Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times

Advertisements

My sister is in the process of moving a couple towns over in ny, and is running a little behind in closing on her new house, eventhough they already closed on their old one. So, believe it or not.... they are paying rent for the extra month they have to live in their old house to the new owners. Is this common? It's something I've never heard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
wow it's late. I couldn't get to sleep so I got back on the computer.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:00 PM

336 posts, read 513,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb
I have not yet heard of one person close to me be able to move into their new place without the sellers extending their stay and dragging their feet. The longerst I have heard is 2 weeks, but most seem to try to stay a few days late. I do believe you are legally entitled to remove their property, but is probably more trouble than it is worth or at least that is what the seller is hoping you think! People can be so rude and all you can hope for is they get to experience the same thing at their new place!!!
That is crazy. I did not know it was a problem for so many people. The people that bought our last house came from Connecticut and were ready to pull their moving truck in the driveway as soon as I drove ours away. All about 30 minutes after closing. I will have my stuff in a truck and ready to go to NC as soon as our next closing is over on the July 7th.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:20 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.
Terrible sellers. Couldn't you have had them removed? It is not like they didn't have notice or know what day they needed to move. Last time we sold, I had the moving truck packed and sitting in the driveway ready to drive away as soon as closing was over.
I really don't know how to answer that. And I suppose that I could have done as you suggested and been a real witch about it. But they had two children and one of them was really small at the time and I was trying to be as nice as I could about the situation. It was bad planning on their part. They were building another house and I don't think they thought they would sell the one they were in before the other one was finished and they did. As it was we gave them six weeks from the time we paid the deposit until we closed. Another reason I tried to be nice about it was that we caught the house in between realtors. The contract had run out on the first realtor and they had not signed with the second on the day we paid the deposit. As a result the house was originally on the market for $67,500.00 in 1992. They wanted $63,500.00 when the contract ran out and it still hadn't sold. We paid only $60,500.00 and that was for an 8 year old brick ranch on .9 acre of land. The reason they wanted out was because the property had just been annexed into the city limits thereby having to pay both city and county taxes. But the city taxes aren't that much. They are something like $365.00 a year and have been that since we have been here since 1992. All of it together, insurance and both taxes run less than $1700.00 a year. Which isn't that bad I didn't think. Oh I forgot to add here that Donnie and Pam, aka neighbors from hell, did the same thing to Robert. Being Robert he took a slightly different approach. He made them "rent" the place for everyday it took them to get out. And it was legal so I would assume that he could have done the other and basically had them throw off the property. As it was the day he was suppose to move in after their antics, he is sitting in his driveway and on our side of the road with his moving "crew". His crew eventually had to help them get out and he talked like they fought like cats and dogs that morning. I was on my side of the street thanking God they were getting out.

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 06-21-2006 at 04:45 AM..

Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 AM

107 posts, read 354,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb
I have not yet heard of one person close to me be able to move into their new place without the sellers extending their stay and dragging their feet. The longerst I have heard is 2 weeks, but most seem to try to stay a few days late. I do believe you are legally entitled to remove their property, but is probably more trouble than it is worth or at least that is what the seller is hoping you think! People can be so rude and all you can hope for is they get to experience the same thing at their new place!!!
I am in New York, and we get 7 days after the closing to remove ourselves, but in order to stay even the 7 days, we would have to put money in Escrow to do that and in the event that we do drag our feet, money is taken out daily for each day we do that. Since I am selling my house as is, I will not take the chance of staying and putting my money in Escrow so are supposed to be out hte same day. Our buyers although did give us permission to stay the next day until we take our journey to North carolina. So I guess it is a good incentive for people not to drag our feet and probably helps a bit on the problems that I have read on this forum.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:45 AM

107 posts, read 354,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
My sister is in the process of moving a couple towns over in ny, and is running a little behind in closing on her new house, eventhough they already closed on their old one. So, believe it or not.... they are paying rent for the extra month they have to live in their old house to the new owners. Is this common? It's something I've never heard of.
Yes, it happens on occassion. Thank god our closing is running on schedule but it is scary to hear the horror stories, that is for sure and NK0171 you know I am praying for you !

Old 06-21-2006, 07:51 AM

128 posts, read 641,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
Yes, it happens on occassion. Thank god our closing is running on schedule but it is scary to hear the horror stories, that is for sure and NK0171 you know I am praying for you !
Yes...i know....thanks a bunch!

Old 06-21-2006, 08:29 AM

Oh this happy note as well let me add here that after we moved in, that the former family kept coming back and "asking" for things that they had left behind. At first it wasn't that big of a problem. Then one day I came out of the bedroom to find the former husband standing in my living room. Now mind you where I live is a little informal and all but this totally blew me away. I left the door open but when is that an invitation to just walk in and start looking around where you moved from about 4 weeks before. And I really didn't know these people either. I knew the man's father but that was it. Well, this time I turned in to a complete spelling casting, cauldron burning, broom stick riding witch. I asked him what the hell was he doing in the house? His answer to that was something to the effect that it still felt like home. Is this creepy or not? He proceeded then to want the dog house they had left behind over a month before and I finally just said forget it that they had not only the six weeks from February 22nd to April 1st when we closed but the actual April 9that we finally got the key from them so we could move in. Here is was June something and they were still annoying the every loving you know what out of me. I finally just told him that if he had this much problem moving from here that perhaps he could just buy the place back from us for $70,000.00, mind you we only paid $60,500.00 for it about 5 weeks prior to that. After that I think I made my point. But their 8 year old daughter had spilled nail polish on the carpet in her room during the move and his wife had the nerve to tell me that had I not "rushed" her out of the house, she could have filed the insurance and had the carpet replaced. Yeah right. The carpet was very light and needed replacing anyway which we did. After I said something to her that if I repeated here I would be banned I didn't have anymore problems with them. But Robert had some issues with his old residents as well. I don't recall what they all where but something to the effect that they didn't give him all the keys to the house and he eventually had the locks changed. I just wonder what makes people like this? I mean even for down here this is just a little out there.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan

Robert did the rent thing and man did he eat them up with it too. He charged them something like $50.00 a day until they got their butts out of there too. But apparently it is legal. I didn't know what was and wasn't legal at the time and we were clearly taken advantage of in the sense that I tried to make things easy for everyone involved. But we had to get out. Chris' brother was moving in our old place and he had already made the first payment on it before we got the sellers on their toes and out of the way.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:48 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Yes it is. My sister-in-law sold her house and was having a new house built. There was a delay with her closing on the new house so when she closed on her old house, she had to pay $75/day for every day she stayed in the home after closing. If it's not stated in the contract, I believe it's 24 hours after closing to get out of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina