Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 16,246 times

Advertisements

ok, my husband is looking at job opps in NC and I have to say, SNAKES TERRIFY ME!! I mean, I can't see pictures of them, look at them on TV..ETC. I am worried about possibly relocating!! After reading all these posts, I don't know what to think - finding snakes in the basement??? How do they get in there??? This is creeping me out!?! In MI where I live now, snakes are scarce!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:24 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Wife and I have been in Clayton and Eastern Wake area for over a year and the only snakes we have seen were DOA on the road.

Our neighbor said he found a water moccasin / cotton mouth on his front porch the other day BUT I have little confidence in his ability to tell a cotton mouth from a king snake.

cotton mouth -------- rat snake
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes in North Carolina?-cotton.jpg   Snakes in North Carolina?-ratsnake.jpg  

Old 06-29-2010, 05:54 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghall99 View Post
ok, my husband is looking at job opps in NC and I have to say, SNAKES TERRIFY ME!! I mean, I can't see pictures of them, look at them on TV..ETC. I am worried about possibly relocating!! After reading all these posts, I don't know what to think - finding snakes in the basement??? How do they get in there??? This is creeping me out!?! In MI where I live now, snakes are scarce!
What you describe is not just an aversion to snakes, but a phobia. I would suggest if it's really THIS bad that you can't even look at a photo of a snake, seek out a counselor who specializes in treating phobias for desensitization therapy - by the time you're done, you be holding snakes

Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 16,148 times
In a couple of year's my Husband and I are planning on moving to Concord NC and I was wondering are the snake bad there? I'm really scared of snakes. I'm moving from Chicago I see rabbit's, posums, and deer's but not snake's. it's too much traffic here the snake's would'nt survive inthe city they would get ran over quickly the way these driver's drive.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 16,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghall99 View Post

I felt the same flat out terror about snakes that you describe for most of my life. Irrational fear where I couldn't see them in a book, on TV, etc. The other person who responded is correct-that is phobia not fear. I decided to at least get to a rational place where I could recognize when I was having a phobic response. Reasonable, knowledgeable people will show up once you decide to tackle this. I took my own time & went slow, but within a year I could look at photographs of snakes & even attempted gently moving a black snake by myself. The adrenaline was there but I told myself "This is adrenaline caused by my old pattern. The feeling doesn't necessarily mean I'm in danger." I asked for advice, didn't push myself, & just like the other person said, I eventually asked a little girl if I could hold her pet corn snake. It was a VERY big deal for me & worth the effort.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:40 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,395 times
If you don't like snakes stay away the Coastal Plane. I own me a woods in Pamlico county that would make most rednecks run for the hills let alone city folks. The snakes(water moccasins, rattlesnakes, copperheads, etc., the mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, giant garden spiders, bears, etc tend to keep most people confined to the city limits.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:14 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Pamlico County, aka, "The County" got some snakes.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:22 AM

32 posts, read 68,980 times
I'd rather have snakes than cetipedes. Especially the one's here in hawaii.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 PM

351 posts, read 632,798 times
Since you folks bring this up, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. DO NOT read my next post if you are terrified of snakes.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM

351 posts, read 632,798 times
I do lawn maintenance. Right now, all lawn maintenance guys are in their busiest time of the season aerating and overseeding yards. One thing about snakes that I've learned is that they are in your yard right now.

Every year, I either kill or stir up a snake maybe every ten yards or so. These are almost always small snakes but they are down low underneath the grass and clippings sliding around looking for crickets and such. It amazes me how many small snakes I will see; especially while aerating. I can run across a yard with the aerator and while going through a typical area of a yard, I will all of a sudden see something by my feet. Sure enough, its another snake. Sometimes it gets killed by the aerator. Sometimes its just mad and scared at me stirring it up from its hiding spot.

Mostly ringnecks and earth snakes.

But I'll bet if you could somehow lift the grass off your yard right now, you'd be surprised at how many small snakes go scurrying away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina