Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,804 times

Advertisements

Moving from DC to NC. I'm in need of help. I'm 25 with three kids and dating someone who decided we should move to NC. My oldest id 5, middle is 3 and my youngest is 11 months. I'm looking to rent a 4 bdrm house with lots of yard. He works for the Gov in DC and will try to find a position down there meaning while I don't which city and where are the best schools and universities. I want to work from home but don't know how the pay is down there. Help please.

If you w ant you can leave messages at beautysparkles23@gmail.com. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:08 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,875 times
Don't locate here without employment secured. The unemployment rate is rising in NC. Most government agencies are under a hiring freeze.

And, please, don't relocate just because the person you are dating decided you should.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:08 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,988 times
Great advice JJingle!

beautysparkles23 - You need to give more information so that we can help you. What is your budget? Are you looking to rent or buy? What do you consider "lots of yard"? I'm confused about your post. Do you want to attend a University?

I recommend deleting your email address. From the terms of service:
Quote:
It is a bad idea to post your email address or to make it public without scrambling it somehow - there are web crawlers gathering email address for spammers.
People can reply in this thread or send you a direct message.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:04 AM

917 posts, read 2,298,865 times
Best schools would probably be around the Chapel Hill area.(Not too far from Raleigh) Raleigh would also be your best bet for jobs, but as the other poster said, the unemployment rate is pretty high down here. The triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) have some great universities but there are good colleges all over NC.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 AM

635 posts, read 3,092,291 times
I try to be a cheer leader for our hometown Sanford, but I'm going to have to concur with prior posts cautioning an open-ended move.... anywhere, not just NC.

The job market is beyond tight, although there are niche markets to be sure that are still OK. But even government jobs(local and state) are in a freeze and in some cases laying-off, furlough-ing, or encouraging early retirement.

I love to welcome folks to the state, and Sanford, but please don't put yourself in the precarious position of pulling-up-stakes if you already have employment and don't have a solid prospect at your new destination.

That all being said, there are several school districts across NC that are great, so maybe if you could provide a little more information on your likes/dislikes, interests, etc... someone could help narrow down some regions(e.g. Mountains, Piedmont, Coastal) that you might prefer.

Good luck!
Al

Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautysparkles23 View Post
Moving from DC to NC. I'm in need of help. I'm 25 with three kids and dating someone who decided we should move to NC. My oldest id 5, middle is 3 and my youngest is 11 months. I'm looking to rent a 4 bdrm house with lots of yard. He works for the Gov in DC and will try to find a position down there meaning while I don't which city and where are the best schools and universities. I want to work from home but don't know how the pay is down there. Help please.

If you w ant you can leave messages at beautysparkles23@gmail.com. Thanks
After having spent the weekend in D.C. I can completely understand your desire to leave it for greener pastures Why DO people live like that???? (all congested and crowded - ugh).

Unfortunately, this is not the best time to find jobs in NC, so best of luck. Our largest city is Charlotte, though I believe you'd find more government-type jobs in the Raleigh area - which also has a rich abundance of universities. You didn't say what you do from home, so I can't offer an opinion on how much money you can make here.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,559,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
After having spent the weekend in D.C. I can completely understand your desire to leave it for greener pastures Why DO people live like that???? (all congested and crowded - ugh).

Unfortunately, this is not the best time to find jobs in NC, so best of luck. Our largest city is Charlotte, though I believe you'd find more government-type jobs in the Raleigh area - which also has a rich abundance of universities. You didn't say what you do from home, so I can't offer an opinion on how much money you can make here.
A lot of people live like that...they're called cities LA, NY, Chicago, DC, Phila, Baltimore, London, Mexico City, Paris, etc, etc...

Old 03-10-2009, 11:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
A lot of people live like that...they're called cities LA, NY, Chicago, DC, Phila, Baltimore, London, Mexico City, Paris, etc, etc...
I live in a nice city - which THANK GOD is not so densely populated as to cause me to have to sit on the interstate for two hours during rush hour trying to go just 14 miles to my destination. You can keep those cities - I would NEVER live like that

Old 03-11-2009, 06:01 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,559,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I live in a nice city - which THANK GOD is not so densely populated as to cause me to have to sit on the interstate for two hours during rush hour trying to go just 14 miles to my destination. You can keep those cities - I would NEVER live like that
Oh I understand what you're saying about traffic, but I dealt with traffic like that and I didn't live in the city (Fairfax County, VA). In real dense cities people walk everywhere and don't need to worry about getting in their cars.

I do agree that for most people that is not their cup of tea, but a lot of people like the convenience of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina