Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:11 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
The people we asked when we came here-prior to moving here we stayed for two weeks, most lived here their entire lives. Good enough for us. But we did research. That is about all that I am going to comment on the rude post left, which btw is EXACTLY what I was talking about.
I have been reading about Asheville and planned to take a look around this week. And to the last post, I have also been visting some of New Yorks websites.
The first winter here there was an icestrorm that took my breath away. It was so beautiful. When the snow did not come I started asking again.
I will look at the links left by some of you. Thanks.
My first post. I am frustrated. Thus far it hasn't been the greatest experience. We wanted to get away from liberal California. When visiting here everyone was so kind. When we moved to this plantation everyone was smiling in peoples faces then talking about them when they would leave. I always walked away when they would do this. Now I just keep to myself in this neighborhood. The people who have lived here for years tell me it is people from out of state - they have experienced and witnessed the same. And yes, many of these same people who are hurting others with gossip go to church every Sunday. Real encouraging for any non believers.
Back home never did I ever experience that. Where you would think you would find it in California, I instead found it here. So, yes fed up with it, just like the other families that left this plantation due to this behavior.

If I do decide to go to NY to look around ( I have only driven from the airport to the bus stop on my way to Maine years ago), where would you suggest? I do enjoy a five star restaurant from time to time, and the theater. However I am also a tent camper, hiker, biker (bicycles), bowler... I grew up in a small town, I am a small town girl at heart that enjoys the finer things in life not as a lifestyle, but a privileged treat at times.
One last thing. We so very much want the snow. But not months, hip deep, snow.
The photos posted- ugh so beautiful. Thanks.
You sort of sound like Liberals in sheep's clothing. I think you would not like Asheville , if , you are realy conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
We visited downtown Asheville for the first time yesterday. We were very impressed. Lots of nice cafes and what appeared to be some elegant upscale dining. We didn't stay for dinner. Downtown was more than charming.
We didn't look there when moving to NC because of costs. It is a bit pricey because of it's popularity but it would be well worth your time to take a look at it.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
We visited downtown Asheville for the first time yesterday. We were very impressed. Lots of nice cafes and what appeared to be some elegant upscale dining. We didn't stay for dinner. Downtown was more than charming.
We didn't look there when moving to NC because of costs. It is a bit pricey because of it's popularity but it would be well worth your time to take a look at it.
Asheville CAN be expensive , its the influence of all the people moving there, happens to every desirable place in North America, sooner or latter.
For my money , I would much rather live in a place, that I could not afford , than somewhere no one wants to be, but is only there because of their economic condition........there are close by towns and communities to Asheville that are less expensive to live in, and you still have the City when you want it.........

Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM

68 posts, read 195,304 times
Maybe it's just me, but NC is not the first place to come to mind when thinking about moving somewhere with snow. I realize it does occur on occasion, however...

Old 03-28-2007, 12:42 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,378,296 times
Quote:
The people we asked when we came here-prior to moving here we stayed for two weeks, most lived here their entire lives. Good enough for us. But we did research. That is about all that I am going to comment on the rude post left, which btw is EXACTLY what I was talking about.
I have been reading about Asheville and planned to take a look around this week. And to the last post, I have also been visting some of New Yorks websites.
The first winter here there was an icestrorm that took my breath away. It was so beautiful. When the snow did not come I started asking again.
My first post. I am frustrated. Thus far it hasn't been the greatest experience. We wanted to get away from liberal California. When visiting here everyone was so kind. When we moved to this plantation everyone was smiling in peoples faces then talking about them when they would leave. I always walked away when they would do this. Now I just keep to myself in this neighborhood. The people who have lived here for years tell me it is people from out of state - they have experienced and witnessed the same. And yes, many of these same people who are hurting others with gossip go to church every Sunday. Real encouraging for any non believers.
Back home never did I ever experience that. Where you would think you would find it in California, I instead found it here. So, yes fed up with it, just like the other families that left this plantation due to this behavior.

If I do decide to go to NY to look around ( I have only driven from the airport to the bus stop on my way to Maine years ago), where would you suggest? I do enjoy a five star restaurant from time to time, and the theater. However I am also a tent camper, hiker, biker (bicycles), bowler... I grew up in a small town, I am a small town girl at heart that enjoys the finer things in life not as a lifestyle, but a privileged treat at times.

NY state is a BEAUTIFUL state! From beautiful ocean beaches, to mountains...landscapes that can take your breath away! We moved to NY because of DH's health concerns...couldn't take the cold & snow anymore. I lived in Putnam county...alot of very country areas there still, but taxes are high (just found out my 1488 sf house there has a tax bill of $7500 for this year!). If you want to live close to NYC, you should look into CT, NJ & PA. All are close enough to NY to get there for a B'way show & 5 star dinner. You could even make a weekend getaway of it.

Yes...I do miss the beauty of the snow, especially on the street that I lived on. From my front window I could see a brook & woods...very pretty with snow! I don't miss shoveling it & all the slipping & falling in it.

GOOD LUCK with your search! Hope you find what you're looking for!

BxRosie

Old 03-29-2007, 02:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Hmm... On the flip side I moved here because of the lack of snow. I also have 4 houses of the same family surrounding me. We are all on 1+ acre lots so it's not like they're crowding me. Anyway they talk about one another this and one another that. It doesn't bother me, I let it go in one ear and out the other.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:04 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,936 times
Default what about....?

We lived in Eastern NC for 8 years, but as everyone knows, children change your lives. We recently moved (1 week ago) to State College PA (its by word of mouth a good job for me, and then for my husband as well)
There's two things I believe in (well, a heck of a lot more, but two things maybe relevant)....
**children should grow up with snow (I grew up in Northern Illinois....)
**children need good schools
And this area is good for both. I was told they have (normally) a couple good winter storms here a year, with summers more mild than "down there"
I also LOVE this area b/c it is where Penn State is at, so you have some awesome restaurants, good cultural events, but then you drive 2 miles...and you're in corn fields!! Yet then there's Pittsburgh, Philly, NYC, and DC all within 3-5 hours.
Point being, if you're willing to change states, you might look into it! (check out the PA thread entitled something like "Penn State"?)

Old 03-29-2007, 06:42 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,616 times
Quote:

Try Dutchess County in NY. A little over an hour on the train to NYC, and also close to the Catskills to camp and hike. A lot of nice small towns. And they get SNOW!!!
I grew up there, but moved to NC to get away from the snow!!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 AM

86 posts, read 388,665 times
Quote:
I live in NY - I read your post on what you like, and if your are truly considering NY, I urge you to look into Ridgefield CT just over the border - trust me....NY/NYC and CT forum should have plenty of information on it - one of the most beautiful, cultured, serene yet active towns I've ever been to. good luck finding that perfect place.
rscap

Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 AM

86 posts, read 388,665 times
Quote:
I live in NY - I read your post on what you like, and if your are truly considering NY, I urge you to look into Ridgefield CT just over the border - trust me....NY/NYC and CT forum should have plenty of information on it - one of the most beautiful, cultured, serene yet active towns I've ever been to. good luck finding that perfect place.
rscap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina