Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM

59 posts, read 228,401 times

Advertisements

We want to find a retirement lake lot at one of these two lakes, to purchase now and build on in the future. We lived in Charlottesville for years in the 90's and have many friends there. Both lakes are about two hours drive from Charlottesville, so that is a wash.

We vacationed for several years on Smith Mountain Lake and thus have a familiarity with it, and have heard many good things about Lake Gaston, also, although we've not visited it yet.

Prices seem a tad higher on Smith Mountain Lake. I've spoken with realtors on both lakes and they both speak of having very large inventories of properties for sale right now. Of course, this softens prices.

Pros for Gaston: water level seems to be controlled and is more consistent and stays fairly high due to Kerr Lake releasing more water when necessary. Prices seem better. One to one and a half hours to either Richmond or Raleigh. Good water quality.

Cons for Gaston: taxes in NC are higher. The water is somewhat shallower (not sure if that makes a difference). Not quite as beautiful as SML's small mountains, but Gaston's lots are therefore more sloped to the lake.

Pros for SML: gorgeous and we've seen it. We're used to it and we like it. Normally deeper water. Lower taxes than Gaston in NC.

Cons for SML: the last few years there's been quite a drought effect on SML, with water levels down several feet and some docks are dry. Prices are higher. Between Roanoke and Lynchburg, nice small cities but not the greatest metro areas to visit for culture, shopping, etc.

Thoughts? Have I missed anything? Anyone spent time on both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Have you posted this on the Virginia forum, b/c honestly - w/ the location of Lake Gaston being on the border - and Smith Lake being in VA - I think you may get more info on that forum.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:05 PM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
I think this will come down to the surrounding beauty of Smith Mtn vs the convenience of Lake Gaston. Being right off I-85 lends the connectivity you want, but to me (a mountain dweller by choice, for full disclosure) the surrounding hills/mountains around Smith Mountain would make the decision for me.

Another thing you may want to consider is the clearness of the water. I know Lake Gaston is quite muddy, like the rivers of Eastern NC and VA. Is Smith Mountain Lake clearer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina