Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 23,465 times

Advertisements

Im new to the forums. I was recently fired due to "sub-standard work". I had a review, was good for the most part and was given 10 goals I need to work on/ employer would like to see. Had some employees call out sick over the 30 day period, got busy and did not complete all 10 of them. Got 8 of them done. Day 31 goes by, no review or meeting to talk about goals. I get called into bosses office and fired on the spot.

Worked there 1.5 years, never missed 1 day, was late to work twice. No written, verbal or misconduct warnings. I was never told failure to complete all these goals would result in termination or anything.

My question is: Am I eligible for unemployment benefits? Is it worth even signing up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:32 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,266,013 times
First of all, sorry to hear about your situation - it is never easy.

My experience would say that you are definitely eligible.

I terminated someone a few years ago who literally had a 75% attendance record over 2 years.
I had to choice, it was bringing down morale.
Never an excuse, just seemed to be allergic to Mondays and some Tuesdays.
Warnings upon warnings, notices, everything documented and filed.

This gentlemen received two full terms of unemployment regardless of my irrefutable proof (time cards & pay stubs) of his lack of attendance.

By comparison, you sound like a model employee!

Seriously though, good luck.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 AM

63 posts, read 275,679 times
Yes, you should definitely be elgibile by the story you gave us. I assume they did not give you any severance. If they did, you cannot file until your severance runs out.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,197,578 times
Yes you are. File ASAP.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Yes you are. File ASAP.
Especially since it takes weeks to get it started

Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,991,875 times
Ha, at first glance I thought your header said, "fired = unemployed" and I was like ummm, yea! You should be fine, hard to fight unemployemnt insurance in general unless you stoled or did drugs and they have proof.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,848,078 times
If the goals of which you speak are annual goals/objectives that you were expected to meet and didn't, your boss had the documented right to release you. This would be considered as being fired. If you are fired, you are not eligible for unemployment. Your boss should have met with you every couple of months and provided feedback on your performance. If he didn't he was not a responsible employer. Good luck, but I don't think you will qualify. Of course, firing you is cheaper for your former boss, so that could be a reason as well.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,197,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
If the goals of which you speak are annual goals/objectives that you were expected to meet and didn't, your boss had the documented right to release you. This would be considered as being fired. If you are fired, you are not eligible for unemployment. Your boss should have met with you every couple of months and provided feedback on your performance. If he didn't he was not a responsible employer. Good luck, but I don't think you will qualify. Of course, firing you is cheaper for your former boss, so that could be a reason as well.
I am not sure that's correct, if let go from a company through a firing or layoff you are eligable for unemployment benefits after your compansation ceases, such as severance. I believe the key is Gross Misconduct (i.e. illegal activity), which in your explanation doesn't seem to be the case. There are exceptions to this, and I am no expert, but give them a call ASAP. The State of North Carolina has a set of rules ralted to whether you can claim. The basic requirements for collecting unemployment are:

You must have been employed. The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina publishes requirements for wages earned or time worked during an established period of time referred to as a "base period."
You must be determined to be unemployed through no fault of your own as defined under North Carolina law.
You must file ongoing claims and respond to questions concerning your continued eligibility. You must report any earnings from work and any job offers or refusal of work during any claim period.
Meet any other unemployment eligibility requirements of North Carolina law.

https://www.ncesc.com/individual/web....asp?init=true

Last edited by Whytewulf; 03-23-2009 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 23,465 times
I had a 1 year review....2 months late. They outlined some goals ( things they would like to see a change in). During this 1 year review we are graded on A-F grading system on certain task. I never received below a B on any of it. I have a copy of this review. I did nothing illegal. I was told we were going to discuss this and follow up after 30 days. 31 days later I got the boot.

I have already filed and started looking elsewhere. Thanks for all the replies. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Other thing that makes me nervous is my company although only 4 years old, as never lost an unemployment hearing. But while I was there we have never fired someone with going through the warning system/ gross misconduct.

Last edited by SFYW; 03-23-2009 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: added to reply

Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 PM

28 posts, read 97,260 times
I agree, it doesn't sound like you were fired for gross misconduct. If you have proof of a good review and they don't have anything of a written record of problems you should have a good case to collect.

The worst thing they can say is NO, file and see. If need be you can always get a hearing and make the case with copies of your reviews and work history.

Like stated above most employers state you are fired to save money and hope you just move on. If they don't replace you that is even more in your favor.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina