Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,982 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm an early childhood teacher (pre k-3 certification) looking to get out of NW Ohio...it's really bad up here for teachers. No one is hiring, and if a job is posted, 9 times out of 10, they hire from within their district. If not, there are 200+ applicants for one job.

While I am grateful I have a job, I absolutely hate where I am because the higher ups at my school know we teachers need a job and feel they can do anything they want to us because why would we leave? I have always wanted to move to NC, but my fears got the best of me. I will be 26 this year and I hate my job (I don't want the place I'm working at to suck the teaching passion out of me, as I feel that is happening the longer I stay there). I feel in my heart it's the right time to move. I know that the the economy in the USA is in bad shape, but I was wondering if there is still a need for early childhood teachers in NC and if so, where?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:31 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,117,449 times
Have you tried the teacher job sites? I think I have seen a few early childhood positions in MI...Not sure how many applicants per job there are here?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:43 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,430,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianGal315 View Post
Hi! I'm an early childhood teacher (pre k-3 certification) looking to get out of NW Ohio...it's really bad up here for teachers. No one is hiring, and if a job is posted, 9 times out of 10, they hire from within their district. If not, there are 200+ applicants for one job.

While I am grateful I have a job, I absolutely hate where I am because the higher ups at my school know we teachers need a job and feel they can do anything they want to us because why would we leave? I have always wanted to move to NC, but my fears got the best of me. I will be 26 this year and I hate my job (I don't want the place I'm working at to suck the teaching passion out of me, as I feel that is happening the longer I stay there). I feel in my heart it's the right time to move. I know that the the economy in the USA is in bad shape, but I was wondering if there is still a need for early childhood teachers in NC and if so, where?

Thanks!
Why did you decide on NC? Do you have family or friends here? I imagine that there is a need for E.C. teachers but NC is a growing state. Chances are your odds of getting a job will not be lower here.

Quote:
9 times out of 10, they hire from within their district. If not, there are 200+ applicants for one job.
This is happening here especially in the more densely populated areas. You probably have a better shot at getting a job in a more rural area. However that may be a catch 22 - fewer people can mean fewer children and child care facilities/schools.

Here are the NC Division of Child Development and NC Dept. of public instruction websites.

The economy is also worsening here. As you've probably read, the most common advice you'll get is a)get a job before you move or b) have 6 months to 1 year of savings when you move.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:02 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 522,260 times
First off, NC is a wonderful state to live in. I can't say I blame you for wanting to leave Northern Ohio. I too defected from Ohio about 10 years ago and am grateful everyday. That having been said, you might be a couple of years behind or missed the boat as they say.

Over the last decade the state as a whole, especially areas around Charlotte and Raleigh have grown tremendously. With that, so has the demand for qualified teachers. But, the tight economy has hit NC, just as it has every other state. School boards are facing major budget cuts, which in turn will probably mean less teaching jobs. Some of the larger systems are even looking at the possibility of teacher cuts.

My point, I know you hate your job, but right now a bad job is better than an uncertain job. I'd hate to see someone move across the country, only to see their job cut within the first year. If I were you I would consider sucking it up and trying to make the best of the Mistake on the Lake...I mean cleveland (just kidding, I actually kinda like Cleveland) for the next year or so. Once the economy turns around - and it will - given time, the NC growth pattern will pick right back up where it left off and new schools will continue to be built and more teachers will be needed.

You are still plenty young, be patient and things will improve for you. Good luck.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,409,969 times
NC is looking for teachers all over

try cumberland county, and especially robeson county..especially with ft. bragg expanding teachers are very much in need

Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
QCP

185 posts, read 522,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
NC is looking for teachers all over
That's not necessarily true at this current moment. Also it is important to understand, that NC is just like any other state, there are some undesirable areas here as well. When I say undesirable, I mean more in terms of relocating criteria. Such as, most people would find a smaller, more rural area that lacks other transplants to be rather unattractive when looking to relocate. Yes, people have flocked to NC in rather large numbers, but most of those people have found homes in the larger metro areas (Charlotte or Raleigh) or trendy spots such as Wilmington or Asheville.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:18 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,063,479 times
Wake County Schools just announced a freeze on hiring until June 30, 2009.

Google "Wake County School District" to find more info on their home page about this story; if it's not there, use their Search.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 AM

161 posts, read 514,185 times
I would not move until you have secured a teaching position! Very risky.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,836,117 times
I'll be graduating in a couple of months, also with early childhood and reading endorsements. I'll be attending the teacher job fair at the university I'm attending in April. Looking at the districts so far signed up at this job fair are a great number NC school districts, including Wake and yes they are looking for elementary teachers. I live in Michigan and I would like to stay here, but I know the realities of the situation. Jobs, especially here for teachers, are next to impossible to get with the glut of new teachers coming in and veteran teachers looking for the same jobs after being laid off So a move out of the state is a very real possibility. My advice is to see if you can attend any job fairs that are taking place in any given state. There are many this spring. Just search on the web. I totally agree on the advice given earlier that you should have a job nailed down before even moving. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 AM

3 posts, read 7,982 times
Thanks for the info! I'm actually attending a job fair next Friday, march 6 for a bunch of different districts in NC...I would never move somewhere without a job, I'm not that big of a risk taker! I know it's bad everywhere, but the fact that somewhere in NC is having a teaching job fair is good! There's only one I know of in NE ohio and it's not beneficial, except if you want to move out of state, those vendors are the ones that hire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina