U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2006, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 64,106 times

Advertisements

If there are any fellow social workers out there, please chime in!

I have a Master's degree in social work...6+ years of experience in social work administration (the field I would like to stay in)...and about 1 year of experience in the medical social work setting (hematology/oncology).

any leads to social work job boards and/or potential employers would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
elizabeth
Rate this post positively

Old 06-21-2006, 09:48 AM

787 posts, read 3,454,848 times
Boy I nearly flipped out last week when the paper came out. There was an entry level social worker position down here in the boondocks open at the magnificant pay of $16,000.00 a year. Stay out of the boonies.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:49 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,119,054 times
I'm sure state government has some openings like that.
check online.
www.osp.state.nc.us/jobs

Old 11-05-2007, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 19,953 times
Look at indeed.com and the NASW of NC for jobs. I am looking at relocating to raleigh/durham or charolette and saw several jobs open on those sights. I am also a social worker MSW so send me any leads you find as well.
thnks

Old 11-07-2007, 03:27 PM

19 posts, read 81,952 times
Default Lead on Social Work Jobs

Look at this site, they will email you job postings that meet your needs/qualifications. www.[URL (broken link)="http://www.socialservice.com"]SocialService.Com[/url]

Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 12,641 times
Default Social Work jobs

Hi. I am looking to relocate to the Durham/Raleigh area and I am looking for employment in the social work field. I have experience working in addictions but am looking to expand my horizons and branch out into other fields. I have a MSW. If anyone can assist me or know of any leads please let me know.

Thank you

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 PM

23 posts, read 76,013 times
With your education and experience you will be just fine!! Go to The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina and do a job search for any county you want to look in. The state website is okay but this is your best bet. What do you want to do? Hospital,,,then look at Pitt Memorial in Greenville, NC as they always how jobs available for discharge planning and so forth. DSS...plenty of supervisory jobs available or lineworkers....You can negotiate your salary in most cases. Also, go to each county government page and job search there as they tend to post quicker. You may also want to look at USAJOBS. Good luck...I've been doing CPS for seven years in NC so if you need any further help just post!!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:22 PM

8 posts, read 46,845 times
Hi,
I am also looking to locate to the Raleigh Durham area. I have a Master of Sciene in Guidance and Counseling. I am a Therapist now. However, I am looking to move into area like colleges, youth center, etc. positions. I am not licensed. (LPC in my field in future possibly not now) Are there any jobs in the area for me?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 10,176 times
Hello,I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker currently residing in Florida. I have seven years of experience in the medical Social Work field, and one and a half years of clinical experience. I am also a doctoral student in Counseling Psychology and am seeking employment opportunities in either Fayetteville, Raleigh, Durham, or Cary area of North Carolina.If there is anyone with information regarding employment opportunities in any of these geographic areas, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.Thank you.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:13 AM

332 posts, read 1,375,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedsix View Post
Hello,I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker currently residing in Florida. I have seven years of experience in the medical Social Work field, and one and a half years of clinical experience. I am also a doctoral student in Counseling Psychology and am seeking employment opportunities in either Fayetteville, Raleigh, Durham, or Cary area of North Carolina.If there is anyone with information regarding employment opportunities in any of these geographic areas, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.Thank you.
Mental health in NC is pretty craptastical over the last several years. We went privatized and as such, all of the experienced public servants ran to higher paying private positions and were happy... until the private companies got greedy, cheated, got audited and shut down... leaving LCSW's with tons of experience high and dry and without employment.

Of course, not everyone... but some... and we are still recovering from that situation.

That being said... I just saw a Medical social work job in Raleigh this week on Craigslist. Clinical work might be easier for you to obtain, even with only 18 mths experience, simply because you have a FL LCSW... does your state have comity with NC? I know one gal who moved here with 20 years of clinical experience as an LICSW... and she had to take a job paying 32k a year doing a job I did before I finished grad school until she got her NC license straight...

These are questions to get answered now... start sending out resumes... see what sort of response you get...

The most easily employable thing here now is community support and intensive in home. Licensed clinicians lead the teams.. also, of course, do some outpatient and assessments...

Are you not going to be doing an internship for your doctorate? Or are you wrapping that up now? Are you looking for a postdoc in psych? Or just a typical social work job...

Pay scales are going to vary... I know some LCSW's who make as little as 35k with 5 plus yrs of experience. Some will do independent private practice and our reimbursement rates for Medicaid are not great and almost got slashed a few weeks ago with budget cuts. Do you sit on any panels? DSS is hardly hiring in any county, schools are definitely not hiring social workers, some hospitals are hiring but VERY few... not even large ones like UNC... they've had maybe 1 MSW-level posting in the last 6 months...

Good luck with your move, please PM me if you have any other questions. RDU is the BEST area in the state to find social work jobs right now. I just turned down an interview in Chapel Hill... it seemed like a GREAT agency... I just don't see myself in that community right now. Hit up Craigslist and just shoot out your resume... see what sort of feedback you get in return.

Be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina