U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 25,984,166 times

Advertisements

To those thinking of moving here to work for the State or to teach. If you think $500/month for family coverage is outrageous, things may get worse:

State's health plan needs $300 million bailout - Legislature - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/politicians/legislature/story/1372082.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 PM

535 posts, read 1,659,478 times
I pay 440/mo. It's a lot but I don't have a lot of options.

I really wish they'd look at redoing the contract. I've asked them to consider it, oh no, BCBS is great! Well, someone way up in the state has a huge interest in BCBS.

One thing I wish they'd do is prorate it based on your health. I go to the doc for my yearly checkup. I've been to the doc 4 times in 3 years. 3 checkups and one visit to get a mole removed. My kid? Yearly checkups and maybe one other visit for bad colds. Neither of us are on meds and my doc pushes preventative maintenance.

I know more than a few people who abuse the system. One goes to the doc for everything. Kid coughing? Trip to the ER. Teen with a fever? ER. One or twice per week she's at the doc for something that she's dealing with.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:14 PM

850 posts, read 4,555,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
I know more than a few people who abuse the system. One goes to the doc for everything. Kid coughing? Trip to the ER. Teen with a fever? ER. One or twice per week she's at the doc for something that she's dealing with.
I wouldn't call that "abusing" the system. You have no idea what their medical situation is. Maybe the kid coughing has asthma. Maybe the teen with the fever got it out of nowhere and it was of concern. Perhaps they called their physician first who instructed them to go to the ER. No one wants to go to the ER for the heck of it. It's not a fun place to be. You just never know what someone's situation is, so it's unfair to judge them. And on the off chance that all of those visits weren't necessary, I still wouldn't call it abuse. They're just being proactive with their health rather than being sitting ducks.

As far as rates...my husband's company's rate is a little over $900/mo. for the family. Now that's ridiculous and unaffordable.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 PM

770 posts, read 2,645,609 times
WEll of course you hit the nail on the head with the issue you outline. Parents demanding CAT scans because Jimmy fell off his bike is driving the cost of healthcare up in this country . I've just finished reading a book called Overtreated by Shannon Brownlee and it provokes some interesting thoughts.
Don't expect the State plan to go anywhere but down in terms of care and up in terms of cost

Quote:

I really wish they'd look at redoing the contract. I've asked them to consider it, oh no, BCBS is great! Well, someone way up in the state has a huge interest in BCBS.

One thing I wish they'd do is prorate it based on your health. I go to the doc for my yearly checkup. I've been to the doc 4 times in 3 years. 3 checkups and one visit to get a mole removed. My kid? Yearly checkups and maybe one other visit for bad colds. Neither of us are on meds and my doc pushes preventative maintenance.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 AM

535 posts, read 1,659,478 times
Steve, I'll have to read that one. I do wish they could rate it like they do for auto/homeowner's - you make a lot of claims and your individual rates increase. Quit penalizing me for those who overdo it.

I'm not ready for another increase, crap, I'm supposed to be making more as time goes by not less.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 4,796 times
I'm a teaching in Connecticut but will soon be moving to North Carolina and hope to find a teaching job there. As a single mother, these insurance rates that you quote are pretty scary. I just can't afford to live in Connecticut anymore. I'll be taking a deep cut in pay and now this insurance info is so high.

Can anyone give me more information about teaching in the Clayton area? How hard is it to get a job teaching in an elementary school? Do all the schools pay the same or does it depend on what town you work in? Here in CT each school district pays differently. Is there a teachers union?

Sorry for all the questions... just nervous.

Thanks,
G

Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 AM

850 posts, read 4,555,660 times
Clayton is Johston Co. school...look up their website for pay information, it should be posted. I know in Wake Co., pay is based on the number of years you've teached. Maybe bonuses for hard to fill positions I think I heard.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 AM

16,294 posts, read 27,080,692 times
Quote:
Coverage for spouse is $461/month, and they are talking about 30% increase, in addition to increasing the deductible, max out of pocket. They are currently delaying payments to providers by 45 days. The wife's doctor is so far pretty cool with that, but I'm sure that many are being dunned by doctors/hospitals for the money.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:33 PM

576 posts, read 1,458,202 times
My husband is a state employee and I believe he does not pay for his insurance. I wonder why they don't have some type of premium for employee only coverage to help offset the cost of the plan. My employer has premiums for individual and family plans.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 PM

983 posts, read 3,808,010 times
Teachers make the same salary across the state. But depending on which school system you work in, you get a supplement from anywhere of 3% to 9% of your salary.

Insurance for Employee/child is a little cheaper than family insurance.

State employees don't pay for their share of insurance...only that of their family. One option the state is looking at is making the employee pay for themselves too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>