Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times

Advertisements

I have been in the Charlotte area for 6 months now, and I certainly noticed that people here generally do not creep into the intersection when waiting to make a left turn at a green traffic light. This is definitely different from other parts of the country where it is customary to move into the middle of the intersection and wait for an opening or wait for the light to turn yellow, then complete your left turn.

Also, when I first moved here I would stop at a red right arrow and wait for the green right arrow while everyone else would go through the right arrow and turn right. I believe in other parts of the country a right red arrow means STOP, do not turn right until you have a green right arrow. However, I have looked this one up, and in North Carolina a right red arrow is just like a red circle, and right on red after stopping is permitted. Sorry to all those folks stuck behind me!

And my final observation, when I am in a left turn lane waiting at a green light to make my left turn, it seems to me that the design of the roads here places the oncoming left turners directly in front of me or even slightly to my left which makes it very difficult for me to see if there is oncoming traffic or not. This may be why local custom is not to creep. It could be that local road designers screwed up. The oncoming left turn lane should be a little to my right to allow better visibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:36 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,100 times
I creep but only at intersections where I know the layout - is the light timed so I can make the turn once the signal changes AND if I do turn will I be able to get into the lane I want or will I be sitting out there blocking traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina