Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 AM

709 posts, read 929,165 times

Advertisements

Hey you will love the tax.In NJ we have one paid 1% of my sale price when I sold my NJ home almost 5100 dollars to get out of NJ!!!

Yep North Carolina looks more and more like New Jersey everyday. Except for the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 10:32 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,148,806 times
Ok...here is my 2 cents' worth...

I've lived here for over 30 years. I've seen the growth. What ANNOYS me is the developer/builder that is building a neighborhood of 600 new homes and doesn't seem to care that there is NO SCHOOL that will accomadate these children.

What ANNOYS me is the people moving into these neighborhoods that are constantly complaining that the schools are over crowded.

So...I'm FOR taxing the builder and yes, I understand it trickles down to the buyer but if ALL INVOLVED takes a small part of this fee, it really wont' hurt that much!

And...while I'm on the subject...why are our taxes currently only evaluated every EIGHT YEARS? Our home prices are going up yearly, so maybe we SHOULD be evaulated every 2 years?

I'll happily pay my extra taxes for the benefits of living in such a beautiful area AND having better schools for my kids!

Vicki

Old 05-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 1 day ago)

43,060 posts, read 76,592,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I've checked out the website for an update, but was wondering if anybdoy has heard anything new about this proposal. This is a great discussion.
Nothing here, NRG.
Hopefully, no news is good news, but I think what we are actually hearing is the wheels of power spinningnd getting greased on Jones Street.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:50 PM

95 posts, read 100,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

I've lived here for over 30 years. I've seen the growth. What ANNOYS me is the developer/builder that is building a neighborhood of 600 new homes and doesn't seem to care that there is NO SCHOOL that will accomadate these children.

What ANNOYS me is the people moving into these neighborhoods that are constantly complaining that the schools are over crowded.

So...I'm FOR taxing the builder and yes, I understand it trickles down to the buyer but if ALL INVOLVED takes a small part of this fee, it really wont' hurt that much!

And...while I'm on the subject...why are our taxes currently only evaluated every EIGHT YEARS? Our home prices are going up yearly, so maybe we SHOULD be evaulated every 2 years?

I'll happily pay my extra taxes for the benefits of living in such a beautiful area AND having better schools for my kids!

Vicki
Excellent post Vickie, even though, as a real estate agent, it goes against your direct interests.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 52,148 times
Another good solution, that is being done in other parts of the country (AZ, for example) when a builder buys land and is granted the OK to build X amount of houses, that builder is required to either build the schools or contribute the monies needed to expand the existing schools, the same with contributing to building the roads need to accomadate. In reality, why should they make all the money in building and run and hide from the aftermath of their creation?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 1 day ago)

43,060 posts, read 76,592,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimJ View Post
Another good solution, that is being done in other parts of the country (AZ, for example) when a builder buys land and is granted the OK to build X amount of houses, that builder is required to either build the schools or contribute the monies needed to expand the existing schools, the same with contributing to building the roads need to accomadate. In reality, why should they make all the money in building and run and hide from the aftermath of their creation?
Kim,
There are countless ways to run up the entry level cost of housing, while giving a subjectively chosen portion of homeowners a free ride.

Seems to me that you have described another one.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:47 PM

770 posts, read 3,670,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Nevertheless, I still wholeheartedly support it. Our infrastructure (roads, schools) are being strained to the max. Something has to change...we can't just keep building and building without paying for the needs that the community has. Residential and commercial real estate, I believe, are the primary stressors of our infrastructure, as well as the primary benefactors of growth around here. I see a tax or impact fee as necessary to bring back some balance, so that not all taxpayers have to pay for this strain on the infrastructure...but those putting the most extra burdens on it, do.
But why do ONLY homebuyers and sellers have to pay for these things? There are people moving to NC that are renting, living with friends or family? How do you make them pay?

Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 PM

770 posts, read 3,670,923 times
Quote:

Vicki
Here in Maryland they assess us every 3 years, and it stinks! All the newcomers are already paying the taxes that are up to date with their assessments, while people like yourself that have been in your home for a few years, will only see your taxes go higher and higher.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,148,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Excellent post Vickie, even though, as a real estate agent, it goes against your direct interests.
Thanks, Linus. Yes, I AM a Real Estate Agent and I LOVE what I do for people; however, that has never stopped me from being honest and stating my opinion (yhea, yhea, I know you all know this!) even when its not the view of all my colleagues, or even my hubby!

Vicki

Old 05-28-2007, 10:39 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,729,382 times
Vicki, I whole heartedly agree with you! And kudos to you for stating your opinion regardless of what colleagues and your hubby think or anyone else for that matter. Positive rep points coming your way!
Quote:

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina