Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,016 times

Advertisements

"Is North Carolina overrated?" No, it is not. It's not a utopia and it's not perfect (no state is), but it is pretty great.

The people are friendly and welcoming, there's great Southern culture (which has nothing to do with its racist past), many small towns that still have that small town feel, lots of fun things to do. I love living here and thank God often that we were finally able to move back here in '91 after living in other states for 6 years (Ohio, Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma). There's nowhere else I'd rather live.

As far as Yankees and how they're treated, I've never heard or seen anyone treat a Yankee badly. Or any other non-Southerner for that matter. Even if folks have stereotypes about Yankees or have had bad experiences with Yankees (I had some when I lived in Ohio), the majority wouldn't be rude to someone just because they're not Southerners.

I live in NC's third largest city. People here are still friendly. We still wave at folks and say "hey" or smile at them, whether we know them or not. The drivers can be crazy at times (probably Yankee transplants or Southern NASCAR fans lol ), but it's not as bad as some other places.

Folks are more than welcome to visit here and move here as long as they're friendly and don't try to change the way we live and talk.

God bless y'all!

Last edited by Niki; 06-18-2006 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 01:14 PM

152 posts, read 465,478 times
I'm sorry to here about the school situation, sounds bad in some area's. I don't
know how N.C. funds its schools but here in Jersey its property taxes. That's
a big reason many retired and young folks are moving out. Property taxes have
been relentlessly moving up and wages are not keeping up for many.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:04 AM

107 posts, read 354,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
Right.. let me get this straight.. so these small towns around North Carolina, used to be friendly places where everyone is polite, and have had influxes of yankees. Now they aren't friendly anymore. Just like about 15 other places in the south I can think of. And you can come onto a NC message board, where most of the people posting are from the north, and tell everybody that it's the southerners fault?

That's some nerve. And give me a break about "Yankee prejudice". What a joke! When a southerner goes anywhere outside the south, his perceived IQ drops by about 50%.
Not in my book by any means . The only stereotypical thing that I know of about southerners is that they like to slow down and smell the roses . Something I admire, not look down upon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Right.... and if I say I'm fron New York, I'm automaticaly some Italian mobster with 3 cousins named vinny, I talk with a Noo Yoak accent, and I've never seen a tree or waved to anyone in my life. (I'm actually from Rochester NY, way up in the Northwestern area of the state, 7 hours from NYC, part of the Great North Woods, an hour north of the rolling hills in wine country). There are stereotypes of everyone from everywhere.
Well how come if you go on New Yorks forums, you dont see people trashing the southerners ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
"Is North Carolina overrated?" No, it is not. It's not a utopia and it's not perfect (no state is), but it is pretty great.

The people are friendly and welcoming, there's great Southern culture (which has nothing to do with its racist past), many small towns that still have that small town feel, lots of fun things to do. I love living here and thank God often that we were finally able to move back here in '91 after living in other states for 6 years (Ohio, Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma). There's nowhere else I'd rather live.

As far as Yankees and how they're treated, I've never heard or seen anyone treat a Yankee badly. Or any other non-Southerner for that matter. Even if folks have stereotypes about Yankees or have had bad experiences with Yankees (I had some when I lived in Ohio), the majority wouldn't be rude to someone just because they're not Southerners.

I live in NC's third largest city. People here are still friendly. We still wave at folks and say "hey" or smile at them, whether we know them or not. The drivers can be crazy at times (probably Yankee transplants or Southern NASCAR fans lol ), but it's not as bad as some other places.

Folks are more than welcome to visit here and move here as long as they're friendly and don't try to change the way we live and talk.

God bless y'all!
I'll give you the driving part about us (yankees ! In all of my visits, I am happy to say that I have met only nice , respectable people like yourself. It was just some postings on this forum, which I think are uncalled for , and I am sorry that there does still seem to be southerner jokes too which has been pointed out , but as I stated previously I havent seen them on this forum. I would never want to change anyone , especially being a newcomer to your home town. , as I would not anyone to change who I am either ! God Bless you too !

Last edited by Yac; 06-20-2006 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-19-2006, 08:31 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,546 times
I have been here my entire life and quite frankly I was surprised by the interest in the state. Clearly I am "immuned" to it since I have been here so long. The beaches are great and the mountains are great as are the small towns that have a feel of history and roots to them. I am not much of a city person so I can't say anything positive or negative about the cities except I know I don't belong in one. But it seems to be a big attraction for those settling here and I hope that you truly find what you are looking for. I believe that it is here if you belong in North Carolina. But some places can be difficult to break into if you will. These are mainly the smaller rooted towns like I live in. Once you get in and make it clear that you want to be here, you are accepted. Try to change something and they will attack you like a rabid dog. I have seen it happen too many times.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:09 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
Well how come if you go on New Yorks forums, you dont see people trashing the southerners ?
Because we're nicer. In defense of my Northerness.... the thing that ticks me off the most is that many Southerners automaticaly assume that they are nicer than all northereners. And that couldn't be further from the truth. And come to think of it....lol, in the New York forum, there is a lovely southern woman (from texas) who is making the move to Binghamton NY or somehwere else upstate, and is being given nothing but good advice and encouragement from locals (and me). And she is looking VERY forward to it. Pioneer8 is her name.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Because we're nicer. In defense of my Northerness.... the thing that ticks me off the most is that many Southerners automaticaly assume that they are nicer than all northereners. And that couldn't be further from the truth. And come to think of it....lol, in the New York forum, there is a lovely southern woman (from texas) who is making the move to Binghamton NY or somehwere else upstate, and is being given nothing but good advice and encouragement from locals (and me). And she is looking VERY forward to it. Pioneer8 is her name.
To me , its not about who is nicer or who isnt, to me, it is about me and or any other people relocating to you town and hoping to be welcomed with open arms !

Old 06-19-2006, 09:16 AM

well, I was just joking about the nicER thing.... hence the little winking smiley face. lol.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
There have been other (who were banned) for the same comment. Makes you think huh?
I was simply supporting my argument that whether or not everyone is or is not stereotyped, I saw negativitiy on this forum about yankees and Not on the Ny forum. check out the facts , thats all, and please don't ban me for a factual statements. I have only spoken the truth in my postings,. Not once did I put anyone down., ( That is not my intentions here ) I am asking for the steretyping to stop on ALL ends thats all. I came into this forum to be educated on the state that I will be calling home soon and this was not what I asked for .Just to reinstate a posting from LONG ago, I am not talking about everone or every posting on this site, I am only talking about some. As they say, one good apple can spoil the bunch, and that goes for everyone, everywhere Hence the word Stereotype ..(Get rid of it already )

Quote:
well, I was just joking about the nicER thing.... hence the little winking smiley face. lol.
Gotcha

Quote:
THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
There have been other (who were banned) for the same comment. Makes you think huh?
What does it make you think about ? Please elaborate on this comment.

Last edited by Yac; 06-20-2006 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-19-2006, 11:03 AM

He's saying that it's a conspiracy. I'm pretty sure it was just a joke. "the southeren moderaters are out to get us!!!" lol

Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,646 times
You would be correct. See, he sees my humor Although, most people who get banned seem to be "Yankees" even though some reading I have done, it seemed to be more the NC fault. Just my opinion (will I get banned for my opinion? Time will tell)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina