Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times

Advertisements

My fiance' and I are planning a (semi-blind) move to NC and would like to find an area within an hour of the ocean. I am an administrative assistant and he is a chef-We're both in our late twenties and would like to live in an area that is semi "hip and fun" to be able to have some sort of social life on the weekends.
Does anyone have any advice for any cities that may have any of these characteristics?
We would also love advice on the housing market-we have been renting a house and would like to find a small home to rent that would allow pets-possibly even a short term lease so that we could keep our options open once we arrive. We haven't had any luck with any good websites that really show or describe the properties very well. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 04:51 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
I fear you are going to have to locate a little further than one hour from the ocean in Cary or Raleigh. You may find something in New Bern. Jacksonville may be another option also. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:50 AM

12 posts, read 129,716 times
Wilmington is only 10 minutes or so from the ocean but has a lively downtown scene. Seems that it attracts a lot of young hip types. It's also large enough that you could probably get a decent job. I'm not sure about housing affordability, but again, it's large enough so that you can probably choose different price ranges and neighborhoods.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanInNC View Post
Wilmington is only 10 minutes or so from the ocean but has a lively downtown scene. Seems that it attracts a lot of young hip types. It's also large enough that you could probably get a decent job. I'm not sure about housing affordability, but again, it's large enough so that you can probably choose different price ranges and neighborhoods.
Wilmington has the most expensive housing market in the state. If you want to buy and have access to decent jobs, I would suggest you situate yourself around the Raleigh metro area. Beach will be a couple of hours, but you will be able to afford a home

Old 03-21-2007, 12:50 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Default Beach move

Hi,

I live on the Crystal Coast--the Beaufort/Morehead City area. You might want to check out this pretty place. Great beaches--Cape Lookout Natl. Seashore is here--magical! Miles of beach to stroll and gather shells. Wild horses and dolphins. Pretty special and still wild and undeveloped. Unusual.

Lots of great restaurants here, and more opening all the time, so I suspect there would be chef opportunities here.

Go the local newspaper's web site and look at the help wanted classifieds: Carteret News Times. Google it for the url.

Re your AA work--you might want to check with Carteret General Hospital, the Community College, and Cherry Point, the military base for openings. Otherwise, call some of the local builders or real estate companies as building is busy here.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:54 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Oh, I forgot to mention about housing. You'll find it much, much easier to find rental housing in the off-season--after Labor Day-May. During the high tourist season, rentals can be scarce.

When we moved here, we rented a furnished condo on the beach from Feb-May until we located permanent housing. Our dog wasn't a problem, though landlords seem more open to smaller, well-behaved dogs...

Old 03-21-2007, 06:46 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Raleigh would be a good option for what you're looking for.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 AM

11 posts, read 65,194 times
i just went to all of the cities listed above. i am in my late 20s also, and i am from Ohio. I live near cleveland and used to live in columbus. i LOVED wilmington for the culture. there is a much younger crowd there, and much more to do than Morehead City. It is clean and pretty there. I am in the same situation as you, but i wanted to check out all of the cities first before I moved. BOY am i glad i did. Raleigh / Durham area is not at all what i had heard it was going to be. it is way too far from the beach, and the downtown hip spots are not that great. i am looking to move to wilmington. charlotte traffic was a headache, and there seemed like nothing to do.

hope that helps!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohme View Post
i just went to all of the cities listed above. i am in my late 20s also, and i am from Ohio. I live near cleveland and used to live in columbus. i LOVED wilmington for the culture. there is a much younger crowd there, and much more to do than Morehead City. It is clean and pretty there. I am in the same situation as you, but i wanted to check out all of the cities first before I moved. BOY am i glad i did. Raleigh / Durham area is not at all what i had heard it was going to be. it is way too far from the beach, and the downtown hip spots are not that great. i am looking to move to wilmington. charlotte traffic was a headache, and there seemed like nothing to do.

hope that helps!

The problem with Wilmington is that the housing market is very expensive, so most young people like the original poster (maybe even you) will have a hard time buying their first home. And renting long term is like flushing your money down the toilet

Old 03-23-2007, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,583 times
Housing in many Wilmington communities is very competitive with the Cary/Raleigh market, often less expensive, depending on what you're looking for. It is a wonderful place with a very cosmopolitian feel. It reminds me a lot of Charleston, SC. There are many wonderful restaurants, great shopping, golf, access to decent health care... the list goes on and on. The historic district is really beautiful. And then of course, there's the beautiful Atlantic Ocean. I would recommend the Wilmington area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina