Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 PM

219 posts, read 852,830 times

Advertisements

I know, I know.
I asked this before.
ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SMITHFIELD/SELMA.
I haven't heard good things about Selma.
Hoping there are few more natives who have joined and can give us some info about that area.
We are set on Calabash/Shallotte area but if the retirement money doesn't meet the housing cost.............well, we have looked at homes in Smithfield/Selma.
If I'm getting to be a pain in the ... with this request feel free to tell me to SHUT THE .... UP.
I will and I won't be insulted.
My wife tells me that twice a day.
Denny
Woodlynne NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,363 times
Selma is not a good place.I have two homes here and would sell in a heart beat but have put too much money into them to leave.There are lots and lots of low income housing which ruin the good town we once had.Clayton and Garner are the best if you are looking to resale later.If you want a good quite town to retire them Pine Level is the best.The people in Pine Level are the best and most of the people owns their own home.That is the most important thing to look for.If you find one you like check to see if the homes around it are home owners or renters.Good luck.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:25 PM

80 posts, read 461,593 times
I'm not a Smithfield/Selma native; but my Dad grew up in Johnston County, and my family has lived in the area for generations. I agree with Donna Kay, you'd probably be more comfortable closer to Raleigh, like Clayton or Garner. For my money, I'd rather be in Brunswick County- between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. How did you even find Smithfield/Selma, just get off I-95 at exit 95 or 97 on a drive to somewhere else? Beyond the outlet mall, Ava Gardner museum, and a fairly quaint downtown area, there isn't much else to the towns from my perspective.

Let me know if I can be of additional assistance to you.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:53 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
I lived near Selma from 1985-1992 in Micro to be precise and you would just about have to hogtie me to return. The crime rate for drugs and DWI was really bad when I was there. If I were to go back to Johnston County as my husband was from there I would go to Clayton in the far western area of the county and near Raleigh. Much better area although Selma/Smithfield does have these great outlet stores if you are into that sort of thing. But it didn't out weight the prospects of getting killed by a drunk driver on the weekends for me.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:42 AM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
We were just in Smithfield for 3 days while we were checking out the Triangle area as we plan to relocate this summer. We stayed there mainly for the convenience of being right off 95 and being East of Raleigh(we planned on visiting Wilmington for 3 days after our visit to the Raleigh area)...we stayed at the Best Western right in the same complex as the outlets in Smithfield.

We didnt care for Smithfield really at all. Yes, the downtown is sort of quaint, but we also saw our fair share of run-down areas and seedy looking people. It is also is too far "out" for us(meaning hick-ish). The same goes for the Four Oaks and Selma areas, although Four Oaks seems to have more nicer developments, yet less amenities such as stores etc. Its MUCH smaller than Smithfield and more rural.

I would not consider moving to any of those areas.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:01 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njprintman View Post
I know, I know.
I asked this before.
ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SMITHFIELD/SELMA.
I haven't heard good things about Selma.
Hoping there are few more natives who have joined and can give us some info about that area.
We are set on Calabash/Shallotte area but if the retirement money doesn't meet the housing cost.............well, we have looked at homes in Smithfield/Selma.
If I'm getting to be a pain in the ... with this request feel free to tell me to SHUT THE .... UP.
I will and I won't be insulted.
My wife tells me that twice a day.
Denny
Woodlynne NJ
Printman im truly sorry your plans fell through, I know you were excited to go to calabash. I would not recommend selma or smithfield, why not try new bern or greenville.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:31 PM

291 posts, read 1,781,558 times
Hey newmom we were staying at the same best western as you last week! I didn't mind the area at all. We like some houses in Benson,Four OAks and Clayton. If you need help with anything Debbief here on citidata is awesome and was a great help to us.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:24 PM

460 posts, read 2,421,504 times
Selma is in the "tornado alley" which means the statistics Selma-area historical tornado activity is slightly above North Carolina state average. It is 26% greater than the overall U.S. average.
I would say stay above Garner. Fuquay-Varina is nice.
Selma has an amtrak station as well.
The best part of Smithfield is the ham and yam festival http://www.downtownsmithfield.com/events.html
This year its May 4/5 if yall are there on that weekend get your ***** to the ham and yammy. I used to go every year. It is a microcosm of the local flavor/culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina