Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:42 PM

219 posts, read 853,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Just curious...where are the most fireflies in NC.? That is something I am so looking forward to seeing again!! It's better then Disneyland!!
We used to have tons of "lightning bugs" here in Woodlynne NJ (right next to Camden NJ).
Like everything else in Camden.............they ran away before they were robbed or killed. AND I'M SERIOUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 04:11 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
That's so sad. And yet I know it's true. There seems to be little room left in this world for natures most precious!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 04:20 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
What I find so facinating is that having lived in NC most of my life, I just assumed light'ng bugs were EVERYWHERE!

Imagine my surprise, just 2 years ago, when I had clients from Calif ask me what those little lights were! And imagine THEIR surprise when I told them that they were BUGS!

Vicki

Old 03-04-2007, 04:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
What I find so facinating is that having lived in NC most of my life, I just assumed light'ng bugs were EVERYWHERE!

Imagine my surprise, just 2 years ago, when I had clients from Calif ask me what those little lights were! And imagine THEIR surprise when I told them that they were BUGS!

Vicki
I've heard they begin to disappear west of the Mississippi River. Not sure why.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:24 PM

219 posts, read 853,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
That's so sad. And yet I know it's true. There seems to be little room left in this world for natures most precious!!!
Cyn,
No sad faces.
I will always remember, even living in a rather large city like Camden, seeing "lightning bugs".
I'll always cherish such a simple pleasure.
God willing, we will be in North Carolina this summer (for good) and wait for the little "buggers" to FLY.
Won't ever forget catching my first "fireflies" and then felling SO BAD.
HAD TO LET THEM GO.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:10 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

My first summer here I was I unpacking while drinking wine and when I went outside I was thinking am I that drunk that I am seeing all of these little flashing lights??? I soon realized they were lightning bugs. Most of us people from CA have only seen them at Pirates of the Caribean at Disneyland.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:18 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
My first summer here I was I unpacking while drinking wine and when I went outside I was thinking am I that drunk that I am seeing all of these little flashing lights??? I soon realized they were lightning bugs. Most of us people from CA have only seen them at Pirates of the Caribean at Disneyland.
We were out scouting new homes and it was dusk ....getting darker by the minute. We were walking though construction and I had fallen in love with a homes floorplan. DH liked it too! But as we stood in the back I told him the lot would never work. That there must be a busy road behine the trees as I kept seeing headlights pass through. He looked me and said there is no road there. The closer we looked we realized they were lightning bugs! We ended up without that house anyhoo as 2 minutes later we realized it was in the RDU flight pattern (cameron Pond).

Old 05-15-2007, 06:19 AM

I saw my first lightin bug here in Oakboro last night!!! Well, the first one since we visited here 3 years ago. Now we live here and am looking forward to seeing many more. I know very little about where we have moved to, New London NC but hope those lightin bugs will be plentiful there!!!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 93,544 times
I'm sooooo excited to be there! Seeing fireflies is on my son's life list (things to do in his lifetime). Soon we'll be able to mark that one off!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:17 PM

Aren't the minds of children great??!! Sounds like he has a great lifes list!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina