Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 PM

20 posts, read 53,701 times

Advertisements

I've debating on whether I would like Havelock better than Yuma?? My husband has a chance to transfer. I loved living in Phoenix and know that Havelock is very small, but relatively close to Raleigh. What are the pros/cons of living in North Carolina compared to Arizona? I'm hoping some people that have moved here have also lived in AZ. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 53,862 times
I would say DO NOT got to NC. It is nothing like AZ or any place on the west coast. People may seem very nice but they never ever are excepting of 'outsiders'. A lot of racism there -- against ANY race. Also very sexist. Very pretty there but very sad it is so backwards. I spent 8 months there.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:40 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,073,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 A Blue Ocean View Post
I would say DO NOT got to NC. It is nothing like AZ or any place on the west coast. People may seem very nice but they never ever are excepting of 'outsiders'. A lot of racism there -- against ANY race. Also very sexist. Very pretty there but very sad it is so backwards. I spent 8 months there.
Yes, and all white people in NC have the stars & bars license tag on the front of the car...give me a break.

I am from NC and have lived most of my life here. I did, however, live in Flagstaff for a while and also spent a lot of time in the Colorado River region north of Yuma. From my observations, there is less racism in Raleigh & Durham than there was in Flagstaff and other parts of AZ towards the American Indians. Sure, there are pockets of racism here and throughout NC, just as there are everywhere in the world...did you see the movie Crash??? So, now on to a real answer for you.

Outside of both being hot in the summer, Yuma & Havelock couldn't be more different. Havelock has TONS of trees, has water all around and is only a short drive to some outstanding beaches. The heat is obviously much different due to high humidity in Havelock, and winters will be a good bit cooler than you're accustomed to in Yuma....but almost no snow at all. I think you'll find a lot more recreation opportunities around Havelock than you have around Yuma, and many more options for destinations within an hour or two. The Raleigh area is much smaller than Phoenix, however you'll find most of the same big-city amenities you've had access to in the Valley of the Sun.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:27 PM

20 posts, read 53,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Yes, and all white people in NC have the stars & bars license tag on the front of the car...give me a break.

I am from NC and have lived most of my life here. I did, however, live in Flagstaff for a while and also spent a lot of time in the Colorado River region north of Yuma. From my observations, there is less racism in Raleigh & Durham than there was in Flagstaff and other parts of AZ towards the American Indians. Sure, there are pockets of racism here and throughout NC, just as there are everywhere in the world...did you see the movie Crash??? So, now on to a real answer for you.

Outside of both being hot in the summer, Yuma & Havelock couldn't be more different. Havelock has TONS of trees, has water all around and is only a short drive to some outstanding beaches. The heat is obviously much different due to high humidity in Havelock, and winters will be a good bit cooler than you're accustomed to in Yuma....but almost no snow at all. I think you'll find a lot more recreation opportunities around Havelock than you have around Yuma, and many more options for destinations within an hour or two. The Raleigh area is much smaller than Phoenix, however you'll find most of the same big-city amenities you've had access to in the Valley of the Sun.
Thank you for the info! I'm accustomed to hiking and having trails to rollerblade/bike on. Do they have a lot of that in the Havelock area or within a half hour or so?

How big is Raleigh/Durham? Where do you suggest moving if I'm looking for jobs in the tourism field (i.e. hotels and convention and visitors bureaus)? I'm looking to only commute about a half hour if possible.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:03 PM

23 posts, read 35,795 times
NC is a bit backwards have to admit, if you were raised on the west coast you will never ever in a million years figure it out....people are friendly but will smile as they drive off, not much in the way of offering assistance but they will gladly take it with a southern smile.....very very strange place....not very accepting of outsiders unless you have a job lined up ie school, etc....other wise u will be banging your head against a wall...literally....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina