Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 PM

124 posts, read 168,368 times

Advertisements

missy just move to Dilworth or Uptown Charlotte, even SouthPark-- and you won't have a problem. The vast majority of people in these areas are transplants and would not be so rude as to ask you about something as personal as church. I know some people ask about helping to find a church because they think it is being friendly, but really it is rude, as it can put people in a weird position if they are not religious. Then they have to explain their spirituality. Seriously, I have rarely had this happen to me in Charlotte, though Missy. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 03:05 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,808 times
I can assure you that there are some areas of Charlotte that you could move and not have to worry about people inviting you to church. But frankly, I'd rather someone knock on my front door and invite me to church than break in my bedroom window and rob me.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:02 PM

219 posts, read 853,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyp32 View Post
Can anyone describe the culture in NC (specifically the Charlotte area).

I've read a lot of posts and it seems like a very religious area. This is fine by me but as someone that is not regilous at all I was wondering if it is something that is "forced" by the culture.
Missy,
Judy and I have been taking our vacation to NC/SC for the past ten years. I have been going down to golf for an additional 5yrs.
I just can't enough about how we have been treated. The first thing a local resident asks is "Where are y'all from?" Next question? "When are y'all gonna move down here"? We'd love to have you.
AND THEY MEAN IT.
The only problem I have is that after about three days into vacation my wife tells me I sound more like a native than they do. Don't care cause since I first visited the south (eh 45yrs ago) I fell in love with that accent.
NC/SC does have a TON of churches but never once was anything religious forced on us and we are devout R/C.
IMO the south is real big on morals but I don't think anybody would be against that.
We vacation on the NC/SC border so I can't tell you a thing about Charlotte/Raleigh/Durham etc. I can't imagine it is any diff.
Denny
Woodlynne/Hopefully NC in three months

Old 03-13-2007, 04:06 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Back to the topic of "culture" of an area, the southern tradition includes "church families". They stick together, they welcome newcomers into their congregations, and they are the first to help you out if the time comes. That is true for employment, illness, and other neighborly causes. When they ask if "... you've found a church yet", they are merely being friendly in their way and showing manners, trying to draw you in to their family. You can't get more welcoming than that. Nothing to be offended about, consider it friendliness.

They are for the most part the givers, not the takers. Just remember to give back.
Very well said, AA!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 05:57 PM

124 posts, read 168,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
I can assure you that there are some areas of Charlotte that you could move and not have to worry about people inviting you to church. But frankly, I'd rather someone knock on my front door and invite me to church than break in my bedroom window and rob me.
haha, that makes no sense to me, Mr. Ballantyne
I live in Lake Norman, have lived in Ballantyne, Dilworth, SouthPark, Highland Creek....and no one bothers me about church because they are all transplants, too, and it is not appropriate in other areas from which we come to ask about religion-- so thankfully I have not had to choose one (knocking on the door to ask me to church) over the other (um, being robbed )

Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
If someone asks you if you've joined a church yet or are looking for one, please don't take offense! They are trying to be polite and friendly. Yes, they may invite you to their church. All you have to do is say, "I'm going to be looking around for a while" or something noncommittal. Frankly, they may even asked if you have been saved. Don't freak! Just say, "I know the Lord." You don't have to go into detail or even say which Lord. Church is important to most Southerners. Keep an open mind.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:12 PM

251 posts, read 1,143,012 times
"Back to the topic of "culture" of an area, the southern tradition includes "church families". They stick together, they welcome newcomers into their congregations, and they are the first to help you out if the time comes. That is true for employment, illness, and other neighborly causes. When they ask if "... you've found a church yet", they are merely being friendly in their way and showing manners, trying to draw you in to their family. You can't get more welcoming than that. Nothing to be offended about, consider it friendliness.

They are for the most part the givers, not the takers. Just remember to give back."

Beautifully said, Apple Annie. We have an atheist friend we've eaten out with before and he was once good friends with Madeline Murray O'Hair. We haven't verbally shared our faith with him, but he knows we're Christians and he senses our caring for him as a human being. That says a lot to him. He said something interesting once: He said that if he ever had trouble, he'd want Christians around him because he knows they would help.

That's how it is here in North Carolina.

Raleigh Rob, you have a PM from me.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:48 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Charlotte has always proclaimed that newscomers will likely be asked which church they attend, though its most likely just a friendly way to start a conversation. Apparently however, church and related activities are a popular pastime with Charlotte residents.

My definition of "Christian" is an adjective, which describes good, honest, people that help others, and however they worship and to what degree is their business.

But I've found in my 38 years that the people running around identifying themselves as Christians on a daily basis to others in everyday conversation, are either, (1) using the term to associate themselves with others with similar
values and validate their own opinions .(2) resorting to this as a self-label hoping it will somehow improve their miserable life which is because are actually horrible people.

When I was 25 and livng in Atlanta, I was moving and placed an ad in the paper to sell a very nice 1yr old queen mattress set. A lady responded enthusiastically and came to look at the mattress and said that wanted it. I had to do something with the mattress because I was moving across country, so I rented a U-haul truck and drove 30 minutes southeast of Atlanta to deliver the mattress to her. Her house and neighborhood were quite nice and more upscale than average. Inside she had every TV in the house blaring the Trinity Broadcasting Network, and using the term "Christian" in every sentence. Then she informs that she doesn't money at the moment, and writes an IOU on a piece of paper for 2 or 3 bucks or whatever. I wasn't happy especially I rented a truck and all, but I gave here the benefit of the doubt. 6 months later, nothing. I called her from Calif. and of course she "lost" my address, and even lied and said she had called my Dad in NC looking for my address. She promised she'd send me the money immediately but never did. Can you imagine a 45 yr old "Christian"woman with a 250k house doing this to a 25yr old who used hs own money to deliver the mattress right to her home?

Last edited by architect77; 03-14-2007 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,737 times
Sounds like you met up with a con artist; and they come in all shapes, sizes, colors and are found everywhere. There is no state that has a monoply on con artists.

If it had been possible at the time, the bedding could have been donated to a children's shelter or similar charity; and you would have come away feeling good.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:00 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
If someone asks you if you've joined a church yet or are looking for one, please don't take offense! They are trying to be polite and friendly. Yes, they may invite you to their church. All you have to do is say, "I'm going to be looking around for a while" or something noncommittal. Frankly, they may even asked if you have been saved. Don't freak! Just say, "I know the Lord." You don't have to go into detail or even say which Lord. Church is important to most Southerners. Keep an open mind.
I was asked this while having my nails done today. It was very hard not to find it offensive, but I remained calm, nicely said that where I am from that is a personal question right up there with asking how much money you make and how much you weigh and changed the subject to the great weather we were having today and when the pollen was going to start getting bad.

I do like this salon, but darn it all....it shouldn't matter what religion I am when I am paying good money for a service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina