasn't involved, would have been more hesitent to leave. Trying to decide between the two. Any information/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 10:43 PM

138 posts, read 786,921 times
Hello there.

I grew up in C-bus and wish I could move back. I loved it there.

Anyway, the Pinehurst area is a very nice area - especially if you like golf. It is somewhat resort-ish (if that's a word). It is much less populated than the Triangle, Triad, etc.

From what I've seen, cost of housing is somewhat high there by NC standards.

I guess it depends what you like. You've lived near big cities (Philly, C-bus) in the past. Pinehurst definitely is not a big city.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:53 AM

We have also lived in smaller towns. Enjoyed living near bigger cities because of the options and things to do. Columbus was far better than what we have found here (cost, accessibility). The one thing I have read is that in NC everyone is so willing to help you out, it is not that way around here. Most say they want to, but then when the time comes, no action. Columbus was nice and everyone we encountered was willing to do what they can.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:57 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdswines
Hello there.

I grew up in C-bus and wish I could move back. I loved it there.

Anyway, the Pinehurst area is a very nice area - especially if you like golf. It is somewhat resort-ish (if that's a word). It is much less populated than the Triangle, Triad, etc.

From what I've seen, cost of housing is somewhat high there by NC standards.

I guess it depends what you like. You've lived near big cities (Philly, C-bus) in the past. Pinehurst definitely is not a big city.

Good luck with your decision.
I agree with her. And from what I know of the area, it is all about golf. If I were relocating, I think I would want an area that wasn't totally committed to just golf. I would start at Raleigh and span outwards from there and see what popped up in your interests. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:42 AM

64 posts, read 263,786 times
My family and I moved to the Pinehurst area from Upstate NY last summer. I personally don't like the area. It is all about golf and nothing else. There are a lot of retired people, and very wealthy people in the area. I would say real estate is more expensive here than the rest of the area. I would say the biggest drawback is the schools. The elementary and middle schools are average, the high school is overcrowded andgenerally not a good environment for kids. The people in the area don't seem to be all that concerned about it either. If we had a chance to go back north we would probably take it. If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:34 AM

73 posts, read 320,575 times
It all depends on the person. I live just outside of Columbus and I hate the place. I would live almost anywhere in NC as opposed to the Columbus area.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:46 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecotc
It all depends on the person. I live just outside of Columbus and I hate the place. I would live almost anywhere in NC as opposed to the Columbus area.

Well, my advice still holds. I would do some more checking before I resigned myself to another place that someday you might hate as much or more than where you are already. Don't limit your choices until you are totally sure. Think about what you would really like to have and then give us a list. I would be willing to bet someone on this board knows where that place is. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
Southern Pines, Whispering Pines, Carthage, Sanford.........there are other towns in Moore County NC besides Pinehurst which is probably one of the most affluent areas in the country.
It is hot and humid in the summer. Nice in the winter.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:37 AM

When (if) we would move, we would be looking to rent for the first 2 years and take that time to research areas, housing, school districts. We have the ability to do that since our oldest will not start school until then. Are there districts that are better than the ones in the Pinehurst area? Private schools would be an option, but I have heard that the cost is high. When it came time to purchase a home, I would be willing to make a commute of maybe upto 45 minutes. Anything in that direction? Unfortunately, a trip to the area is not an option right now. My company does not afford us the luxury of looking at an area in person until you have accepted the job. Seems to be the norm in retail anyway. So as much information helps. Thank you.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 AM

64 posts, read 263,786 times
Union Pines school district is better than Pincrest. That is a more rural part of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina