Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:29 PM

161 posts, read 683,116 times

Advertisements

We moved to Raleigh last year and my son began his senior year at the base school. It was difficult and he misses his friends. We had to relocate for work and he is a great kid;understanding. The schools are dealing with many new students and his school had special rooms in the guidance office were open at lunch for all the new students fthe first few weeks of school. He met some nice kids then. Activities are key- get them involved! Make sure you have your child's math, language, and music placement reviewed. My son came from a private school up in NY and the math in NY was definitely behind- along with the language. He worked very hard to catch up to the students. We also explained that the colleges in the Triangle area(Raleigh) are so great that he would love the 2ndry school options. He can also afford a house here when he gets older. Adversity sometimes makes people strong and to have the relocation experience before they reach college can help them grow and get used to change. Your move will refocus on you and your child instead of your child and their social life. It can be very nice even though they will complain initially. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,296 times
Default Hi

Im a teenager that lives in North Carolina. Moving to North Carolina will probally be good for her. When she gets here she will love it. People down here are very loving and are willing to make new friends everyday. For all she knows she could fall in love with somebody down here. If shes country she can do country things, if shes a party girl she can party. No matter what kind of person she is she will make new friends.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
As a parent, you have the final choice. My daughter was adamant about moving as well. A couple of weeks ago, we visited Raleigh during its school open house and she did a bow faced. She fell in love with the schools and sports and having the privilege of driving at 15. Also, after seeing several rental properties she was amazed. Moving from NYC to NC; she now welcomes the change. But nevertheless, I went through a little of what you're going through except for the back talk. My daughter really had no choice. Yes, it would've been an adjustment but she would've adjusted sooner or later. With three more years of high school; she would've made friends. Really, how many real friends does she have? I do understand the social adjustments and the psycological well being of teens. This is truly the worst stage in their lives, but sometimes conflict is a great test of endurance. If you need to seek family counseling do so.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:20 AM

96 posts, read 373,836 times
Hi Everyone!

I'm so happy to hear some positive sides on relocating a teenager. I have read all the posts over and over and have gained some real important insight. Arussell, our daughter was all set on moving to South Carolina when we originally decided to move down there. However, we discovered our health insurance did not follow us to that state however, it does in North Carolina. She was originally attracted to Lake Murray in S.C. and the community we were going to move into. She looked forward to the water sports and some activities in school. I will have to take here to North Carolina again (our last trip was too short) to see some of the communities and the schools. I will not hesitate to seek counseling if I need to. I highly recommend this for anyone who needs help with their teenagers. Remember, teenagers have a tendency to HEAR what others say and many times ignore their parents. Thanks for you avice.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 AM

Barbara, I hope you've made some leeway. I think making new friends is their biggest fear. It's enlightning to hear that some of the schools have newcomer groups to meet others in the same situation. Good Luck to you, your daughter and your husband with his job hunting!

Old 03-15-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malorie View Post
Im a teenager that lives in North Carolina. Moving to North Carolina will probally be good for her. When she gets here she will love it. People down here are very loving and are willing to make new friends everyday. For all she knows she could fall in love with somebody down here. If shes country she can do country things, if shes a party girl she can party. No matter what kind of person she is she will make new friends.
Malorie, I have two teemagers. My daughter is party and my son is country. You are very sweet and I hope if we do ever move down there she gets to meet friends as open minded as you are. Thanks for your response.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsprufera View Post
We moved to Raleigh last year and my son began his senior year at the base school. It was difficult and he misses his friends. We had to relocate for work and he is a great kid;understanding. The schools are dealing with many new students and his school had special rooms in the guidance office were open at lunch for all the new students fthe first few weeks of school. He met some nice kids then. Activities are key- get them involved! Make sure you have your child's math, language, and music placement reviewed. My son came from a private school up in NY and the math in NY was definitely behind- along with the language. He worked very hard to catch up to the students. We also explained that the colleges in the Triangle area(Raleigh) are so great that he would love the 2ndry school options. He can also afford a house here when he gets older. Adversity sometimes makes people strong and to have the relocation experience before they reach college can help them grow and get used to change. Your move will refocus on you and your child instead of your child and their social life. It can be very nice even though they will complain initially. Good Luck!

Good Information! This is so important for all parents to know. There is so much help available for them sometimes parents are not aware. I'm pretty much on top of that here in the Northeast. It may take more than a few phone calls and meetings with the school. Somehow by reading the scores of some of the schools in N.C. I got the feeling they were ahead. With the right help challenge is good. She will complain but I will be there to listen and help her through it.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 AM

362 posts, read 995,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPERIALBROWNS View Post
Barbara, I hope you've made some leeway. I think making new friends is their biggest fear. It's enlightning to hear that some of the schools have newcomer groups to meet others in the same situation. Good Luck to you, your daughter and your husband with his job hunting!
Thanks Imperial. We are going to NC and SC in April because there are some colleges my daughter wants to see. Watch she will fall in love with them and ask us to move ASAP. As if my husband could find a job and sell our house in 4 months! Good luck to you. I'd love to know what you finally decide and how it works out. Take care,
Barbara

Old 03-15-2007, 11:55 AM

That's how things smetimes tend to happen Barbara. I will keep in touch. Good luck with your trip. I may also be planning a trip soon with my daughter.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:56 PM

Hi Babara,

Good to hear from you. Relocation is still a dilemma. Thanks for asking. My daughter sometimes gets excited about the move but at times is hesitant. One of the problems is that it is taking so long to sell the house. We did have one offer on our house but a little too low. I'm glad to hear you are visiting colleges in North Carolina. Sounds very positive.
Raleigh and Charlotte seem to offer much employment opportunities. Wish you and your family the best. Please keep in touch. It would be interesting to see how your daughter feels after your visit down there. Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina