U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 20,884 times

Advertisements

I was cited for speeding (78/60) in Columbia, SC over Christmas and am in the process of figuring out what to do about it. I do hold a North Carolina license I considered paying the fine to the court in Columbia, but I am concerned about my insurance rates in North Carolina.

If I were to pay the fine for the ticket in South Carolina, I have been told that NC could suspend my license, since the infraction was > 15 mph, and insurance points will be added to my record. My question is this: If I pay the fine in SC, would it be possible to use my prayer for judgment in NC to keep the insurance from being affected? Also, will NC DMV suspend my license?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 AM

770 posts, read 2,614,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncwj83 View Post
I was cited for speeding (78/60) in Columbia, SC over Christmas and am in the process of figuring out what to do about it. I do hold a North Carolina license I considered paying the fine to the court in Columbia, but I am concerned about my insurance rates in North Carolina.

If I were to pay the fine for the ticket in South Carolina, I have been told that NC could suspend my license, since the infraction was > 15 mph, and insurance points will be added to my record. My question is this: If I pay the fine in SC, would it be possible to use my prayer for judgment in NC to keep the insurance from being affected? Also, will NC DMV suspend my license?
I'm not sure how you think that you could use your PJC to influence an offense in a different state. The PJC can only be used (as far as I know and I'm not a lawyer - although I did sit next to one on a plane once) in NC.

My immediate thoughts , having seen this question asked a number of times, is to go to court and get it knocked down to a lesser offence (probably cheaper and more likely to happen if you got a local lawyer to represent you)
Hope that helps

Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 20,884 times
Thanks for the reply. I was simply under the impression that PJC is something used to take Insurance Points off your record, which I understand to be separate from Driver License Points in NC. Since South Carolina will report the infraction to NC DMV, and they will assign Insurance Points to my record, I thought PJC would apply in that sense. Regardless, I have decided to get an attorney to help me with a decision. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
I'm not sure how you think that you could use your PJC to influence an offense in a different state. The PJC can only be used (as far as I know and I'm not a lawyer - although I did sit next to one on a plane once) in NC.

My immediate thoughts , having seen this question asked a number of times, is to go to court and get it knocked down to a lesser offence (probably cheaper and more likely to happen if you got a local lawyer to represent you)
Hope that helps

Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 PM

635 posts, read 2,915,787 times
Default Hire an attorney.

Hire an attorney. It'll cost ya, but possibly lost you much less in the long run.

I'm actually surprised you haven't already been deluged with letters from attorneys soliciting their services for your ticket. Perhaps it is because the ticket is in SC and you are in NC, but most attorneys have staff that do nothing but watch the citations come into the local court house and send out "hire me" letters

It's no guarantee that hiring an attorney will make any difference, but they know the "game" so you have a better chance.

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina