Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

What taxes might we find once we move into NC? We looked on the DMV site and there is a "property tax" for registered autos in each county?

Is there an annual inspection of cars for mechanical? or is it just emissions?

Just wanting to be prepared to make this move and there are so many places we can look and not that much time to think of every possibility..

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What taxes might we find once we move into NC? We looked on the DMV site and there is a "property tax" for registered autos in each county?

Is there an annual inspection of cars for mechanical? or is it just emissions?

Just wanting to be prepared to make this move and there are so many places we can look and not that much time to think of every possibility..

THANKS
There's an inspection and most counties also require emissions. This all on the DMV site. there's 2 sites for NC - one for registration and one for licenses. Don't forget a new license!

The personal property tax isn't just on cars. It's also on boats, atvs, motorcycles, watercraft, etc.

What other taxes are you wondering about? There's income taxes. there's property taxes if you own a house. These all vary.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:25 PM

Wondering about those taxes beside the everyday obvious ones like income tax and residential tax...those like the tax on owning vehicles...here in Michigan there is property tax on real estate, sales tax on purchases like cars, license plate fees based on vehicle value.

Just wanted to know about those "unusual" taxes--then again if North Carolinians are paying them--I suppose they aren't unusual to the natives.. huh?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,159 times
I can tell you as a life long native of NC, that as long as people from other states continue to move here, taxes will continue to go up, and state officials are breaking their necks to annex EVERY area possible to squeeze more taxes out of us. Honestly, if you are looking into moving some place where you will be paying less taxes, I would NOT come here. I have seen nothing but increases in the costs of buying a home and taxes.. no offense, but just telling it like it is. It blows to have a lifelong dream of owning a home, and knowing that it is a luxury that only people who sell their homes up north and move here and buy one more cheaply here can afford. Just food for thought..

Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagurl67 View Post
I can tell you as a life long native of NC, that as long as people from other states continue to move here, taxes will continue to go up, and state officials are breaking their necks to annex EVERY area possible to squeeze more taxes out of us. Honestly, if you are looking into moving some place where you will be paying less taxes, I would NOT come here. I have seen nothing but increases in the costs of buying a home and taxes.. no offense, but just telling it like it is. It blows to have a lifelong dream of owning a home, and knowing that it is a luxury that only people who sell their homes up north and move here and buy one more cheaply here can afford. Just food for thought..

OUCH....

And all my wife an I wanted was 40 acres and a mule...

Seriously, I do not think if we come there and buy a $75,000 house the economy of NC will wither up and die...

After deep religious thought, my wife and I just gotta come down there just to increase the monetary flow..

Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
This may be what you're looking for NC Department of Revenue - Tax Information

The Tax Foundation recently ranked NC''s State and Local Tax Burden #20 highest in the country. Michigan was #27.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:40 AM

Smile Thank you

THANK YOU...there was just so many places to look and trying to find it all was just over whelming. This is where we needed to look. It is not necessarily the amount (unless it is outrageous) as what is taxed / assessed besides sales and real estate. Moving has always been stressed, especially when going to another state. Some states, like Wisconsin were very easy, others like New Hampshire were a royal pain getting everything legal.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM

Thumbs up Cheaper to stay in NC?

Talked with my niece, who lives in Raleigh (10 years) and she said she could not afford to move BACK to Michigan because of the exchange / COL differences. So...I suppose that equates to being a better value in NC than being here...all things being equal...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
In case you didn't find it, it's 3% on the value of the car, which isn't blue book but whatever NC deems it worth. So a $10k car would be $300, a $20k car would be $600, etc. etc.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:20 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
I think it depends on the person - where you live (this is a big state) and what your job is. One thing newcomers have to consider is that salaries can be lower here too. So that can mean less money coming in. Less money to save means one can't afford to move back to a place with a higher col.

As with other places, COL has been increasing and will probably continue to do so. Especially when people move from places with a higher COL. If you are used to paying $xyz then almost anything less will seem like a dream. But natives or long time residents may consider the same number to be quite high. I'm not saying that to blast anyone, just giving another perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina