Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 PM

357 posts, read 1,383,642 times

Advertisements

I just heard on the news it would go into effect in January.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
It's about time this state got w/ the times..as someone that moved to the Carolinas from a state that has banned smoking in bars and restaraunts for several years, its about time...this will protect the employees in these places as they won't have to work in unsafe conditions b/c of second hand smoke which is more dangerous than if you yourself are smoking, and for us patrons who hack the minute we smell it, now we can go out....it's been proven time and time again, that no bars or clubs or restaurants lose business when these bans go in place...in fact, where I moved from in Columbus, OH, most every bar and restaurant got busier when the ban went in effect several yrs ago. I now will be able to go out in Charlotte much more often. Thank god for reason.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:59 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
It should be noted that the final bill authorizes local governments to enact stricter bans than the state-wide requirements.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
Has a date been set or is it as son as the Gov. signs it? Also, are only public clubs excluded? For example, I smoke cigars from time to time at Cup A Joe......is a coffee shop included in the ban?
Don't know when it goes into effect, but it covers everthing except "cigar bars" that meet a certain criteria and non-profit "private clubs". So yes, Cup A Joe will be included.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Good glad it passed. Who would ever think that the tobacco state would pass this. Good for you NC.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:34 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyboat View Post
I just heard on the news it would go into effect in January.
Effective January 2, 2010

Final Bill (Ratified) - http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...e/PDF/H2v9.pdf

Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Lets go ahead and make the use of any cologne or perfume in public places illegal as well. I shouldnt have to breathe in the perfume from some rank broad trying to cover up the smell while I'm eating.

Then we have to ban cars near construction sites. Roadside DOT workers shouldnt have to breathe in all the toxins from car exhausts while they are working.

No more loud rap music either. People shouldnt have to worry about the damage done to their hearing no matter where they go.

Where does it end?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:33 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Lets go ahead and make the use of any cologne or perfume in public places illegal as well. I shouldnt have to breathe in the perfume from some rank broad trying to cover up the smell while I'm eating.

Then we have to ban cars near construction sites. Roadside DOT workers shouldnt have to breathe in all the toxins from car exhausts while they are working.

No more loud rap music either. People shouldnt have to worry about the damage done to their hearing no matter where they go.

Where does it end?
Sound good, Yes ban all of that also.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:12 PM

5 posts, read 16,619 times
I just wanted to put out a word from the smoking section. I, myself, smoke like a chimney, but have no desire to bring my bad habit among people who have chosen not to participate on their own. Possibly, it's because I'm from NY, which passed the same basic bill several years ago, and I'm already used to the rules. The only places I enjoy smoking inside are my own home, and occasionally bars. I'm all for anti-smoking in public establishments -- everyone who said that second-hand smoke is a health risk for employees is 100% correct.

I support individual choice (meaning in various other situations I would complain that my rights as a human living in the U.S. are being compromised), but contrary to what some have said, many of the employees in restaurants and other public establishments are NOT able to get better jobs elsewhere. Whether it be because of lack of transportation, or lack of transferrable skills, sometimes the only places available for people to work happen to be the restaurant down the street. And personally, I choose not to injure some poor waitress's unborn child because I need my nicotine fix. No thank you, I'd rather have a set of burnt-up lungs than a guilty conscience. At least that way, I'm only hurting myself.

So before you gung-ho anti-smokers jump all over the smoking population for choosing a health-harming habit, keep in mind that not all of us smokers are trying to bring our habits around the rest of the population. Some of us have taken it upon ourselves to do what we can (short of actually quitting) to avoid negatively affecting the rest of the people around us.

With that said, no, I'm not going to quit smoking until I'm ready to. And people living in this country DO have personal choice allowed (to a *small* extent). So I'm going to keep smoking until my country takes away my right to do that, and I'm sure drinkers will continue to keep drinking, and bad drivers will continue to drive. People just need to take it upon themselves to think of the greater good, even if it means they can't smoke indoors. Big deal.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:40 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Sound good, Yes ban all of that also.
LOL
i'm sick of people whining about "government" taking away their rights. it's us, the 80% of America that don't smoke, that are taking BACK our right not to breathe the crap you choose to inhale. if you're smoking in a bar or restaurant right now, you're just rude. it's too bad it has to take a law to tell people not to smoke around other people.

*also, i really don't care if people smoke cigarettes, pot, whatever. that is a personal choice. but just like walking around naked, it's not something you need to be doing around other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina