Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:21 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times

Advertisements

Hello I was wondering which is the best city to move to. My friend was told charlotte nc. She was originally planning on moving to Durham but one of her friends at work told her it's not a good place for kids so now she wants to go to charlotte. I've done my research and is it just me or is it the opposite?

On the charlotte section here all i hear is crime. I know every city has crime but which has the most crime out of the two? She is in the medical field so Durham would be a even better choice but she was told charlotte was better. Does anyone here know which is the best location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 09:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Hello I was wondering which is the best city to move to. My friend was told charlotte nc. She was originally planning on moving to Durham but one of her friends at work told her it's not a good place for kids so now she wants to go to charlotte. I've done my research and is it just me or is it the opposite?

On the charlotte section here all i hear is crime. I know every city has crime but which has the most crime out of the two? She is in the medical field so Durham would be a even better choice but she was told charlotte was better. Does anyone here know which is the best location?
Well, since Charlotte has a much larger population than Durham you will of course find much more crime in Charlotte. That doesn't mean it's any more dangerous however. The truth is, your friend should move to wherever she can get a job - they aren't just giving them away these days. There are some very nice parts of Charlotte, it can be a good place to raise a family. Durham has a rough reputation for the most part, though I understand you can find real nice pockets in certain places.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:38 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
You asked about Raleigh and then you switched to Durham so I will give you the crime rates for the three towns. All this can be found under the information for the towns at City-Data.com. Just click on it and put in the city or town you are checking on.

United States average crime rate is 320.9
Latest information on the three towns you mentioned:
Charlotte 648
Raleigh 339
Durham 567.1

Old 12-27-2008, 09:41 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times
Thank you very much. I am sorry I know this question has been asked before but it is hard to tell how updated this information usually is. Most of the graphs I've come across were from 2000. again thanks.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:11 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Default 2007 Crime Report - NC State Bureau of Investigation

See Table 5 - http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/publ...Summary%20.pdf

The 2008 report will be released around June of 2009.

Last edited by mm34b; 12-28-2008 at 04:24 AM..

Old 12-28-2008, 05:42 AM
.-.

157 posts, read 370,792 times
All of this is pretty much irrelevant. Ninety percent or so of those crimes are in certain spots in those cities. Unless you plan on moving into one of them you're very unlikely to be affected by it's higher crime rate. I suggest you make your decision of where you want to live based on some other criteria.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:34 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post
All of this is pretty much irrelevant. Ninety percent or so of those crimes are in certain spots in those cities. Unless you plan on moving into one of them you're very unlikely to be affected by it's higher crime rate. I suggest you make your decision of where you want to live based on some other criteria.
True, when one asks a general question, they get general answers.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:52 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, since Charlotte has a much larger population than Durham you will of course find much more crime in Charlotte. That doesn't mean it's any more dangerous however.
Yes, Charlotte is much larger than Durham.

Durham - Land area: 94.6 square miles. Population in July 2007: 217,847
Charlotte - Land area: 242.3 square miles. Population in July 2007: 671,588.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post

"Best" is subjective. Your friend will have to find out which NC is the best one for her. I know that Charlotte is very family friendly and there are many people happily raising their children here. However I wouldn't discount Durham based on what someone else said. I imagine that there are happy families in Durham as well.

I agree with the other posters. Of course crime stats are important but your friend shouldn't limit her search based on crime. The job market here is tight so IMO that should be her main focus. She should also research things like housing costs, schools and other amenities that may be important (parks, library systems, etc). That way if she gets offers in multiple cities she'll have more information to make an informed decision.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:56 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Hi Ron,

I wouldn't be scared of Durham based on the rumors you hear. I grew up in Durham and it is a great place to raise a family. There are many families that are happy living in an urban, suburban, or country lifestyle here. Duke and UNC hospitals are some of the best in the world and very convenient. There are a few areas in Durham that has higher crime, but there really is no reason to be in those areas and is easily avoidable. I have lived here for 22 years and not once have had a problem or feared going out. Durham's downtown has been going through a great revitalization with much to offer and even more to come. My boyfriend (who grew up in Cary, one of the “safest towns”) and I were downtown in the American Tobacco Historic District just last night. There were security guards everywhere watching the grounds and not a single shady person. Just regular people like you and I out having a great time. There's also Hillsborough, a historic and quaint town close to Durham and Chapel Hill if you would like to be in a small town, but still close to everything. I suggest visiting both the Triangle and Charlotte, and definitely go where the job is. You really can't go wrong with either area.

Last edited by DanielleNC; 12-28-2008 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-28-2008, 08:05 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
You really can't compare the 2 (Charlotte & Durham)...they are no where similar in size...Charlotte is the size of Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill put together (population).

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 12-28-2008 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina