Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the U.S. Census rightly split the Triad and Triangle areas in to smaller MSAs?
U.S. Census should have split Triangle and Triad 12 35.29%
U.S. Census should not have split Triangle and Triad 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for the Triad but I do know more than a thing or two about the Triangle. And, according to the the criteria that the Census Bureau says that they use, I cannot find a single argument for splitting the Triangle into two metro areas. Raleigh and Durham are so co-dependent on each other it's not even funny. People cross the county lines daily for work, school, shopping, entertainment, etc. Tons of Wake Co. residents work on the Durham side of RTP and vice versa. In addition to parts of Raleigh in Durham Co. and parts of Durham in Wake Co., remember that Cary has expanded into Chatham Co. (which is part of the Durham metro). It just doesn't make any sense at all.
Regarding the whole Charlotte/Triangle battle over whose "fill in the blank" is bigger.....the Triangle has always been a different sort of metro area. It's not a metro area built around a single city. And, while it's doubtful that Raleigh will match Charlotte's city population somewhere down the road because its city limits are more hemmed in by significantly sized suburbs in the same county, it's not unrealistic to expect the Triangle to surpass the Charlotte metro in the next decade or so. Just look at the last decade between Mecklenburg and Wake Counties. In the begining of the decade, Wake's population trailed Mecklenburgs by 4 years. Now, Wake is trailing Mecklenburg by less than a year. Just take a look at the following data from the US Census website. The writing is on the walls:
Mecklenburg:
  • 2000 - 700,794
  • 2001 - 721,163
  • 2002 - 738,106
  • 2003 -755,977
  • 2004 - 755,977
  • 2005 - 802,400
  • 2006 - 835,328
  • 2007 - 867,067
Wake:
  • 2000 - 633,640
  • 2001 - 659,506
  • 2002 - 681,212
  • 2003 - 702,565
  • 2004 - 724,746
  • 2005 - 755,848
  • 2006 - 794,129
  • 2007 - 832,970
As the Triangle continues to assert its influence over central NC and the Census Bureau comes to its senses, the Triangle will finally get counted realistically. Remember, it's not all about the "official" counts that establish a city's or metro's identity. If that were the case, then Jacksonville Florida would be a bigger deal than it is. After all, it is the largest city in Florida and more populated than Charlotte. But, let's be real, nobody cares besides statisticians and people who live in Jacksonville.
So, Triangle folks, don't fret and don't get caught up in Charlotte's ego games. After all, they have been chasing Atlanta for years. They are now "bigger" than Atlanta, but are they really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I can't speak for the Triad but I do know more than a thing or two about the Triangle. And, according to the the criteria that the Census Bureau says that they use, I cannot find a single argument for splitting the Triangle into two metro areas. Raleigh and Durham are so co-dependent on each other it's not even funny. People cross the county lines daily for work, school, shopping, entertainment, etc. Tons of Wake Co. residents work on the Durham side of RTP and vice versa. In addition to parts of Raleigh in Durham Co. and parts of Durham in Wake Co., remember that Cary has expanded into Chatham Co. (which is part of the Durham metro). It just doesn't make any sense at all.
Regarding the whole Charlotte/Triangle battle over whose "fill in the blank" is bigger.....the Triangle has always been a different sort of metro area. It's not a metro area built around a single city. And, while it's doubtful that Raleigh will match Charlotte's city population somewhere down the road because its city limits are more hemmed in by significantly sized suburbs in the same county, it's not unrealistic to expect the Triangle to surpass the Charlotte metro in the next decade or so. Just look at the last decade between Mecklenburg and Wake Counties. In the begining of the decade, Wake's population trailed Mecklenburgs by 4 years. Now, Wake is trailing Mecklenburg by less than a year. Just take a look at the following data from the US Census website. The writing is on the walls:

Mecklenburg:
  • 2000 - 700,794
  • 2001 - 721,163
  • 2002 - 738,106
  • 2003 -755,977
  • 2004 - 755,977
  • 2005 - 802,400
  • 2006 - 835,328
  • 2007 - 867,067
Wake:
  • 2000 - 633,640
  • 2001 - 659,506
  • 2002 - 681,212
  • 2003 - 702,565
  • 2004 - 724,746
  • 2005 - 755,848
  • 2006 - 794,129
  • 2007 - 832,970
As the Triangle continues to assert its influence over central NC and the Census Bureau comes to its senses, the Triangle will finally get counted realistically. Remember, it's not all about the "official" counts that establish a city's or metro's identity. If that were the case, then Jacksonville Florida would be a bigger deal than it is. After all, it is the largest city in Florida and more populated than Charlotte. But, let's be real, nobody cares besides statisticians and people who live in Jacksonville.
So, Triangle folks, don't fret and don't get caught up in Charlotte's ego games. After all, they have been chasing Atlanta for years. They are now "bigger" than Atlanta, but are they really?
Just like Raleigh wants to chase Charlotte. I am not putting Raleigh down...but out of all your post...you have never said anything nice about Charlotte. I can't believe you are from South Florida and think Raleigh is the bomb. I don't know the exact figures...only going off of Wikipedia.com.

I lived in Raleigh for years and moved to Charlotte from North Raleigh.

And by the way....Wake County is 1 1/2 times the size of Mecklenburg in area...so taking that in effect....we are still much larger. Mecklkenburg is so populated that there really isn't much land left....so ALOT of people are moving to neighboring counties & SC (only 10miles from Uptown). Charlotte is much closer to Atlanta than Raleigh will ever be. Raleigh will ALWAYS be #2nd in NC....sorry about that.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 04-02-2009 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-02-2009, 12:38 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Just like Raleigh wants to chase Charlotte. I am not putting Raleigh down...but out of all your post...you have never said anything nice about Charlotte. I can't believe you are from South Florida and think Raleigh is the bomb. I don't know the exact figures...only going off of Wikipedia.com.

I lived in Raleigh for years and moved to Charlotte from North Raleigh.

And by the way....Wake County is 1 1/2 times the size of Mecklenburg in area...so taking that in effect....we are still much larger. Mecklkenburg is so populated that there really isn't much land left....so ALOT of people are moving to neighboring counties & SC (only 10miles from Uptown). Charlotte is much closer to Atlanta than Raleigh will ever be. Raleigh will ALWAYS be #2nd in NC....sorry about that.
He never says nice things about Charlotte, yet you're always saying nice things about Raleigh? Also, if you're getting your sources off of Wikipedia that says alot. You should never site something from Wikipedia and use it as truth.

Oh and Raleigh is SOOO much closer to Charlotte in size that Charlotte is to Atlanta. The arguments have been made, but still you chose to agnore them. The Charlotte "region" is slightly bigger than Raleigh "region" and the Atlanta Region is almost 3 times the size of Charlotte. Stop twisting the facts.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Ladies and gentleman, this is not about Charlotte vs Raleigh. While this is a nice topic to discuss please not in this thread. This is pro-NC thread and how the U.S. Census is cheating our two other major metro areas of statuses they rightly deserve.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Ladies and gentleman, this is not about Charlotte vs Raleigh. While this is a nice topic to discuss please not in this thread. This is pro-NC thread and how the U.S. Census is cheating our two other major metro areas of statuses they rightly deserve.
I concur.

I just want our metro areas stitched back together. It will definitely help this area look more appealing on paper for businesses and individuals. Can you just imagine when a major business looks at the size of a market? We'll be hitting the magical 2 million mark soon, and no one besides the people who live here would ever know the full story.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
The Triad area is another important area for NC. It is big on aviation, an industry the other two areas are not really big on. I think what the Piedmont Crescent needs to do is stop competeing with each other and promote each others strong points. I wonder what sense it made for the Census peeps to split them up. It really doesn't make any sense.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
The Triad area is another important area for NC. It is big on aviation, an industry the other two areas are not really big on. I think what the Piedmont Crescent needs to do is stop competeing with each other and promote each others strong points. I wonder what sense it made for the Census peeps to split them up. It really doesn't make any sense.

Exactly. I would like to know if anyone could give some info on how we could correct this problem. What are the exact avenues to take action?

BTW. The Triad is almost the same size as the Triangle and Charlotte area.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Interestingly enough, it always seems that it is those who live in the bigger city (in this case, Raleigh) who are more concerned with their region reverting to the old metro designation. I guess no one ever thought how Durham being its own MSA might be beneficial for that city (particularly as it regards funding from the feds), as it shows that Durham has enough economic gravity to be its own MSA and isn't totally reliant on Raleigh for everything. At the same time, the CSA (combined statistical area) designation demonstrates the interdependence that exists within the region (for the Triangle, that's Raleigh-Durham-Cary. For the Triad, it's Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point). Personally, I think the two designations are the best way to demonstrate the complex economic relationships that exist in multinodal metropolitan regions like the Triangle and the Triad.

And if it's that big of a deal to leaders in the region, they can always lobby the OMB/Census Bureau to be recombined into one MSA again.

Also let it be made known that Lancaster County, SC was once part of the Charlotte MSA, but was spun off into its own micropolitan statistical area. I know that's not a lot of people, but I thought I'd share that to dispel the notion that somehow the Census Bureau is out to get the Triangle and Triad. Furthermore, several other former MSAs were broken up, including the Upstate of SC (Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson) and more notably the Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose). The Bureau doesn't do all of this arbitrarily; there are mathematical formulas that are employed which are based on commuting patterns. So if you're going to disagree about anything, it should be the methodology, not the results.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 04-04-2009 at 10:38 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Interestingly enough, it always seems that it is those who live in the bigger city (in this case, Raleigh) who are more concerned with their region reverting to the old metro designation. I guess no one ever thought how Durham being its own MSA might be beneficial for that city (particularly as it regards funding from the feds), as it shows that Durham has enough economic gravity to be its own MSA and isn't totally reliant on Raleigh for everything. At the same time, the CSA (combined statistical area) designation demonstrates the interdependence that exists within the region (for the Triangle, that's Raleigh-Durham-Cary. For the Triad, it's Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point). Personally, I think the two designations are the best way to demonstrate the complex economic relationships that exist in multinodal metropolitan regions like the Triangle and the Triad.

And if it's that big of a deal to leaders in the region, they can always lobby the OMB/Census Bureau to be recombined into one MSA again.

Also let it be made known that Lancaster County, SC was once part of the Charlotte MSA, but was spun off into its own micropolitan statistical area. I know that's not a lot of people, but I thought I'd share that to dispel the notion that somehow the Census Bureau is out to get the Triangle and Triad. Furthermore, several other former MSAs were broken up, including the Upstate of SC (Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson) and more notably the Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose). The Bureau doesn't do all of this arbitrarily; there are mathematical formulas that are employed which are based on commuting patterns. So if you're going to disagree about anything, it should be the methodology, not the results.
I think the Feds publish the methodology used for establishing or modifying MSA in the Federal Register for public comment prior to implementation.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:22 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,488 times
First, the Census Bureau doesn't define metropolitan areas, the Office of Management and Budget does. The Census Bureau participates and provides the data that they're based on, but OMB should get the credit and the blame.

Second, metropolitan areas are defined based on a criteria that are consistently applied to all areas. Generally metropolitan areas consist on a county or counties containing a large urban area (central counties) plus additional counties that have high commuting rates to the central county (outlying counties). Adjacent areas merge if there is sufficient commuting between them.

Thus Concord, Gastonia, and Rock Hill merge with Charlotte because of strong commuting from those areas into Mecklenburg County. Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Burlington and Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill don't merge because they don't meet the commuting standards.

July 1 2008 population estimates of Metropolitan Statistical Areas:

Burlington, NC - 148,053
Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC - 1,701,799
Durham, NC - 489,762
Greensboro-High Point, NC - 705,684
Raleigh-Cary, NC - 1,088,765
Winston-Salem, NC - 468,124

July 1 2008 population estimates of Combined Statistical Areas:

Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, NC-SC - 2,338,289
Greensboro--Winston-Salem--High Point, NC - 1,552,495
Raleigh-Durham-Cary, NC - 1,690,557

Lists, standards, and estimates are here

Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas

Maps are here:

Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Wall Maps - December 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina