U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:41 PM

8 posts, read 28,304 times

Advertisements

Hello and great day to all out there........My family and I are wanting to move from South Carolina to North Carolina. We are looking for a town that is friendly and safe and a great place to raise children. There will be me and my husband and we have a 8 year old. Plus there will be are three other children ages 25,26.and 27 years old and two granddaughters ages 4 and 6. We are moving are whole family.......We want a place that is small but with work not to far to drive to......My husband is a cook and my son wants to either deal in the car business or work in an animal shelter.......My daughter loves animals too and love to work in the outdoors (she loves to hike and love nature)..... I would somewhere where there is some snow in the winter, we miss the snow. We are just tired of the people here in South Carolina.....they are not very friendly here and the cost of living is way to high......we live in Columbia. Also the hot weather and the air stinks.........we have lived here 10 years and have never really got use to the heat and the people. We lived in Tenn for 3 years and then moved here and wished we never did......We want a place that is friendly, where people are not afraid to say hello or else you can invite them over for coffee and cake........here you can't do that.......We hope to move before the school year starts in Aug....Schools are an important thing for us.....I drove the kids to a school that was 45 min from are home so they could at least go to a decent school.......also my little one the 8 year old wants to play baseball.........but down here he couldn't because the cost to join a team was over $100.00..........We will need some rental homes that do not cost an arm and a leg.......we would like to live somewhere there are other children too..........any help would be greatly appricated.........thank you all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2006, 04:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,834,261 times
Um.... I don't think you are going to find that big of a difference between SC and most of NC.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:32 PM

787 posts, read 3,464,495 times
Weather wise the area isn't a lot different. We might get snow at a slightly higher incident. As for the other things that you addressed, well, there are a lot smaller places in North Carolina that in South Carolina. I remember biracial family having their car break down in the early 90's right in front of our house. We could see them out on Hwy 95 struggling to get the car off the road. Chris went out there and helped the man while the woman and the 4 girls came in the house and got warmed up. To make a long story short we ended up getting them back home to Pennsylvania when it was clear the car was shot short of an engine over haul. He made the comment then that they had trouble in South Carolina. At the time we were about 90 miles from the South Carolina line and somehow they nursed the car until they got in front of our house. And that was it. It didn't budge again on its own steam. But the man stated that he was nearly scared to death to ask for help in South Carolina. I am not saying the entire state is like that because believe me there are some toads up here as well. Smaller towns like the place I live in are friendly and usually open up after a new comer comes to town. But it takes a while. Once you let them know you are happy with your choice, you can rest assure that you will be taken care of if you had been born in one of these smaller North Carolina towns. The western end of the state is cooler in general and has more snow than the eastern part where I live. But most small towns generally act and treat people pretty much the same. I am not sure the mail man will sort out your mail for you and bring a cake to you (Funny Farm, starring Chevy Chase) but the mailman here brings my mail right to the game room and places it on the pool table because he knows it is like an act of God for me to get to the mail box. Does this sound like the kind of perks you are looking for? Most small towns have something that is as good as this. Good luck in your hunt. Just decide on which area of the state you are interested in.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:58 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,914,872 times
i'd have to agree with i'minformed... not too much of a difference.

i think the rude ppl is b/c of the decent sized city you live in; it has been in the mid to high 80's this week in asheville areas, and it was 93 degrees a few days ago... i think like saturday... not sure if that is better or not, but i have noticed from the news that it is usually warmer in upstate/sc areas than it is here in nc...

Old 06-15-2006, 11:12 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,672,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Um.... I don't think you are going to find that big of a difference between SC and most of NC.
How much of SC have you seen?

I like the north-northwestern part; the foothills of the Cherokees make you feel like you are almost in the NC mountains. Charleston is neat for its history. I have a friend whose mom lives in Columbia. It's just a city that gets a lot of bad storms in the summer. The rest of the state .. meh .. It does have the Peachoid. That's a picture I send to friends to get a laugh. Most times, I get the reply "Omigod, it's a b*tt! Complete with clinger!"

Old 06-16-2006, 12:44 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,672,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
Smaller towns like the place I live in are friendly and usually open up after a new comer comes to town. But it takes a while. Once you let them know you are happy with your choice, you can rest assure that you will be taken care of if you had been born in one of these smaller North Carolina towns.
Good summation. I think the key attitude is "Once you let them know you are happy with your choice".

Being a rider who loves to follow the small, squiggly roads on the map, I think I've seen quite a bit of this state. Not so much the eastern part - flatlands I don't care for But I'm sitting here with my map, looking at all the yellow-dotted towns I've marked: the larger ones like Asheboro, Hickory, Wilkesboro, Morganton .. Lincolnton, Boone, Lenoir; and the tiny ones: Spruce Pine, Jefferson, Traphill, McGrady..... There are even more places that have no name, just an enclave of people clustered around a crossroads gas station where I've stopped to fill up and get a snack. In all my years of riding and exploring (getting darned close to a decade), I've had one bad experience. That was when I was following a road that rambled along a trout stream, taking pictures of the tumbled down houses and weekend fishing shacks. Contrary to what my topo map indicated, the road ended at a long gravel driveway. I sat there looking at my map, scratching my head, and making notes: "this road doesn't go anywhere", when I had a "Deliverance" episode. I had heard and dismissed the sound of a chain saw; someone cutting wood for the winter or to sell; when this hoary-looking fellow comes from behind his shack, still carrying the buzzing chainsaw, a vicious looking dawg at his heels. He was giving me a look that clearly said I wasn't welcome there. I didn't think I was that good at making a tight U-turn on my bike, but I did. I sped out of there, anticipating a snarling Hound of Baskerville Beast to come after me, but the dude must have kept his dawg at heel.

The rest of my trips; all the spring/summer/fall (even a few early winter) travels; I've been treated wonderfully. Didn't matter if it was having lunch at a Wendy's off of highway 29, stopping at a gas station to fill up and get a snackie, or getting lost and hollering at someone cutting their grass, asking for directions. I projected a courteous attitude, indicated that I was just out ridin', ramblin' and enjoying the countryside, often times asked if there was anything interesting to see in the area, and I was embraced almost like family, certainly like a friend. I've lost count of the times I'd be sitting under a tree by the side of the road, taking a break or lunch, and had people stop to ask if I needed help. When I shook my head and explained that I was just enjoying a beautiful NC day, I got a smile and "well, you enjoy yerself."

We like this state very much. I don't get a lot of the bad attitudes from posters, but chalk it up to them thinking that moving here is going to solve all their ills, meeting another transplant and having a conjoined attitude moment, or they just haven't gotten away from their transplant-clotted cities and met the people who truly inspire the southern charm that is touted in the tourist brochures. Rednecks we have, in great numbers. There are plenty of the "Free Eric Rudolph"-types. But those can be found just about anywhere.

If you don't like it here, better to just leave. There'll be another transplant to take your place, maybe one who will like it here and keep this state a great place to live. Hopefully you'll find a happier life elsewhere; it's the misanthropes who make it harder for those of us who love living here to be accepted.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:49 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,109,851 times
I live in Columbia, and I agree that it's not a friendly place. It's a city. I also think it's because of so many folks from New Jersey that live here, and stay here after they graduate from USC. Surely there are other reasons too, but I haven't been able to pinpoint them. Even the people who live out in the suburbs, Lexingon, Cayce, and Northeast aren't very friendly, compared to people from smaller towns. However, I think your claim that "South Carolinians aren't as nice as people from North Carolina" is complete nonsense. But you're right on about a lot of that stuff. Columbia is so hot it's bizarre. It's constantly 5-6 degrees hotter than towns in every direction.

Also, if your family is outdoorsy, Columbia isn't a good spot. So I can understand why you want to move. But there are plenty of places out there less friendly than Columbia, SC!

Old 06-16-2006, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,995 times
I have lived in NC my life and have enjoyed it the whole time, and I think you are going to like it as well.I would like to suggest the Clayton and Archer Lodge communities. I have lived this area for about 6 years and I have loved it out here, and i think you would to. The children would love to liveout here I think. And you wouldnt have to pay no where near $100 for baseball. There is a community with an athletic club and an outdoor/indoor pools, church, daycare, E. school, M. school, and a H. school in planning, but they do not have rental homes but you can still go to the schools if you live within the limits. You can get a membership for the pool and the athletic club. I am not sure about the church and stuff though I do not live in the community, this community is called Riverwood. Everyone that is arond will talk to you and will not be afraid to throw their hand up and wave. The weather isn't bad we get snow everyonce and a while. You can get a rental home around here for an apprioate price. The children will not be bored, everyone loves to get out and play and the children are always playing so they can have some fun. For work the resturant bussiness is booming and we do have a animal shelter all within a 10 mile radius, and we have a few car dealerships around. To find a home over heere I would try online looking at Clayton newspapers and look up mobile home dealers or mobile home parks and see if they have any double wides or triple wides for a pretty good price if you want to. But if you are looking for a home I would try the newspaper ads.Clayton is in Johnston County just to let you know. Good luck with finding you house, and if you have any other questions you can ask me.GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 06-16-2006, 02:55 PM

33 posts, read 189,887 times
Hi margater, I'm from NJ and looking to get out and come to the Carolina's. We are looking at the upstate greenville area in sc and hear it is wonderful or the Raleigh suburbs like Clayton, Holly springs and Fuquay-Varina. I can't imagine how people would be so much friendlier in NC than in SC. I hear great things about the upstate and the people there. Also, we want to move for financial reasons, property taxes etc. here in NJ. Since the Raleigh area is so popular with people moving there I worry if the same thing is gonna happen in a few years that happened to Florida. Florida used to be real cheap and in the last 3-4 years everyone moved there and the property taxes, etc have tripled and they can't afford to live there anymore! Yikes! What are your thoughts on that. I just want to buy a small home and be debt free. Can anyone help me out with any suggestions about good areas in SC and NC. Good jobs, good schools, affordable housing no more than $150,000. Thanks

Old 06-16-2006, 07:00 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,927,676 times
Default Peach

The peach photo would have been taken in Gaffney and is right next to I-85 for everyone to see. Be careful not to serve in your lane from laughter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>