Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:02 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,324 times

Advertisements

Just curious with all the "growing pains" in several areas of North Carolina and the unknowns of tax increases, growth, etc... is anyone who was considering moving to NC, reconsidering staying where you are? or considering other areas of the US? or doesn't matter what happens, you are going?

I was not planning a re-lo to this time next year - I came into this forum and other areas to research what is going on... I intend to follow the area closely and wait and see what transpires...even with tax increases - for me it still remains beneficial to go (as there are other reasons then money for my consideration) - I wonder how many people coming from other areas, that what you are trying to get away from, is exactly what you are going into, maybe worse (for exam Az state tax is about 1/2 of NC - I think?) with the housing markets going down in some areas, I wonder how beneficial the move remains to many...sorry to ramble...it's monday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2006, 07:26 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Well, I've lived here for over 30 years and after reading all the things on this forum...I don't wanna live here either!!! Just kidding! I'm sorry but the things you guys something say just don't sound like MY RALEIGH. I never even THOUGHT about hurricanes and the school stuff is just related to overcrowding and growing pains. I really believe that you must visit an area and see for yourself. Because if I didn't live here...you guys would scare me into not coming to live here!!! And yes...its still raining...but after all, isn't that what makes the trees and flowers and grass grow??? Vicki

Old 06-26-2006, 07:29 AM

146 posts, read 638,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Well, I've lived here for over 30 years and after reading all the things on this forum...I don't wanna live here either!!! Just kidding! I'm sorry but the things you guys something say just don't sound like MY RALEIGH. I never even THOUGHT about hurricanes and the school stuff is just related to overcrowding and growing pains. I really believe that you must visit an area and see for yourself. Because if I didn't live here...you guys would scare me into not coming to live here!!! And yes...its still raining...but after all, isn't that what makes the trees and flowers and grass grow??? Vicki
Vicki, what about weeds? LOL

Old 06-26-2006, 07:35 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
My feelings exactly...

I made my decision on Waxhaw, NC and NC in general really indepedent of any forums (I found this forum months after signing my purchase agreeement), statistics, etc. but rather going down on several trips and talking to friends that I've known to move down within the last few years.

Depending on the forums is somewhat like taking a vacation by leafing through a magazine of the place you want to be. I know that's not what most are doing, but I can see how someone can be scared off by stats, schools, overcrowding, etc. discussions.

For example, Boston (where I'm residing until 8/06) is on pace to set a new all time high record for murders in the last 10 years. Someone called and said what's going on here? The "problem" area is contained literally in a very very small area of Boston. I live 15 miles north of Boston and in the near 15 years living here, never had any issues- but the stats would say otherwise.

And oh, my only reconsideration thought was due to "change"- moving is a big deal (and hence the millions of questions that gets asked here prove that) and my brain just needed to get accustomed to what my heart was saying was right. However brain and heart are in unison now

Last edited by Miker2069; 06-26-2006 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 AM

336 posts, read 513,333 times
Don't believe everything that you read on this forum. Definatly don't reconsider a move because of anything read on this forum, especially if "i'minformed" posted it. Some people here make everything sound much worse than it really is. Take a trip and see things for yourself before deciding. The moving truck is still departing my driveway NC bound on July 7th.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:44 AM

As I have commented in other posts, statistics are just that statistics and ask 100 people, get 100 different opinions. I was just curious to see what everyone thoughts are...again all is one's perception....what appears to be crowded to person a, may not be to person B... but thanks for everyone's feedback...hope everyone has a nice day

Old 06-26-2006, 07:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Weeds? Well if its green...is it still considered to be a weed??? I just don't know if I'd consider a move based on how many days it rains? And whats up with "iminformed"? If you are that unhappy living somewhere, for goodness sakes...live is short...MOVE. My mom moved from NY to a very small town and was MISERABLE for years. I vowed, as a child, to never be that unhappy without doing something about it and I can tell you this...life is what you make of it...you choose to be happy or be miserable. 'Nuff said??? I really really enjoy reading all this stuff and being a Realtor has nothing to do with my perspective of this area...I'm just telling you guys how it is! Did I mention that I'm BRUTALLY honest??? By the way...the sun is shining and the skies are Carolina Blue! Vicki

Old 06-26-2006, 07:47 AM

152 posts, read 465,704 times
I can't afford Florida, and its way out of hand with the growth problems. Coastal
S.C. and Georga seem like mostly golf and wetlands and high end housing. I
don't even like the looks of Texas, or Lousianna. I should check them out.
Still trying to stay out of the cold and coastal that leaves me in NC. Granted
it is changing, not for the better unless you like sprawl.( my wife likes Walmart
and the more shopping the better) I don't..I like the small towns and will put up with inconvenience and slightly higher cost of living.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:54 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Weeds? Well if its green...is it still considered to be a weed??? I just don't know if I'd consider a move based on how many days it rains? And whats up with "iminformed"? If you are that unhappy living somewhere, for goodness sakes...live is short...MOVE. My mom moved from NY to a very small town and was MISERABLE for years. I vowed, as a child, to never be that unhappy without doing something about it and I can tell you this...life is what you make of it...you choose to be happy or be miserable. 'Nuff said??? I really really enjoy reading all this stuff and being a Realtor has nothing to do with my perspective of this area...I'm just telling you guys how it is! Did I mention that I'm BRUTALLY honest??? By the way...the sun is shining and the skies are Carolina Blue! Vicki

Isn't one man's weed another man's rose? Unless you've got a HOA law that says otherwise

Old 06-26-2006, 07:56 AM

Good one Mike, I started doing research into the sub-divisions and some HOA have a lot of convenants and restrictions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina