Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times

Advertisements

The news know claiming the high in migration (do tell)which is Raleigh,Cary and Charlotte is growing jobless claims. Please dont think this area is you anwser to a job and a cheap life. More people means more competition less jobs means even more Challenges even after the recovery when and if, it will be tough going here for Raleigh and large transplant areas. Quote from WRAL
"Our economy was already struggling and then, when this recession hit, it had a much greater effect than many expected," Jolley said.

He blamed steady population growth for the state's unemployment spike.

"Sometimes, [population gains] can be a positive when things are growing because we have labor supply," he said. "When the economy's taking a downturn, that's more people that may be susceptible to unemployment."

Diverse N.C. economy not insulated from recession :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:03 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
Without growth, your city is stuck in a "dumb" state (theoretically, not literally). I'd much rather welcome the growth and endure the pains of hard times than continually shun outsiders due to a fear of the unknown. Just my .02--to each his/her own.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,806 times
I'm wondering if the soaring unemployment rate is going to start influencing the immigration debate. I suspect there will be more and more US citizens vying for those "jobs Americans won't do" that the politicians tell us about.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Another perspective on this subject may be. If a large percentage of NC work output is shipped outside of NC and the outside economies slow it only goes to reason that NC economy would follow that slow down. Here is proof:

NC State Government - output is within the State of NC hence little to no layoffs.

NC Teachers - output is within the State hence little to no layoffs just some cutback in budgets less than 10%.

NC Colleges - output is within State to educated in state and out of state students. Little to no Layoffs only budgetary cuts. Some endowments hit in Private NC schools.

Health care - output is almost all consumed within the state and some imports of the sick. Hence continued growth, adding jobs, buildings, and cost. Limitation here will be amount insurances will continue to pay for services and number of people without insurance growing and skipping Doctor appointments. So IMO Health care could be the next big bubble. So take two I-Bu-pay-2-much and call me in the AM.

Banking firms - high amount of output outside the state. Major layoffs and consolidations.

Bio firms - high amount of output outside the state. Major layoffs and some consolidations.

Manufacturing. high amount of output goes out of the state. Major layoffs and going out of business in process.

Construction. Output consumed within the state, government spending for roads still a go and getting better. Commercial spending is tracking downward and lags the personal home spending. So as those big commercial properties come to completion it will be tough for new investments. Personal home construction slowed to a real trickle due to internal and external state factors. People coming 'on average' have less money in their pockets. A lot are looking for a way out of their economic condition versus coming to just reduce their expenses after selling their home in some peak markets.

Agriculture. Mix of in state and out of state output. Holding their own but in state cut backs puts strain on farmers budgets.

So we certainly are not insulated from the outside world down turn irregardless of the new comers.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Without growth, your city is stuck in a "dumb" state (theoretically, not literally). I'd much rather welcome the growth and endure the pains of hard times than continually shun outsiders due to a fear of the unknown.
There is quite a difference in "growth" and "out of control, skyrocketing growth". Guess which one is affecting many parts of NC? Especially in a recession, when there aren't enough jobs for the people who've already been living here and contributing to the community, the last thing we need is even MORE people adding to the strain, more kids in the schools (with declining taxes to pay for them), more people moving here jobless and going on social services.

Nobody has said a thing about "shun[ing] outsiders due to a fear of the unknown" and I challenge you to point to where this has come up? The issue is that there are X number of jobs available in the area right now, with Y number of people wanting jobs (Y>X), and X is declining while Y is growing needlessly. Sure, there are industries such as nursing and certain types of teachers where we desperately need qualified workers, bring 'em in, but in general, people moving here with no job are making the current unemployment much worse simply by their numbers. The word needs to get put out that jobs are in decline here, just like (more than, in some cases) everywhere else, and moving here will NOT solve your problems when you don't have a job that brings you here--in fact, you're making the problem worse. None of which says a thing about "shunning" or "fear of the unknown".

Old 03-13-2009, 02:02 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Yep, here's another story...

"Newcomers boost NC unemployment rate"
Link: WFAE 90.7 FM (http://www.wfae.org/wfae/1_87_316.cfm?action=display&id=4851 - broken link)

Old 03-13-2009, 05:08 PM

201 posts, read 594,211 times
I say ship all the "illegals" back home. That will help a little.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
I'm wondering if the soaring unemployment rate is going to start influencing the immigration debate. I suspect there will be more and more US citizens vying for those "jobs Americans won't do" that the politicians tell us about.
the way some people go on, i feel like i'm the mexican immigrant, trying to move somewhere else.... and having the nerve to want a job no less! i would've thought the anti-"immigrant" feeling in times of joblessness was a thing of the past (irish need not apply, mexican americans being sent to mexico, etc)

Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trese View Post
I say ship all the "illegals" back home. That will help a little.
right, that's money well spent. i know i'm competing with all those illegal immigrant scientists.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:40 PM

141 posts, read 323,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
right, that's money well spent. i know i'm competing with all those illegal immigrant scientists.
No need to spend money to ship them home. Enforce immigration laws already on the books passed as part of Reagan's immigration reform (the penalties of which have never been fully enforced) and allow illegals to self deport. When it comes between putting food on the table and a roof over your head there is no job that an American won't do. Don't scoff at a job opportunity; there are many degreed people scratching for anything that they can find in NC right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina