Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2006, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 17,941 times

Advertisements

my father has taken a job which will mean us relocating to NC.
reloaction is something were familiar with. 5 years ago he was tranfered and we relocated from england to connecticut...and now the time has come to do so again to NC. the only problem being, all we know of NC is what wever been told, mostly about southern hospitality and lower cost of living (anyweheres lower than where were living now, as we live in fairfeild county)

so were hoping you can all give us a good idea about areas to look into. both my parents work full time so its my job to find out all i can.
heres the must have list:

MUST be under 2 1/2 hours from an airport servicing the south east. doesnt nesicarily have to be a major airport so long as it goes to most areas in the south east. he'll also have to take occasional trips up to Connecticut. so wed need ot be no more than 2 1/2 (preferbly closer to 2 and under) from Raleigh/duram airport. this is a must as his job is consulting for a large computer firm and he will be flying every week.

MUST be near the ocean. my father has a small 28 ft ocean going sailboat (he refuses to put her on a lake) which he will be sailing down from CT when we relocate, he wants to be no more than 30 minutes from his boat, with the closer to the water the better.

good highschool: my youngest sister is 13 and will be starting highschool this summer (im hoping to relocate early as to get her started in her new highschool with her class)
shes currently in a class size of 30, and would prefer an average class size of less than 30. a highchool with low-none drug or violence issues is a must. (the middleschool shes in now strangley has many of these problems and the highest in the county) and both 4H and a good theater choir program is a plus.

in a community there looking for a larger town but with a very small town feel. warm and welcoming preferably somewhere with summer programs like park concerts. somewhere with the feel of a small town community but with the pluses of large local groceries, home improvemnt stores and walmart ect. or a small town within a short good driving distance of a larger city.

plenty of full and part time employment opportunity is definatly a plus.

my family will be looking for a 4 bedroom home of at least 2000 sqft on at least 1/4 of an acre with a budget of 275,000 tops.

i will soon be looking to move out on my own probably staying within the same area as my parents for a few years and will be lookign for something small and cheap. Im a certifeid animal behaviourist and breed chihuahuas so a dog frinedly town is very important to me

we've lately been led to look into beaufort county, in particular washington and bath/belhaven, but also chocowinty and aroura, and would love to know if anyone knows these areas well or enough to give us some info on if you think this area would work well for us...if not where woudl you suggest...

remember airport and ocean are the big must haves.

thankyou in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2006, 02:37 PM

9 posts, read 34,016 times
Oriental is known for sailboating and is a great area! Its pretty close to New Bern, try that too

Old 02-08-2006, 02:58 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,912,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie
Oriental is known for sailboating and is a great area! Its pretty close to New Bern, try that too
I'm in the Western part of the state but I'd have to agree with you. A little village of just 875 people, but over 2,700 boats!

[moderator cut because of advertising]

Last edited by Marka; 02-09-2006 at 01:47 AM..

Old 02-08-2006, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 17,941 times
very pretty but i think too small for what were looking for...

dad seems even more set on washington in Beaufort county, anyone have any experience or insite about this area.

also im going to be looking to move out on my own sometime in the neer future, im hoping to eventually open a small petshop or work in the animal care/control feild. id like to stay fairly close to my family (since its the only family i have here in the US) i am a big fan of piratical history and ghost stories and heard Bath woudl be wonderfull but i worry a small town like bth might be too small, however greenvill would be too big for me. im wondering if washington would be right for me aswell as my family, but would be interested ina nything between the palmico river and greenvill area. (id like somewhere i could get a small house with plenty of land (at least 1/2 acre)

any insite on that general area. and suggestions for towns and neighbourhoods in that area...

Old 02-12-2006, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 14,661 times
i live in morehead city NC. We are on the center of the east coast of NC.

New bern will fit your criteria easially.
1.75 hr from raleigh, on the neuse river (lots of sailboats). Good schools, good airport, good shopping. The problem I see id your housing requirements.

Here a 2Ksqf house is 300K plus, new bern has some nice suburbs that you could fit into, but don't get your hopes up of buying ON the water...minimum 1/2 mil to get waterfront.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 17,708 times
I don't know if New Bern is that close to the Ocean. Did you check out Perquimans County - Edenton or Albemarle Plantation in Hertford - you are going to be about an hour and a half south of Norfolk, Va. which has an airport and there should also be one in Virginia Beach.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:07 PM

212 posts, read 1,060,762 times
Your Pop has a good pick there with Little Washington. It's on the Pamlico river which lets out into the sounds, then the Outer Banks, then the open ocean. Not 30 minutes from the beach but on the water with river beaches. Also close to Pitt Memorial Hospital in Greenville, very good hospital. Don't dismiss Greenville as too large (LOL!) trust me it's not. Just has alot of college students at East Carolina University. Greenville has an airport with commercial charter services.

I will probably be relocating to the New Bern/ Havelock area myself next winter. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:18 PM

787 posts, read 3,573,061 times
I would suggest Greenville, New Bern, Aurora, Oriental, maybe Kinston depending on what you are looking for in employment. Greenville is in Pitt County, New Bern is in Craven County, I am not too sure what county Aurora and Oriental are in but Kinston is in Lenoir County. They are all about in the middle of the state on the coast. And none of them are more than about 100 miles from the coast with Greenville being the furtherest from the coast, well from Morehead City that is. If you go to the Pamlico Sound region, Greenville is probably the closest to that area.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,742 times
You sound like me! Try looking at Arlington Place in Minnesott beach. Smack dab between oriental and new bern. Thats where we are headed!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:53 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,218,462 times
Might want to get a mod to post this in the Coastal NC section.

But it sounds like Washington to me, if the water criteria is ok. You're close to Greenville, but still in a small town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina