Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 41,459 times

Advertisements

I am a single Dad. With a little luck, I will soon be accepting a carreer position at a relatively new Children's Museum & Science Center in downtown Rocky Mount, NC. Having read nothing but negative comments (so far) about RM, I am wondering if anyone could recommend a city/town within 10-20 miles where I might rent a nice apartment (or small house). I am particularly concerned about finding acceptible daycare for my six year-old son during the summer months, as I work during the day. Any advice from either local folks OR transplants who made a sucessful adjustment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 11:49 AM

30 posts, read 140,478 times
Rocky Mount has some really nice areas and over all its a nice place. Not much to do but nice. I have family there and we visit quite often. Look over in the westridge area. The houses are really nice.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:53 AM

Will actually be looking to rent. I'm wondering about somewhere between RM and Greenville? College town? Might have more to do? Don't want more than a 15-20 mile commute into RM for work. Thanks!
-ss

Old 03-14-2007, 12:03 PM

30 posts, read 140,478 times
My husband brought a house for his mom there to be closer to her sister but she doesn't want it, so we rent it out. I believe the rent there is cheap. We rent this house out at $495 and it is a ranch with a pretty big lot. Try
http://www.bh-realty.com/

They are the property mgmt co that handles our house. Good Luck!

Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Go just a little south of RM to Wilson. They're having a mini-revolution of sorts and there's been a lot of new homes and commercial building on the north side of town. Super easy commute to RM.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:13 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
I live in RM right now, we have not found a house to buy yet. I second the suggestion about Wilson, they are by far the better city. I was told to stay north west or west of Wilson proper. Don't move into Edgecomb County (that would be between RM and Greenville) I have heard that it floods over there. You will have a fine area by keeping Wilson in your sights. Search the threads using RM and Wilson and you will find older posts talking about this general area. There are some very fine people over here, meaning RM and Wilson. I might add that I have never had any problems here in RM. You can PM me if you need any specifics, but the Wilson Chamber of Commerce should be able to give you an idea of what is going on down there.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 PM

36 posts, read 109,391 times
Nashville is a cute town that is 10 miles west. It has alot of good areas. I am unsure of rentals. Or as another poster said, the Westridge area of RMT is not bad.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:41 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,665 times
I agree with PLS, Nashville's probably your best bet. With a 6 year old, I'm told by many that Red Oak and Nashville have the best elementary schools. You can often get a rental house for a decent price! I have some clients that might have houses, PM (quick, today's my last day at this job!) and I can call them (you'd have to send a number to call)
PS-Edgecombe is not just known for its flooding...it is known VERY well for poor schools, poor economy, higher crime. Stay clear!!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Exclamation Rocky Mount 20-mile radius, new start, more detail...

Considering: (West) Rocky Mount; Wilson; Nashville, out toward Greenville, Red Oak, ANYWHERE within ~20 mile radius of RM. Higher elevations somehow sound more promising.

Looking for a RENTAL situation - I love historic downtowns and would love a place on or above a nice "Main Street, USA" type location. A private cottage or bungalo would be wonderful, as I enjoy doing yard work! I would make a great neighbor or caretaker. Looking to live near same.

Will also require access to outstanding daycare for my six year-old who will spend summers and holidays with me.

Advice and opinions are appreciated but please explain personal opinions with details I can see when I get there.

For example:

Why is Rocky Mount's downtown described as "dead" when there is a new Children's Museum, Science Center, Art Museum, etc.

What is this "drug problem" I keep hearing about?

I'll be serving a largely (~60%) black community, which isn't a problem for me - But as a white man, will I encounter problems living there?

Why is it that I read so many references to "litter lining the highways" and people who "just don't care?"

Are there night-life or other weekend cultural options for a single 40-ish male in/near any of these towns?

Much less importantly, can I go out for an occasional drink or are these "dry" cities/counties?

Please be specific folks. Observations I can verify are so much more helpful than unqualified personal opinions.

Thanks for all the info so far! These forums have been my best source of anecdotal information so far. Can't wait to visit!

-ss

Old 03-15-2007, 04:34 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
Raleigh has weekend stuff to do. Of course their are typical restaurants, etc. in Wilson and RM. None of these counties are dry anymore to my knowledge. The last dry county I am aware of went "wet" about 10 years ago.

One reason for an above average amount of trash on the roadsides might be that in the counties there is often no trash pick up....one must carry their refuse to a local recycling center...which means a golden opportunity for litter to blow out of the back of a pick-up truck. The cities will have curbside pick-up within the town limits.

People who just don't care....remember their are a lot of folks living right at or below the poverty line in these areas who might be more concerned with day to day living than keeping up with the jones's. I have lived in this area since 1984 and have found the people in general to be much more caring than those in the large city of 500,000 that I left. Would never consider moving back unless it was to take care of my parents.

Race relations...250% better than 30 years ago...still have a way to go, treat people the way you wish to be treated and you will probably never experience anything worse than a stereotypical ignorant verbal slur.

Daycare, there are plenty of options here, most likely you will find the best fit networking with your co-workers. The biggest negative is the public schools are not very good, experienced alot of "white flight" to the private schools. We send our kids private until high school, the public high schools in our county (wilson) offer more opportunities in my opinion. But the disciplined enviroment of the private elementary and middle grades was a must for us, in order for our kids to get a great grasp on the basics without alot of unnecessary disruption.

Drug problem....the area's proximity to interstate 95 is a drawback, since 9/11 the amount of drugs moving up 95 has increased a great deal due to the strict enforcement on the airways. Also, to be frank, when a large percentage of the population is a product of a poor educational enviroment AND of low socio-economic standing, drug use and sales is going to be higher, wherever you go.

There are rentals everywhere, pay a little more for one in a nicer area. For instance my good friends, a mixed couple in their 60's, live very close to downtown Kinston, and have to be quite vigilant in locking doors, being aware, especially after dark, and frankly they carry pistols. Rocky Mount and Wilson downtowns are exactly the same, there are people there who make their "livings" thugging, it is just a sad fact of life. For some reason there is a segment of our society who feel that they are somehow entitled to what others have worked hard for.

The good news is that if you will locate yourself in a good area, you will have like minded people around you who will look out for you, as you will do for them. It is not at all a hopeless situation, it's just the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina