Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:06 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,669,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeohana
My husband works for ETrade Financial. They are closing the Rancho facility here in the Sacramento area and a handful of employees got relocation packages....Some to Virginia, NC and GA.

How nice that you get to visit so often. We hope to do the same. BTW where did you relocate to?
I moved to the Dallas Ft. Worth area. Hated it the first couple of years....big adjustment from San Diego! But I like it now.....schools are great and I have a pretty good savings account now because we are here. I learned pretty fast there is more to life than the beach!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 10:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,148,806 times
Harris Teeter (grocery store) has a pretty good bakery. Seems like I've seen the sourdough bread there. If you still have family and friends back in Calif...getting your fix of your favorite foods is a good reason to visit! Or have them visit you and just bring the goodies with 'em! Vicki

Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 PM

676 posts, read 3,068,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Harris Teeter (grocery store) has a pretty good bakery. Seems like I've seen the sourdough bread there. If you still have family and friends back in Calif...getting your fix of your favorite foods is a good reason to visit! Or have them visit you and just bring the goodies with 'em! Vicki
I went to Harris Teeters and Food Lion, but I really didn't do major investigation for the sour dough. It just kind of hit me after the 4th store that I haven't seen it and that I may never see it again....Oh well, wheat is better for you anyway! I moved here with at least 6 boxes of Trader Joe's food to hold me over until the family starts coming out with my food requests. I was pleasantly surprised by most of the stores though. How is Sushi in NC? What about other ethnic food? I have seen some Chinese, Indian and Italian, but I haven't wanted to be disappointed so I have only stuck with BBQ when it is time to eat out. I really like the BBQ! I am trying to remember to use the word BBQ more like a noun than a verb like I am use to.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,148,806 times
We don't BBQ here...we grill out! The food we eat is called BBQ and it must be pork, chopped up. If you are ever invited to a real pig pickin...go! The BBQ is the best ever. However, I won't pick it off the pig. My hubby does that for me. It grosses me out to see the pig lying there!

Where in NC are you? I'll fill you in on some of my favorite North Raleigh restaurants!

Vicki

Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,185,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
This is my first month in NC and so far I have no complaints. I am from the coast of southern California. I have been to at least 4 grocery stores and I noticed right away that sourdough bread wasn't on the shelves. Is it not sold here??? I realize it is originally a San Francisco bread, but I guess I just naively assumed it was sold everywhere. I don't expect to find Tri Tip meat, but I never would have thought about sourdough bread leaving my diet too!!! Aggh. I thought giving up Trader Joes, great burritos, fish tacos, and Tri Tip was bad enough. Now sourdough too?! I do have to say the BBQ is great here, so it is helping me get over my other food obsessions ; )
I too am originally from the coast of Southern CA...been here over 2 1/2 years now and so far this is what I have come up with: Sourdough Bread, along with many others can be found at Panera Bread. Several months ago we were at Earth Fare Supermarket (located in South Charlotte/Ballantyne area) and bought some Tri-tip. Now with that information provided to you...can you please quick bringing up Trader Joes and Fish Tacos...or I must insist that when your family members come out to see you....they must also provide me with some of my food requests too.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:00 PM

30 posts, read 110,991 times
Default I Gotta Know....

Ok, so you moved from Cali to NC. How is the adjustment to humidity going??? My mom is back there right now working on the house I grew up in to sell. She says the humidity is worse than she remembers. I'm in the high desert of Cali and it may be dry but is HOT none the less. Did I mention ugly?

So a few details about adjustments to climate, etc. would be helpful. Thanks

Old 07-25-2006, 07:43 AM

693 posts, read 2,755,512 times
Quote:
I went to Harris Teeters and Food Lion, but I really didn't do major investigation for the sour dough. It just kind of hit me after the 4th store that I haven't seen it and that I may never see it again....Oh well, wheat is better for you anyway! I moved here with at least 6 boxes of Trader Joe's food to hold me over until the family starts coming out with my food requests. I was pleasantly surprised by most of the stores though. How is Sushi in NC? What about other ethnic food? I have seen some Chinese, Indian and Italian, but I haven't wanted to be disappointed so I have only stuck with BBQ when it is time to eat out. I really like the BBQ! I am trying to remember to use the word BBQ more like a noun than a verb like I am use to.
The only chinese food i tried so far was a fast food type of place. i ordered lo mein but it was actually pasta lol.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:00 AM

889 posts, read 3,108,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
I too am originally from the coast of Southern CA...been here over 2 1/2 years now and so far this is what I have come up with: Sourdough Bread, along with many others can be found at Panera Bread. Several months ago we were at Earth Fare Supermarket (located in South Charlotte/Ballantyne area) and bought some Tri-tip. Now with that information provided to you...can you please quick bringing up Trader Joes and Fish Tacos...or I must insist that when your family members come out to see you....they must also provide me with some of my food requests too.
WE just discovered tri- Tip at Harris Teeters. As for Sourdough, Panera is just right!

Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 AM

889 posts, read 3,108,549 times
Quote:
This is my first month in NC and so far I have no complaints. I am from the coast of southern California. I have been to at least 4 grocery stores and I noticed right away that sourdough bread wasn't on the shelves. Is it not sold here??? I realize it is originally a San Francisco bread, but I guess I just naively assumed it was sold everywhere. I don't expect to find Tri Tip meat, but I never would have thought about sourdough bread leaving my diet too!!! Aggh. I thought giving up Trader Joes, great burritos, fish tacos, and Tri Tip was bad enough. Now sourdough too?! I do have to say the BBQ is great here, so it is helping me get over my other food obsessions ; )
Panera for sourdough and Harris Teeters for Tri Tip.
I have been here amonth and quickly found my two favorites

Old 07-25-2006, 09:24 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,185,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
WE just discovered tri- Tip at Harris Teeters. As for Sourdough, Panera is just right!

Hey Not Fair!...they don't carry it our Harris Teeters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina