Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewire View Post
@ lovesmountains

Again, I really appreciate all of your answers.

One quick question, what is the highway like between Gastonia and Hickory? Lots of lights? Dedicated 2 lane highway with off ramps? I know that if its about 30 miles and no lights, I can probably zoom through there in 20 minutes or so and it wouldn't be as bad as it seems.
Gastonia to Hickory is A DREAM. 321 is a limited access 4 lane highway. If you enter it from I85 there are two small redlighted intersections to go thru right there, then it is a straight shot to Hickory, with no stops til you are in Hickory itself. The drive up is really quite scenic, not heavily trafficked, and pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 12:31 PM

124 posts, read 168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewire View Post
I'm glad you are reporting favorbly about Hickory. I might have to broach the subject with her again. I appreciate your replies. She is from eastern Tennessee so she is vaguely familiar with the area.

Can you tell me a little bit more about Hickory? Food options? Pace of life? Schools in particular? Is the city transitioning away from furniture as a lot of that is now done overseas? Is the city continuing to grow or stagnate? I have heard people describe it as pretty dead and other people describe it as a market that will soon be expanding rapidly. Can't get a good handle on it :-) especially since I can't visit anytime soon to guage it.

I have a 2 month old so schools is a pretty big consideration..
Like most areas in NC, it is mostly chain restaurants, but there are lots of options, just like in Gastonia. I find the mall comparable to Gastonia's as well (both were pretty nice). There are new construction homes, and the schools are not nearly as overcrowded as in my area. The parents were always really involved and the kids were well mannered when I was working with the schools up there. Yes, the furniture industry has slowed, and there are other industries moving in. I really think it will grow at a steady pace, not too quicky, over the next several years.

I am hoping some people living in Hickory will post on here to help you out!
I go there for business now and in the past and I really found the people enjoyable and the city pleasant-- much more so than some of the other options you mentioned.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina