Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2006, 12:06 PM

28 posts, read 121,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
No scorpions. No cow killers either, I don't think.
I live in the very western tip of NC, in the mountains and we have scorpions,snakes,bears,coyotes and it hasn't been confirmed, but we also have panthers. I've never had a problem with anything but a copperhead once. We moved into a house that had been vacant for awhile and when we started weed-eating, somehow our little pug got bit. I didn't realize what it was, I thought it was a wasp at first, but it started swelling rapidly. Took her to the vet and he told me that it was a copperhead bite. She was fine, didn't even need antibiotic. He warned me though, that to a human a copperhead bite would be far more dangerous, as opposed to a rattler. Rattlers however, kill dogs rather quickly, but aren't as bad for humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Ok, I'm lightweight freaking out here....

We're moving to NC, we just got a house in Wesley Chapel with a nice big fenced yard.

I really am not worried about me, although I DO NOT want to run into any snakes! It's my dog. She's the nosiest thing you've ever seen and has been sprayed by skunks numerous times. Our new backyard has lots of tall pine trees, a built in fireplace and a built in firepit. So of course there is a huge woodpile out there.Perfect place for snakes to hide! We are also next to an empty lot that won't be built on that has kind of long grass.

Is there anything I can do to keep these bastards away? lol. I love my dog like she's a person, I'd be devasted if something happened to her! I know, I'm a freak.

I also just read that parts of Union County have cottonmouths! They are really venomous, heh? Can I shoot one if I see it? Or will I get in trouble? I don't think that's a good idea actually, it's a pretty nice development and I don't see my new neighbors taking kindly to that sort of thing.

How can I snake proof? anyone else live in the Wesley/Waxhaw/Weddington area? What snakes have you seen?

Thnx!
Sophie

Old 01-24-2007, 07:34 AM

22 posts, read 129,781 times
Question Greenville

I have decided to relocate to Greenville. Do I have to worry about any snakes in that area?

Old 01-24-2007, 07:52 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Default Snake phobia

I lived in condo in Flagler Beach, Florida & encountered "Mr. No Shoulders" numerous times on our UPSTAIRS porch. They also liked to hang out on the pool deck and in the courtyard. I tried some sulphur-based stuff I think was called Snake-Away & laid rope across the steps (supposedly, they don't like crawling over it.) All to no avail. The condo was built on re-claimed land, so I guess they were there first!
Our friend's Jack Russell lost an eye to a pygmy rattler.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:53 AM

Well, I've been surfing about these snakes and apparently copperheads are all over North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.

North Carolina also has the dubious award of most poisonous snake bites in the nation! Lovely.

I don't think I'm in much danger of getting bit unless I step on one, although I'm hearing copperheads are quite aggressive and will bite if you're even standing next to them!

Like i said before, it's my retarded dog that will definitely try to chase it and kill it.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 AM

I think I'm going to have to go over the new house today and get rid of those logs and rake up all the pine needles. I really want my dog to be able to enjoy the backyard and that will not happen if I'm paranoid! lol. I'll keep her on a leash despite the 5 ft iron fence.

Oh dear, I just remembered there is a 3 or 4 foot tall crawl space beneath the whole house! I guess I'll have to put wire mesh over all the vent type openings. I hope there isn't any under there already...this might be a man's job.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
I am NEVER opening this thread again!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 PM

Are you making fun of me? lol. Hey! They are poisonous! (copperheads that it).

Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
Would Sanford be in that "Eastern Plain" region? I'm considering buying a manufactured home on an acre lot about 20 minutes from Sanford. There are 5 other houses around us but that doesn't allow for a lot of activity. There are shallow wooded areas that separate the lots from each other. There aren't any lakes or streams nearby that I know of.

The last thing I want is to come across a cottonmouth or a copperhead and croak my first year there. Are they very aggressive?

I have lived in the San Bernardino Mountains of Southern California for five years. Here Rattlesnakes and King Snakes are our number one offenders(both are poisonous) but I've yet to run into either of them. I have two dogs who cause quite a lot of activity and activity is the last thing our snakes crave.
Not to alarm you, but we live in Sanford and we do have copperheads here. Not like they're crawling all over the place though, and have seen maybe only half a dozen snakes (of any kind) in 20 years of living here.
Years ago someone told us to put moth balls around the exterior of our house to help deter snakes. There may be some truth to it (or maybe they were just having some fun with us Yankees!), because like I said we haven't seen many at all. Those that have come around were in the yard and either scooted away fast or met a swift demise.
What we see more of around here are the little gecko lizards (like the Geico lizard), and they are so small and wafer thin that they can easily get inside your house and garage. Fortunately they're pretty harmless... just hard to catch!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:41 PM

251 posts, read 1,142,577 times
Sheesh! This thread makes my skin crawl!!

You'd think NC is snake heaven considering how long this thread is getting.

It's just snaking along.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina