U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 64,236 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know what the average utility costs are for the following...hopefully, someone can help me out here....

I'm looking at monthly costs for a one bedroom apartment (700-850 square feet)...

electric
gas
cable tv (basic)
water (if not included with rent)
internet (DSL/broadband)

also...
car tax/registration, etc. (1998 VW Jetta)

this will really help me with budgeting!
thanks,
elizabeth
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 AM

787 posts, read 3,480,694 times
Okay, I am in Greene County in the Eastern part of the state.

We are on Progress Engergy for the electricity. That runs between a low of $117.00 a month in the winter to a high of about $236.00 for the hottest months of July and August. Our last bill was $144.00

The telephone is with Embarq, formerly Sprint. We don't carry a toll service but we have the calling features and the last bill I have is $58.00

We use Direct Satellite service that has about everything but playboy and the Latin stations. That runs around $120.00 a month.

DSL and broadband you have a few choices. The phone company has one option that is about $60.00 a month as do the cable company. Most cable around here is at least $60.00 a month.

I don't have natural gas, we are total electric in a 1700 square foot brick ranch that was built in 1984.

Our water, garbage pick up and sewage is all with the Town of Snow Hill and runs $32.00 a month for the first 4000 gallons of water (there is just the 2 of us normally). After that it rises $14.00 for each 1000 gallons of consumption.

And the car registration will be at least $28.00 for the tag that goes on the back of the car. About three months later you will get a property tax bill for the registered vehicle that is based on the value of the car. I can't begin to tell you what that would be for what you have. I have a 2000 Explorer and seems like it was something like $70.00 but I would have to ask Chris to be sure about that.

Smaller towns like The Town of Hookerton around here do their own utilties and Teri is continously complaining about her bill. Her water, electricity, garbage pick up and sewage is all on one bill and I have known it to be as high as $400.00 during the summer months. She is registered here. When she come over I will ask her again about that.

You can get DishNetWork and Direct TV with just the basics and it runs about $49.00 a month if you only have one receiver. Add $5.00 a month for each additional receiver which is pretty much what we have been paying and we have had both of the providers as well as cable when we first moved here.

Maybe this will give you some idea about how much things are. Just remember I am in a very rural area. But there seems to be a prevailing thing that if you are on the City of or Town of anywhere the rates for electricity and water are higher. In the eastern part of North Carolina we have Progress Engergy that was formerly CPL, and Pitt and Greene Electric. There isn't a lot of difference in their rates. But these smaller towns that buy from Progress Engergy can eat you alive in rates.

Oh my daughter had a one bedroom apartment in Raleigh that was total electric and her electric bill ran around the $65.00-$70.00 range.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:52 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,796,784 times
Putting electric/gas aside - your telephone and cable costs are very similar to those even here on Long Island...we don't pay for sewers, etc separately, that is paid with our town taxes...we the increase of energy costs it appers no matter where you are they are high and going up.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:07 AM

693 posts, read 2,675,348 times
I'm wondering how reliable is the electricity service, if there are too many power outages etc..

Old 06-21-2006, 09:10 AM

76 posts, read 444,440 times
Our water bill always seems high. It was $125 last month. Does that sound crazy to anyone else? I called the company and they said that was just above average for a house of 5. We were used to water being about $40 a month!

Old 06-21-2006, 09:14 AM

Well, we lost power for about 40 minutes last night as a matter of fact. I have a feeling someone hit the pole that the transformer was on because I was told that people that had cable lost it as well. We do pretty well until we get hit with a hurricane. We even managed to keep power during Isabelle in 2003 which was a Cat. 1 hurricane. After that, loss of power is about a certainity. And with a major hurricane power around here can be out for days. The longest we have been without was about 24 hours during Fran and Floyd. But we are in the city limits and run off the same transformer as the town does. And it is weird because people across the road from us are in the county. There is nothing like dirty looks when you have power and they don't. LOL
But we bought a generator last year because now I have to have access to electricity to run my breathing machine neublizer. So if you have special needs I strongly suggest that you take the proper precautious. And don't wait until there is a story brewing either. You couldn't find a generator within a 100 miles once the possiblity of of a land falling hurricane hits the news. Same is true with batteries for flashlights and radios. Plan early. Every June I go ahead and buy the lamp oil, batteries, and whatever else I know we might need because I would rather be beat nearly to death than to face Food Lion and the rush there for essentials 36 hours before a hurricane is due to hit.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindync
Our water bill always seems high. It was $125 last month. Does that sound crazy to anyone else? I called the company and they said that was just above average for a house of 5. We were used to water being about $40 a month!

Do you have a pool or anything else that might run it up? A lot of people complained to high heaven when the rates went up a couple of years ago and they had horror stories of high water bills. Strangely ours went down. We have had one that was as high as $70.00 in the 14 years that we have been here but that was when I had Sharon, Kristopher, Brianna, Kaylee and about every other kid in and out of the house I could find. Washing and bathing is what ate it up like that. But while $125.00 seems high to me there is just the two of us. We are paying $32.00 for two people and you $125.00 for 5 people. Ours is about $16.00 per person while yours is $25.00 per person so to speak. And you know kids use more water than adults do. But to be sure you might want to check for a leak. Once it goes through that meter, it is all yours.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:20 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,731,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindync

Our water here is really high and we see maybe $65 a month. Where we came from before, it was 1/2 that. Yes, that sounds high to me. We also have 5 people here.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:22 AM

[quote=Bethanytedder]Do you have a pool or anything else that might run it up? QUOTE]

No pool. We have an irrigation system but we aren't using it. I think there is a leak on one of the heads though. We have the system off but there is still water in the yard by that head. Think it could make that much difference?

Old 06-21-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Our water here is really high and we see maybe $65 a month. Where we came from before, it was 1/2 that. Yes, that sounds high to me. We also have 5 people here.
Are you in Union County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina