U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2006, 09:45 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,573,961 times

Advertisements

I am going to post this on the SC carolina board as I frequent that as well (LOL)....

For the people who have moved in, or for people who have opinions on the subject....how do you think that salaries have fared from companies who have looked to hire outside and relocate in?

At the company I used to work for, salary wasnt even discussed during any of the interviews...the only time it was mentioned is when the hr person asks you what was your last salary or range you are looking for..and thats it.

However, during the interview process, at my last company, becuase it is not part of the business unit for which the employee will work for, salary and relocation doesnt not become to much of an issue, as there is a seperate funds for that sort of thing.

My question to the folks out there is this. When you moved to the Carolinas, south or north..how competitive was your salary offer?

Meaning....the cost of living is less (we have covered that along with quality of life in great detail)--but did you get an "outside salary" moving in?

Did you take a paycut or were you lucky to get the same or more salary from a traditionally higher paying salary state (I.e. chicago, california, northeast).

It seems like you would be really ahead of the game if you lucked out that way. Or do the companies in the carolinas....pay less and then sell you on the cost of living factor?

Just curious...I would think that with senior level roles in large companies..this would be irrelevent as they are looking for the best talent.

Any thoughts or comments or personal experiences would be welcome.

Also whats the work life balance like in the carolinas? Do people work 12 hour days like here in the northern states..or are is the corporate setting a bit more relaxed meaning that its rare to work past 7 pm?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2006, 09:49 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,721,273 times
you must have read my mind, I was thinking this too and also what do those you live there or relocated do? As the salary factor is affected in this way too.

I also heard that if you are re-locating to get a PO Box or tele# as many companies only want "Local candidates"

As relocating success stories?

Old 06-24-2006, 10:08 AM

693 posts, read 2,615,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls
the cost of living is less (we have covered that along with quality of life in great detail
not to divert from main topic here but... housing is less but everything else i looked up so far seems to be the same or even more costly.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:16 AM

grass - I found the same things too, but you have to take the cost factor out, quality is also important and ile mum asked re work/life balance, Raleigh has been voted many times as one of the best places for that, now those you live there could tell you as I really do not know the in depth detail how they come up with these "best places" data....sometimes research shows a great place to live but ask those who live there and they tend to disagree.

If everything was the same here where I am and NC, (meaning costs, even including housing) I would probably still go...other things make it more attractive too (similar to why a lot of people move west ) climate, cleaner area, booming economy, less crowded (this is a very personal thing) and the list can go on.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:24 AM

132 posts, read 379,117 times
We won't be down there until August 1st, but from the job searching that I have done, the jobs that I'm looking for I have found that they all pay significantly more than I already make. Then again it could be because the company I currently work for is known for being cheap and not paying well. But even for state and county jobs that I've been looking at and comparing them to my state, they tend to actually pay a little bit more. For example a job like at the motor vehicle. That makes it easier to compare I think, so that is how I looked up some jobs.

The good thing is that there are so many different types of industries to do work in. I mean I could be an administrative assistant in a dog shelter, a school, the university system, glaxo smith kline, anywhere and the salary would range quite a bit.

As far as the cost of living, for us it will all pretty much be the same in the beginning. We are going to be in an aparment and nice ones are about the same amount as the nice ones here are. We are excited about being able to get more house for our money (considering we've been saving a downpayment/closing for 2 years now).

And do people really work 12 hours a day where you are? Yikes! I am in the Northeast and there is no way I'd work 12 hours a day.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:35 AM

693 posts, read 2,615,949 times
Quote:
If everything was the same here where I am and NC, (meaning costs, even including housing) I would probably still go
If everything was the same and your salary was lower, you wouldn't be able to afford many things you have now

Old 06-24-2006, 10:38 AM

91 posts, read 236,276 times
Well, this is an interesting topic. I can only give my experience, however, I have not yet moved.

I had an interview locally there a month ago with a very large major corporation. They flew me out there, and paid for everything. This was after an hour phone interview. They knew what my present salary was, so I figured they were not too afraid, however, upon an official offer, I was prepared to nego. and then accept less.

During the interview process, salary was not discussed-at all--however the in-person interview process was a total of 4.5 hours long! My better sense tells me that if they we not at all impressed and considered me a strong candidate, they would have been nice, jumped through the hoops, and then nicely told me after an hour or so, "Thanks and you'll hear from us. "

It kind of makes me wonder if they were just "testing the water" or something. I have yet to hear a word...no decline...no nothing. It's the strangest thing. It's rather obvious to me that they are not going to extend an offer, after all this time, and I'm a big girl and can take rejection, but I would think that I would at least hear something even if it's a generic decline letter through the mail.

I did follow up with the HR department and was given a "we are still interviewing" statement...so that leads me to believe that the position may still be open and I am still being considered. I am just wondering if a company would offer you less then you were making OR if the difference in salary there is a "boat load" of difference vs. other parts of the country and they can't even come close. (or feel as if it wouldn't be a "good" offer to a candidate) I guess it remains to be seen.

At any rate, I remain optimistic and focused on the big picture. There is a reason for everything.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:42 AM

grass - yes I would, I am fornuate enough to have other assests then my house and money to make up the cost difference.

Adam-Terri- Many companies look at all talent and compare skills and what the asking salary is...a friend of mine moved to NC on the coast, interviewed and never heard a word, two mos later they called.

Many companies are interviewing more and more to find the "Best" talent and some may pay for it...It took my husband 3 mos of interviewing, etc to be offered his current job and he was a local to the area-

Old 06-24-2006, 08:34 PM

21 posts, read 76,598 times
Salary is dependant on the industry and profession. IT seems to be commanding a decent salary in NC. Nursing jobs pay a little lower (the 2 being the top 2 jobs). But the quality of life is good,,if you like a slow life style. Raleigh and charlotte are both growing cities and offer a decent lifestyle (based on the comments of some of colleuges who have moved in from other states). Housing is cheaper. Weather is good and the commute is not bad. School system is not bad either.
So there..u have it from a NC resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina