Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:48 AM

64 posts, read 263,786 times

Advertisements

I think the problem is that every 5-10 years there's a new hot spot everyone wants to move to. There are droves of people moving to NC from FL and other areas that were the place to be before. NC needs twice as many schools built as they already have and that doesn't include all the people on their way. If you're not on an interstate in NC it's a crapshoot if you'll find your way or not. Raleigh and other areas are under almost constant water constrictions because they don't have enough water for the people who live there now. The immigrant population is exploding at an alarming rate across the state. All this means skyrocketing taxes. Does that mean in 5-10 years everyone will be on the move again? I don't have a problem with the state itself or the people that live here. It's with how the politicians and elected officials are dealing with these problems. From what I've seen most of them have no idea how to deal with it, and they are just grasping at straws. Enjoy what you have, where you are, and sit back and enjoy life for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2006, 07:22 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times
There will always be a "new" hot spot but many reports note that their is a lot of job growth too, job growth helps the local ecomony. If they are building then the new homes would help with the tax base too. Money and Forbes have consistently reported over the past few years that Raleigh is one of the best places to live and work. From what I hear, a lot of companies are coming down there, they need people to do the work, hence more people are coming. As for immigration, a lot of other cultures (will not name any specifically) place a high emphasis on education so the immigtants you refer too are also highly educated. Come to NYC, we have more immigrants here then anywhere and no so educated, the same thing in CA - remember their strike...

Old 06-19-2006, 07:48 AM

The immigrants I'm referring to are not highly educated, and don't speak English. That's why everything you see here has to be in Spanish as well.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:54 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times
I did not realize that, but let me assure you, that is the same all over. That is why everytime you call a company or service, even the Operator you press 2 to spk spanish...Just out of curisoity, where is the area that has a large hispanic population...while NYC is very diverse, overall in NY there are still areas that are very much segreated. People of the same culture (as I do blieves the racial differences are not only color of skin) generally reside in the same area...I have no problem with other races, nationalities, etc coming here and trying to live the "American: dream, my issue is learn our language, we should not accomodate them, they should adjust to where they are living. the same senitment when you relocate, you don't try to change them, you need to adapt to that areas way of life...

Old 06-19-2006, 08:42 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times
lakeman, I'm normally a polite, and in person soft-spoken, educated individual who wants to get along with all, but I just suffered a family death and I'm going to be unnaturally strident in my grief and frustration. You are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. WRONG.

Every prior culture and every prior immigrant group with the exception of the Spanish speakers has learned the language that helps hold these diverse peoples together in our country, the language of both the people here, and the workforce all over the country. You don't have to speak Tagalog, Mandarin, Polish, Kikuyu, Norwegian, German, Farsi, Italian, Japanese etc. etc. to converse with your fellow Americans from these diverse backgrounds do you? For the Spanish speakers and particularly the illegals to demand that they will now be the exception to assimilation is to dismantle the heretofore working miracle of an America made up from people from everywhere. It is an out and out insult to every naturalized citizen that has ever become part of our great country. It is in fact saying, in Spanish, "I hate you America, and I hate you gringos." And I know the depth of that hatred personally. I live in the worst-case-scenario city of illegals and American-culture-haters, Los Angeles.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:48 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
The immigrants I'm referring to are not highly educated, and don't speak English. That's why everything you see here has to be in Spanish as well.
Some places I have seen other languages also (Chinnese.)

Old 06-19-2006, 09:02 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I know I joke and I poke fun a little... but what sarcastic tone are you talking about? Could you post an example so I know?

Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 AM

I'm sorry if I offended you fastfilm but the fact of the matter remains. I don't care if you're hispanic, chinese, or whatever, learn the language, pay your due taxes, and do everything else a hardworking citizen of this country has to do.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:19 PM

107 posts, read 354,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk0171
I have never, ever seen anyone write that NC is the end to all their problems....most people move to NC for a BETTER life for hundreds of reasons, not for an "end to all their problems"...I think that place is called heaven.
Bravo, Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2006, 09:22 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
aim1700
I knew you'd love it! I'm so happy you had a great visit. Jealous, too. I'm just counting the days.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina