Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,539 times

Advertisements

I'm in dire need of some clarification here so I'm hoping some NC attorneys or someone who has had a similar experience will chime in and help me with some information:
I have been dealing with my attorney for two years in an effort to come to a financial agreement with my husband before we file for divorce. Now that that is accomplished, my attorney informs me he will be keeping a check made out to me by my husband as part of our settlement, in payment for his legal fees. I think this is underhanded, illegal, unfair, immoral and downright unethical. I would like to just go in and snatch it from him when he asks me to endorse it, but would rather take the high road and straighten out the matter before I go to the NC Bar Association. I am afraid, however, if I give him the chance, he will do something dastardly like put his law firm's stamp on it for deposit or raise my fees. Also, I already attempted to discuss a payment plan with him just recently but he ignored my email on the subject. I also went into the relationship with the stated understanding that a payment plan would be necessary, and I have every intention of paying my bill.
What do I do now??? I'd be so appreciative of some perspective here, the sooner the better.

Last edited by JoanD'Arc; 01-04-2009 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,850 times
You could call the Bar and ask, they won't do anything until you file a complaint.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
You could call the Bar and ask, they won't do anything until you file a complaint.
Thanks for the moral support! I have actually gotten on line a couple of times in the past and discovered the Bar Association has a client assistance department. If my atty gives me a hard time about this issue, I believe this is the time to call.
Thanks again.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 AM

I had some bad dealings with a lawyer once. Did 2k worth of work for him, he decided not to pay. After 6 months I paid him a visit, he moved from around his desk and said "who is going to side against someone who is handicapped?". A few weeks later I saw him downtown, he ran is mouth again...I almost pushed him into traffic (come to think of it, I should have).

I filed a complaint with the bar and eventually received my monies.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I had some bad dealings with a lawyer once. Did 2k worth of work for him, he decided not to pay. After 6 months I paid him a visit, he moved from around his desk and said "who is going to side against someone who is handicapped?". A few weeks later I saw him downtown, he ran is mouth again...I almost pushed him into traffic (come to think of it, I should have).

I filed a complaint with the bar and eventually received my monies.
I'm extremely shocked and saddened at your story. Also, so glad to hear you finally succeded. Was he sanctioned in any way for the atrocious behavior???

Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM

After that incident I quit consulting to lawyers and worked with people who paid w/o my having to chase them down. I've not seen him since....if I do I'll push him into traffic.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
After that incident I quit consulting to lawyers and worked with people who paid w/o my having to chase them down. I've not seen him since....if I do I'll push him into traffic.
GRRR! After this last round with my own lawyer, a Samuel Clemens quote keeps coming to mind: "99% of all lawyers give the rest a bad name!"
(I apologize if there are any lawyers out there who practice ethical behavior.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina