U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:03 PM

73 posts, read 277,392 times

Advertisements

What do I think about Hickory,
Well first of all, I 've lived here all of my life, and I love it. I really like the size of the city, not too big or over populated. I do not like sitting in traffic for twenty minutes at a time, like in the bigger cities. It's alway's nice to visit other places, but I am alway's happy to come home to Hickory. I love the rural country sides that surround the city, but also like the fact that you can be in town in ten or fifteen minutes. I feel we have good hospital's, and lot's of different places to eat. There is usually alway's something going on where you can do family thing's together. The people alway's bond together to help other's in need. I have property on Lake Hickory, that I enjoy very much. I love being only fourty minutes away from the mountain's, and four and a half hour's from the beach. To me Hickory is an all American City.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,534,192 times
Hickory is a very nice area. It's a great alternative to the larger metros. It's only an hour to Charlotte. It's like having the best of both worlds!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:29 AM

57 posts, read 150,789 times
hickory area is the secret of nc. its has much more going for it then many of the larger cities by a long shot. if you are looking for a comfortable family life for your family thats the area. future growth is slower then many other areas and affortable housing . great area to in vest your money in real estate. business is doing well and lowes just build one of there new style stores there they know whats going also along with all the other major players(walmart,best buy,etc).

Old 04-06-2008, 06:58 AM

10 posts, read 46,002 times
Would you like some real advice about Hickory.Stay on the outskirts.The inner city part is truthfully not all that.Donnot live in SW or upper NW because crime their is crazy and gang activity in NW is really bad and the schools are'nt that good eaither.If your looking for family atmosphere I would suggest Houston Mill Road area of Conover or somewhere a little more country.The city is nice during the day but you will find upper city is not safe.If you want a really good kind of city area with good schools Viewmont 127 N is really good.This is the truth.Julie

Old 04-06-2008, 09:24 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,793,008 times
The southwest part of Hickory is the higher crime area, but not the northwest. The northwest is actuallly where the "money" is. There also are very large, nice historic older homes that are close to downtown Hickory, reminds me of Charlotte historic homes. Northern parts of Hickory are mostly residential, which is anything north of downtown.

The crime area is where the public housing is off a street called South Center Street. It is mostly a confined area that is easily avoidable. This is southwest Hickory.

Hickory is divided up by region, with most of the southeast parts of the city almost entirely commercial, the mall, hotels, dining, movies, shopping etc. Northeast Hickory is mainly residential but a mix of retail and dining. Northwest is mostly residential.

Hwy 127 runs north/south through Hickory and splits the city east and west. There are several businesses located directly off this highway. Its a rather nice area too.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlowe308 View Post
Would you like some real advice about Hickory.Stay on the outskirts.The inner city part is truthfully not all that.Donnot live in SW or upper NW because crime their is crazy and gang activity in NW is really bad and the schools are'nt that good eaither.If your looking for family atmosphere I would suggest Houston Mill Road area of Conover or somewhere a little more country.The city is nice during the day but you will find upper city is not safe.If you want a really good kind of city area with good schools Viewmont 127 N is really good.This is the truth.Julie
Can't fathom what you are saying about NW Hickory, wh/ is a very desirable area of Hickory/Catawba County, especially property that is on/near the Lake. I think you are mixed up b/c you say stay away from the NW - then mention Viewmont - wh/ IS the NW area of the city.

Hickory lake living is verrrrry nice.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:14 AM

10 posts, read 46,002 times
Default Viewmont is not NW Hickoryits NE Smarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Can't fathom what you are saying about NW Hickory, wh/ is a very desirable area of Hickory/Catawba County, especially property that is on/near the Lake. I think you are mixed up b/c you say stay away from the NW - then mention Viewmont - wh/ IS the NW area of the city.

Hickory lake living is verrrrry nice.
OK Viewmont is NE Hickory!I know i lived in Viewmont.I like Viewmont and would live there and anyone who lives on the lake don't live at Hilltop.Woodland Apartments,move there and then u tell me nw is good.An old lady was raped less than 1 mile from me.julie

Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM

31 posts, read 177,863 times
woodland and hilltop are NOT that bad. It used to be SO much worse. I wouldnt neccesarily call them bad areas, as ive lived around NW/SW Hickory , before moving to the NE/St.Stephens area. They are however less desirable, alot of that area is income based, which theres nothing wrong with that. lol my sister lived in hilltop just last year, and i frequently stayed the night. Its not what it used to be. I did really like a neighborhood called "kenworth". Older homes, somewhat near the bad areas of the valley, but more safe. If your wealthy the lake is ok, but ive always loved longview, kenworth, and the area around the old grandview middle... the homes around that area are pretty affordable.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 532 times
It is now 2020.i would be interested to read comments about the Longview areas safety and if ppl feel safe in the community.? hilltop to be specific.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:03 PM

775 posts, read 350,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dula09 View Post
It is now 2020.i would be interested to read comments about the Longview areas safety and if ppl feel safe in the community.? hilltop to be specific.
You should probably start a new thread on the western NC board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina