U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,012 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently completed a house hunting trip to the Fayetteville, NC area, weren't impressed! On our trip back to Atlanta, we stumbled across Saint Pauls, NC. It was like a Norman Rockwell town...so sweet, humble and clean. We walked around the downtown, spoke to a few locals residents, then fell in love with the area. It seems like an easy commute to Bragg; one resident said 30 minutes. We're relocating ot Bragg from McPherson, so a 30 min commute to work, is easier than an hour!

Does anyone have any input about the Saint Pauls area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM

983 posts, read 3,784,987 times
Honestly, St. Pauls and the surrounding area is full of crime! There are SOME nice people (I used to live just down the road in Lumber Bridge) in an around the area, but there is ALOT of drugs in Robeson County. My husband was a State Trooper down there, and alot of the cars he stopped had dope, drivers had licenses revoked, DWIs, etc., etc., etc.

There's also alot of Hispanics in the area too...nothing wrong with them...but they've taken over. The factories have left, few jobs in the area, and when you're in areas like that, the quality of life diminishes.

Look at the Eastover area of Cumberland County--you can get to base in about 30 minutes via I-295, close to town, and shopping, and Eastover itself is growing.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,032 times
Default Saint Pauls is a gem!

Army4ever: great username by the way!! You're absolutely right about St. Pauls!!! We have lived here for five years and have never been happier. You can get a lot of house for very cheap. My wife and I both work in Fayetteville and Fort Bragg, respectfully, and look forward to the drive home to a quiet town.

We have heard horror stories about the crime in Fayetteville, I advise you to read the Fay Observer online. In our neighborhood, some people leave their doors unlocked.

Our favorite restaurant is TarPackers (UNC Tar Heels/ NCSU Wolfpack). Great steaks and chicken 'n' dumplings

It's 15 minutes to Fayetteville and 8 to Lumberton (bigger city to the South). My wife and I like to drive to the beach - Wilmington or Myrtle
Beach on a regular basis (it's only a little over an hour).

Last edited by armybrat4ever; 01-21-2009 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: odd font became embedded

Old 01-21-2009, 09:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,679,775 times
It might be a little longer than 30 minutes. It used to take me that long to commute to Pope AFB from Hope Mills. If you like the rural atmosphere it might not be bad. Not as many newer subdivisions down that way, lots of manufactured homes. Out of 16 current MLS listings in St. Pauls half are modular or manufactured. Four more were built before 1960. What type of place were you looking for?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,012 times
Default Thank you all!

Thanks for all your replies. We completed "ANOTHER" house hunting trip last weekend. Spring Lake seemed very dirty. Raeford had just too many houses with single lane roads leading to the base. Fayetteville, ha! In Fayetteville they drive like it's the Grand Prix..every where!

Thanks for the recommendation about Eastover, we'll have to follow up on it. Maybe next weekend?

We did stop back by St Pauls. We didn't track the time because we stopped to eat, but it is about 25 miles from the main control point to exit 31 at St Pauls. The houses between downtown and I-95 seem very nice with large, 'clean' lots. We walked around downtown again and stopped a police officer walking by. We asked the officer about any crime in the area. He said from downtown and westward the crime is extremely low and probably below average. He said the majority of the crime he sees is past the downtown area going east. He also said many of the residents that live between downtown and I-95 have either lived there for years, or moved there to get away from Fayetteville and now commute. He left us with a BIG smile and said 'good luck, homes in that area rarely go for sale'.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,679,775 times
Let me know if you need any more info on what might be avialable. I'll be happy to help.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,895 times
Wow, I can't believe this discussion. I lived in Fayetteville most of my life...and will not live there for my family's sake. It has some great areas, and I KNOW those areas, however most people don't. Anyway, that's why we purchased a very beautiful home in St Pauls. The same home was $75,000 more expensive in Fatetteville. We have shopping, restaurants, and most of the same services available in Fayetteville...however it's mush more clean and the people here are the friendliest in the world! Everyone has a cool story to tell. Jim, a hardware and tool sexperts at DDMclom tells stories of his CIA covert ops days! And awsome are the newly started have city street festivals.

Hey, our friends Dennis and Natalie are trying to sell their home For Sale By Owner. It's a perfect location to walk any where in town. Dennis works at Ft Bragg as a civil servant, and Natalie is a teacher in Cumberland County Schools. Dennis is the one that takes the long runs around the city!!!They's never complained, or said the commute was long. Dennis did say the commute going got him ready for work, coming back the commute was relaxing, he loves it.

You should drive by there, it's a large white two-story house at Duncan Cir, off Old Stage Road, near new fire department and health clinic. Hey, if you buy Dennis' , you'll never have to ever worry about a fire...and you get free food during BBQ cook-offs! I know Dennis spent a fortune on the yard. Everyone in town talks about how well they keeped up on there house. It is always beautiful. I'n not sure why they're moving. Probably the Army sending Dennis somewhere.

This was funn we gotta go!!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 PM

28,941 posts, read 16,778,932 times
welecome USARC to Ft. bragg

I comute everyday from Lumberton, and its an easy ride

St. Pauls and lumberton (where I am located at (its a good place)) are 'decent' areas, although roberson county is one of the poorer counties in NC.

schools are good (not great, but good), shopping is ok (more shopping in fayetteville), and you have Southeastern Regional medical center

good luck on the move

BTW,, what percentage of forcecom/usarc are moving in comparision to those who will not relocate????

Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,875 times
Fayetteville Native...thanks buddy for plastering our names on the board!
Dear Board Members, yes, we live in St Pauls, NC and commute to downtown Fayetteville (my wife) and Ft Bragg (myself). It takes me 30 to 35 minutes to be at my office door. We love St Pauls and our beautiful home, but unfortunately we are selling to relocate for a business opportunity near Raleigh.

Many of our neighbors who are Army civil service commute from St Pauls to Bragg, a few commute from Lumberton to Bragg. Everything is so relaxed and enjoyable here, so much clean family fun. While at the same time we have every convenience we could possible need. Please check out our home at [url=http://www.forsalebyowner.com]For Sale By Owner (FSBO): Sell your Home, House or Condo; Buy Real Estate; Get an MLS Listing[/url] , listing id: 21941839. Yes, we need more pics displayed, and we’re working on it.

Woringclasshero is right Welcome: US Army Reserves Command, Welcome: Army Forces Command

Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 AM

635 posts, read 2,944,772 times
It sounds like St. Pauls may be a good choice, but if you end up looking elsewhere in the general "30 minute commute perimeter", you might also consider Sanford. We have a lot of Ft. Bragg families here, and we have a great small town feel with mid-sized city resources.

Come check us out

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina