Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:35 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times

Advertisements

"Years and years and years ago there was no public trans in NYC, but BUSINESSS came which forced PEOPLE to come and they wanted an better way to get to work WIHTOUT traffic."

Doing a quick search on the history of mass transit in NYC, it seems that mass transit existed long before automobiles did. The first NYC subway was in 1870, and by 1910 they had an established subway system. So it seems that the modern NY transportation system was built around subways, rather than the subways being an alternative to commuting in an automobile. Also, it would seem that both people and businessses[sic] were around before both of these things. Anyway, I'm not sure how any of that is relevant to North Carolina.

"it was a thought not a request to be attacked by many who now NOTHING about the transit system and the way of the life of those of us here in the island and NYC"

Likewise, it was a 'thought' by someone who knows nothing about the transit system and the way of life of those of us here in the Carolinas.

Last edited by anonymous; 06-23-2006 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 01:46 PM

132 posts, read 403,830 times
I still don't understand this, after being on these boards for a while and talking to so many different people moving for different reasons: why do you want to move somewhere (I'm assuming you think it is better than you are) and then change it all around to be just like where you came from? It really blows my mind. I mean people want this type of store there and this type of transit system and it is all the same as they had before.

We want to move there because we don't like what we have here. We don't like busses and subways. I honestly hate the city and don't want to live in the city. That is why I thought I was moving to "the country". Why in the world would we want to turn all of the country land into a city subway system. I really don't get it.

Don't get me wrong I don't have anything against anyone who does want to take public transportation for whatever reason they might have, I prefer to carpool with people that I know as a way to help the environment personally. I'm just don't know why one who relies on public transportation would want to purposely move somewhere public transportation isn't prevalent, and then tell the people when they get there that that place has to get it. Perhaps that isn't what the original poster meant, however, think about how it comes across. I'm not even down there yet and that is how it sounded to me.

Both sides make very good points I suppose (except for "those kinds of people" statements which rubbed me the wrong way considering there are many different people who take public transportation for various reasons).

Old 06-23-2006, 01:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
I might have to agree with Red in spirit. To some extent it must seem like outsiders (and those moving down are all outsiders, including self) are attempting to suggest what we consider "improvements". While Wen's original question was harmless, it would seem a lot of people are saying what NC "needs" from "a far"- it is somewhat of an arogant stance to take (and I've probably been guilty of it too). I guess if someone who hadn't even moved into *my community*, yet started suggesting changes to *my community* and they aren't even truly a member of the community yet, I'd get a little upset too.
I agree with you on that. It's exactly what we are resented for. We keep hearing how outsiders move down and start their sentences with "The way we did it....."
It's understandable to be angry when people just considering a move are making suggestions on how Southerners have been doing things forever. Wen's question WAS harmless, though. She took some misdirected anger, I think!

We "outsiders" have to really be conscious of the strong roots and pride Southerners feel. I am a native New Jerseyan and proud of my roots as well, but I really don't think it's the same thing. We are used to being surrounded by transients. This is a whole new ballgame for most native Southerners.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,153 times
Super Magnolia - I think you made a great point, and it all goes back to "It is not way you say-but how you say it" I am not trying to change it there....To go into ALL the reasons for moving at this time and in this post is pointless...I was trying to make a suggestion that people complain how much traffic and congestion, etc and maybe if something (not nec a subway or a bus) was put into place this could help ease that and make it nice...

Many people us busses etc because they do not have the means of a car and I also agree with you how those who use the system are referred to.

As the saying goes, be nice to the people on the way up, as they are the same people you will meet on the way down....

We all are different and have reasons for wanting to be there as those you are natives and the growth to some, if not wanted... But until you (not directed at you specifically) walk in another mans shoes....

I live on Long Island and would NOT live in NYC...(anyone who has been to both, knows, they are a world of difference)...subways/transit/etc really has little to do with my staying or going....

Old 06-23-2006, 01:55 PM

thank you jersey mom, again I was not trying to start another war, and here we go again and I am not looking to change things...If I had it so great here, why would I leave (rhetorical)....I think I am now just going to leave this topic alone, so everyone, how's the weather where you area?

Old 06-23-2006, 02:02 PM

132 posts, read 403,830 times
Well as far as traffic, like I've said all long it is relative. I mean those who are natives to Carolina are very concerned because it didn't used to be that way, but if you are coming from a place where you are pretty much used to the traffic (Northeast for example) then it doesn't seem to phase you as much. I mean we don't think the traffic is that big of a deal, but I completely understand how others might be upset at the influx, considering the same thing happened here in my home state. Just a few years ago all of these roads we have here were farmland. Sad.

And yes, people use public transportation for all sorts of reasons. I like to put less stress on the environment so that is why I am in favor of public transportation, and it does save money too. I must admit though I am selfish and I do like to drive my own vehicle, hence the carpool thing. It doesn't make sense to pressume everyone who uses public transportion is doing so for the same reason.

As far as the weather... its raining cats and dogs here! Our power went out for a minute, but not long enough to send us home. Come on 5pm!

Old 06-23-2006, 02:03 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Wen, I agree that some the responses you got were misdirected anger.

But, the first thing you said was: "the natives may not like it..", so it would seem that you were aware of the negative potential that your statement had. Methinks maybe if you had phrased it more like a question, the discussion would've taken a more friendly direction. And I think that could be applied not just to this thread, but to a lot of these flamewars that start on the board.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:14 PM

Thank you everyone for understanding or not. I do apologize if I offended anyone - that was not my intent...

I personally rather drive that use my own car UNLESS I am going to the city, as I do like to see the occassional broadway show and the only reason is because, I hate to say it, the traffic and limited parking and to park in a lot is very costly.

I only wish the best of happiness to everyone and for everyone to find what is best for their family...

Old 06-23-2006, 02:45 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
I think I may have been one of those outsiders who would "push", for lack of a better term, an outside sensibility. I can understand how someone might take exception to that. And that's fair.

At the same time, Charlotte, the Triangles, etc. are high growth areas, and growth is projected to grow at a high rate. My suggestion (dripping in sarcasm as it was) is based upon a pragmatism that seems unavoidable. Since the most populated areas ARE going to grow at a high and rapid--in people and in business--how best to handle the inevitable issues of traffic congestion?

Old 06-23-2006, 02:52 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times
This subject is getting a bit rancorous, isn't it? I can't disagree with those who don't want to be taxed for something they will never use but on the other hand wishing such a system was available is not grounds for excommunication from the human race. Not everyone has the financial wherewithall to either own a car or to live where access to everything is convenient. Additionally, some people are unable to drive for medical reasons and having an easy-to-use public transportation system available would certainly facilitate their movement within an urban area. That said, I live in Houston and we actually have a small light rail line but it doesn't seem to actually run anywhere anyone wants to go and the proposed extension is slated for yet another lightly used corridor instead of running where the bulk of the ridership is located. Personally I would use it in a heartbeat if it went where I needed to go - I would do just about anything to get out of the gridlock traffic I have to inch along in each day of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina